How To Overseas axe shipping from USA

donscpoo

Gold Member
Hi all

I like check if anyone has any luck shipping an axe to a location outside USA in the last 2 weeks. I like to pick your brain on how to do this correctly pls.

I had 2 failed attempts via USPS over the last 3 weeks. More than $200 was already spent on these failed shippings so I will appreciate any help.

In the first attempt, I tried to ship 3 axes in a box to Singapore. USPS told me that it was rejected by the airline when it was about to leave USA. In the second attempt, we repackaged and tried to ship only 1 axe in the box. The custom declaration is “Camp tool”. The second shipping is too unsuccessful and on its way back to the sender now. I assumed the first shipping was rejected because we shipped too many axes in a box. I had 5-6 successful attempts shipping just 1 axe via USPS to Singapore.

Many thanks

Don

The reason for rejection is most likely because your customs declaration was insufficient. Vague terms like that are not supposed to be accepted. Simply calling it an axe, of course, can also create a knee-jerk reaction, as well, but calling it something like "woodworking axe" is both properly descriptive while also indicating the kind of axe not being anything threatening. But without knowing the specific grounds on which the airline rejected it it's difficult to say.

The reason for rejection is most likely because your customs declaration was insufficient. Vague terms like that are not supposed to be accepted. Simply calling it an axe, of course, can also create a knee-jerk reaction, as well, but calling it something like "woodworking axe" is both properly descriptive while also indicating the kind of axe not being anything threatening. But without knowing the specific grounds on which the airline rejected it it's difficult to say.
Thanks for the tips.

If possible find the harmonized tariff code for it and include that with the description. It helps customs folks ID it as permissible wares.

The last and only time I had an incoming package (with a folding knife in it) where the sender declared as "Camp tool", Canadian Customs seized it. Just sayin'. I try to remember to always ask for knives to be declared as cutlery, and have never had an issue when this has been done. I would guess you should declare an axe as an axe and a hatchet as a hatchet...?

Thanks folks. I really appreciate it. I will update my declaration and try to ship via UPS next round. I will share if I managed to ship it successfully.

Cheers

Don

The most descriptive you can be while sticking to people friendly terms is always best. In this case I think other have you covered well with advice already. My extra 2¢ is if they are new and intended for Bushcraft type use that would help the description, also if they are old or collectible.

Hi all

I like check if anyone has any luck shipping an axe to a location outside USA in the last 2 weeks. I like to pick your brain on how to do this correctly pls.

I had 2 failed attempts via USPS over the last 3 weeks. More than $200 was already spent on these failed shippings so I will appreciate any help.

In the first attempt, I tried to ship 3 axes in a box to Singapore. USPS told me that it was rejected by the airline when it was about to leave USA. In the second attempt, we repackaged and tried to ship only 1 axe in the box. The custom declaration is “Camp tool”. The second shipping is too unsuccessful and on its way back to the sender now. I assumed the first shipping was rejected because we shipped too many axes in a box. I had 5-6 successful attempts shipping just 1 axe via USPS to Singapore.

Many thanks

Don
Try DHL Express. They're Best in custom clearance

The most descriptive you can be while sticking to people friendly terms is always best.
Yeah, I got some funny looks when I said I was shipping chainsaws at a UPS store in a "big" town. In my little local place, they never batted an eye when I told 'em I was shipping saws or axes.

I never tried UPS courier. Am using DHL Express since 2 years. They never disappointed me. There prices and shipping time is excellent
Thanks. I will try DHL if UPS fails. UPS has been good for my knife deliveries so I decided to go with them for now.

Cheers

Quick update. I managed to receive my axes via UPS. Shipped 3 of them in the package and declared them as “carpentry axes”. The UPS shipping cost a bomb compared USPS.

Many thanks for all the advises.

Cheers.

Don

Back