Other inexpensive quality blades

I like CRKT products as well as the next guy, in fact I have 7 of them so far and will be ordering a few more shortly.

I also have several high end knifes.Anyway..........

Is there any other brand that offers the same type of style and quality for the same basic price point as CRKT ??

The one knife I can'tseem to bring myself to get is the large carbon Fiber Tanto from CRKT.It just seems expensive for a CRKT.

I would think that Outdoor Edge is one to check out. They have the Magna (Carson designed folder) and the Impulse. These are very well made knives, and the Magna can be found for about 30 - 35 dollars with zytel scales, the liners are steel. Great quality stuff.

I just ordered a Kershaw Vapor II and a Camillus Arc-Lite as my travel knives. They seem to be very, very well priced for what you get. I may add a CRKT Navajo to the travel mix as I think that it may have been discontinued in favor of the Contrail (another beauty) and may be available at a discount.

I think one of the best deals going is the Cuda EDC in 154cm. Can't beat the Spyderco's either. JMO.

Definitely the Camillus CUDA EDC in 154CM or D2. I can't say enough good things about the EDC.

The Kershaw Double Cross also rocks the house down.

The Vapor and the Vapor II (ken onion, kershaw) are some of the best values out there. for less than 25 bucks you get a servicable blade with a very ergonomic handle and fantasic lockup. The action is one of the smothest around, and the stiff ball detent combined with smooth action allows it to be opened as fast as an auto. I think that kershaw may find like camillus did with the EDC that they have made a knife that is too good for its blade steel.

Some Benchmade's are a lot cheaper than others, check out the less expensive liner locks, and spyderco is cheap too. Overall i would say that these companies actually offer better value than CRKT

I have a Kershaw Whirlwind and a Buck Odyssey that are not very expensive and are both nice knives. They lock-up solid, take and hold an edge well, and are comfortable to hold and use. The Camillus EDC looks nice, too, but I haven't used it yet.

I'll throw in Newt Livesay to the ring. I'm still amazed that he can put out benchmade knives for under 30 bucks.

I'll also put in a vote for the low-end of big manufacturers. There's a ton of value out there, from almost every manufacturer. Strictly high end companies are the exception. If you're looking for a solid last-me-a-long-time knife with a budget of 50 bucks...you can't swing a dead cat :D ...

Since none of tht answers your question, here's my list:
Spyderco Delica, S&W DDR folder, Ontario Spec Plus, Delta-Z folders, Opinel folders, Outdoor Edge Paragee, Kershaw Vapor/Scallion/Chive/Echo, Buck 110, BM Ascent, Camillus EDC, Victorinox SAKs, Cold Steel Mini-Tac, and the Microtech Damascus Halo.

Zero

Originally posted by slicer
I like CRKT products as well as the next guy, in fact I have 7 of them so far and will be ordering a few more shortly.

I also have several high end knifes.Anyway..........

Is there any other brand that offers the same type of style and quality for the same basic price point as CRKT ??

The one knife I can'tseem to bring myself to get is the large carbon Fiber Tanto from CRKT.It just seems expensive for a CRKT.

As others have mentioned, Outdoor Edge (Edge Tech) is along the same line as CRKT. I highly recommend the Kit Carson designed Magna and the Darrel Ralph designed Paragee, both from Outdoor Edge.

Timberline offers a few bang for the buck knives as well like the Worden tactical and the Valloton Discovery.

Smith & Wesson has the HRT line of knives with a few folders designed by Darrel Ralph that are worth checking out as well.

Also, check out the Gerber International line which offers some very well constructed designs made in Taiwan.

For about $50 you can't go wrong with a Buck 110, time has proven it to be a great design. Camillus also has some great value pieces I would love to get my hands on(EDC in 154-CM), and the MAXX 5.5(okay just a little bit more but still a great value). These knives are also made of better steel than CRKT knives, a big plus. SAK's are also nice, you can find them almost anywhere, and they are dirt cheap too.

If you want a custom knife that is very economical check out Dick Atkinson, you can get a nice liner lock working knife for under $200. This is truly a great value, and Dick turns out some very nice looking knive, I will have to pick one up for myself one of these days.

Erik

Buck and Victorinox are of great value to the dollar, and actually CUT better than many fancy "super-knives", that looks fantastic, but the tactical additions to the blade geometry takes it's tow, like a big spine, thick tip, or too narrow a tip that's break (i.e. spyderco), chisel-ground and an overall beefy blade.
I've never owned a CRKT folder, but they look too cheap for my taste.

I prefer the quality of the Spyderco knives over the few CRKT's that I have.

Buck and Camillus also makes great quality knives in the same price range.

Benchmade even has a few lesser-priced axis models (e.g. the Griptilian) that are excellent quality.

I also have a few Gerbers (EZ Out) that cost under $50 each and have held up under regular use.

The Benchmade Griptillians are incredible knives for the money! Can't go wrong with one of those.

The Camillus EDC and Arclite seem like very nice blades for the money.

Victorinox puts out some great stuff; the knives will get scary sharp but will lose their edge a little faster than some of the others.

Timberline seems to make a pretty nice knife too for the money. I have played with a couple of their Wortac folders and they seem quite well put together.

Don't ignore the used/discontinued market either. John Jensen has some great Spydies cheap right now, and I have bought 2 used Delicas for $25 each and a used Military for $50 in the past week.

<edited to make up for talking on the phone and typing at the same time>

With all of the numerous folders, in my "collection", I still am drawn to buy a new Cold Steel folder now and then. I know that a CS Voyager is an odd knife to by sitting next to a Al Mar SERE, Emerson Commander, TOPS Magnum, BM 710, or REKAT SIFU.

Still for the strength and sharpness a CS is a great value. Plus I am a sucker for big folders so I just ordered one of the new Voyagers with the 6" non serrated blade. Can't wait to get it!!

jayharley and I are on the same page here. For $50, you get a strong lockback that won't open in your pocket, a folder with a nice high hollow grind (read CUTTING ability here) and your choice between clip or tanto, and 3 different edge configurations! I love AUS-8 too, as it sharpens fast and takes an awesome edge.

I too want a 4" clip and 4" tanto, plain edge. hopefully I can sell or trade my combo edge CRKT Companion so I can get a Voyager.

Also, I want to get a Camillus carbon steel stockman. Not too tactical, but I can sharpen oen blade coarsely for the rough wrok and one with a polished edge for push cutting. For $30 or less, you can have a Stockman too. Great bang for your buck! Ask any grampies out there.

I also think that other than CRKT that Spyderco and Camillus offer the best knife for the money.
Spyderco offers many models with first rate materials, excellent designs,great QC and customer service for under $100.
Camillus with the EDC and the Becker line is an awesome value.

Just thought that I would add SOG to the above mentioned companies. Their new Flash line of folders and the little Scuptura look great and are very reasonably priced.

I'm very fond of the Outdoor Edge Wedge. Cost $12-14. I always take it with me to other countries, where I don't try to keep track of knife laws and feel like I could live with its confiscation if it came to that.

Back