PAGE 4(+) Home Invasion Robbery: What Would You Do? ( Continued )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris22, that would be me.
smile.gif

I don't use the term "Moro" to insult. I actually use it for clarity oddly enough as the weapon tree of the Muslim tribes has gained respect once again and has been growing since the late '80s.

Every work in English that concerned the southern tribe in the Philippines has used that term, so it is actual habit for those in the Western world and Filipinos living in the North and Central regions of the Islands. However, this is no excuse and my apologies. Perhaps 'Southern Filipino' and Muslim are better.

Re: Spear shaft length. I neglected to mention that the weapon I used was about 5' ft in length just like the Jo. Since we aren't spearmen, it should be known that all spears aren't the same length the world over. Longer meant to keep horses and people at bay.

Yvsa was talking in the sharpening thread, I believe, about the Ontario Bagwells being softer than most to minimize threat of breakage. Spears would also have to be of lower hardness both to be thrown, and to keep from breaking when hitting bone, wood, shields.

If I were going into the jungle, I'd have the Cold Steel Assegai retempered to stay sharp longer when used as a tool. For a weapon, as long as it keep its razor sharpness for a couple or five minutes, there'll be plenty of time to resharpen, or it won't matter.

And on length, the dimensions given are for Cold Steel's original ( short ) Assegai. A yard long stick with a foot plus blade and 20" shaft should work well two handed in close quarters.

If I remember correctly, the 5 foot two- handed swords were meant for chopping off the heads of the enemy's pikes, and after that the users went from both hands on the grip to one on the grip and the other forward of the guard ( remember the leather wrapped area forward of the guard on the Wallace Braveheart sword? ) Reputedly, when used in spear fashion these were more than reasonable if used *properly*.

As a Nevadan, *proper* means remember the code of the old west: if you gotta shoot 'em, do it about 2 AM on their way from the bar when they're drunk, tired, and give 'em both barrels in the back from behind cover.

Broken Arrow: are there any Archery forums where I could pick up a few used bows? Could you give me a few links?

VHD: yes I am the nut with the flanged mace behind the truck seat.

Smoke: where can I find out more about Philippino spears?

:
We have 2 daughters that work at the Tulsa OK Zoo.About 3 years ago they went to Afrika and brought thier dear old dad a Spear!
They had to take it apart and put it into thier largest suitcase from corner to corner!
If this spear is a tourist model it is very well made.Somehow I believe it is the real thing,but I could be mistaken as I know nothing about these.
If they ever go back I am going to see about getting a Big knife or sword.:O

I am not sure of what kind it is and I feel that it's too heavy to throw at 4 Lbs.
It's real close to 67" long and the spearhead is 32 3/4"with a 3 3/4" socket for a total of 36 1/2 inches.There is a small piece of hard blackish wood in the center about 12 1/2" long the best I can determine without taking it apart.
The steel butt has a socket 3 3/4" long and then it forms a 5/8" square that rounds off for a ways (about 12 1/4") and then goes back to the square and is tapered to a point.The bottom steel part is 24 1/4" long.
The spear point is leaf shaped and is 1 1/4" at the wide part and tapers back too 13 /16" going back to a quick flare 1 1/4 inch. It has a ridge running the whole length that starts at a little less than 7/16" and it also tapers back gently too 1/2 and quicly flres up to meet the other flare there.

If a person took the butt end of it off and added a heavy pommel it would make one heckuva sword about 45" long.
The blade is rather soft,but it is incredibily strong.The point is the only half way sharp part of it,but I wouldn't want to face it in the hands of a skilled user that grew up with it!
I find it interesting that the butt end of it is sharp.I presume this is to stick it into the ground so it will stand up.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

If you mix milk of magnesia with vodka and orange juice do you get a phillips screwdriver?

Khukuri FAQ

:
Rusty I do have to say that if I could justify having the Bagwell's Ontario Helles Belle that I would have one.
It is one formidable blade and is very light an nimble in the hand.I was very surprised at that big wide guard on it,because it always looked uncomfortable.I couldn't stab it into anything at the G & K Show,but it felt that it wouldn't be painful in a soft target such as a human being.

I have looked at the CS Spears.They have one of each at the local flea market here.
The Boar Spear looks mighty fearsome.
In addition to the post I wrote about my spear,I also have an african "Sword(?) It has a leaf shape and the handle is wrapped with what looks like braided grass and then covered with some kind of substance like tree sap.
It also has the ridge running down the center,but it isn't as large as the one on the spear.
I have it's scabbard and it is very thin wood covered with thin leather and appears to be sewn with the same material that's on the sword handle.
All interesting to me stuff.

An interesting bit of trivia about some of the Plains Tribes and thie use of the Spear or Lance as it was sometimes called.
The shorter the handle determined how Brave a warrior was.
The younger men started out with longer handles and cut them off as they advanced in the art of warfare.

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

If you mix milk of magnesia with vodka and orange juice do you get a phillips screwdriver?

Khukuri FAQ

Smoke, I didn't think you meant to offend anyone. I also occassionally find myself using the term "Moro." I just wanted to inform others out there about its negative connotation.

Rusty, the proper way to spell Philippino is Filipino. Another way to spell it is Pilipino, which is how my some of my very politically active friends spell it here in LA.

Christian

Rusty, there is no definitive Filipino Muslim spear text, sword text yes. Remember, every nation has some type of spear. The Philippines is just one example of an area that has many spear designs, Italy, France, England, Indonesia etc have their own.

Yvsa,
Me thinks ya got one of those Masai pokers.

Tom,
Here in the USA there are usually less problems with the law if the Perps have stopped stealing oxygen by the time the cops arrive.

Yess, I've got one of those CS stabbers. We take one along when we're bow hunting deer, 'cuz it's easier to use to finish a beasty off than use another arrow...much quicker.
Dan

Rusty, I don't have any links for archery equipment. There are some archery shops around my area, but I have not been in them. I usually by my archery equipment from the mail order houses in the bow hunting magazines. I'm in the market for a new compound bow, the bow that I have has a draw length that is too long for me. Also, Cecil at Kris Cutlery has from time to time some cool spears from Mindanao, and Sulu Philippines.

Throwing stars are rather smaller part of shuriken types, there are two major categories of throwing knives, and throwing needles in martial arts other than throwing stars. Throwing knives is one of the techniques to overcome an opponent with longer blade/sword or spear, mainly used by warriors. Throwing needles is a concealed weapons of civilians, and warrior monks.

I've learned some techniques of throwing knives or tantos, but my skill is very limited that I don't trust my skill at all, especially in precision. So I'd take a concrete nail with half pound weight or more preferrablly CS torpedoes if necessary, instead any other knives or needles to throw.

Last October I had a luck to talk with Mr.Allen Elishewitz at his personal knife show in Japan for a while, he told me about his five-point star shaped shurikens. Though they were made in his high school age, his opinion was thoughtful one. "With four points you cannot be sure to hit the target by its point, and with six points the shuriken does not go deep enough into the target."

I miss he's making no shurikens anymore.

------------------
\(^o^)/ Mizutani Satoshi \(^o^)/

BA - I thought you were the one I talked to about Cecil.

Have to keep searching about archery.

Really interesting stuff! This thread has taken on a life of its own.

Nepalis did use spears. I'll dig thru the 10,000 pix file and find a picture.

------------------
Uncle Bill
Himalayan Imports Website
Khukuri FAQ

[This message has been edited by Bill Martino (edited 01-17-2000).]

:
Thanks Dan that's probably what it is.I will have to ask my daughters what part of Afrika they were in.
smile.gif

Uncle wasn't there a spear or three in the old khukuri and weapons pix that were posted a while back?

------------------
>>>>---¥vsa---->®

Khukuri FAQ

Yes - MORO is the term used by Spaniard to identified Muslim especially in Filipine. MORO just means any race that has the same releigion as Moroccan.

Filipine is one of country in the Malay Archipelago and Muslim Filipinos are actually Malays. Muslim Filipinos, Malysian and Indonesian are from the same ethnic group. Even few ethnologist believe that Hawaiian and Maori are also belong to the same ethnic group because their very basic langguage is the same with Malay basic langguage.

Back to MORO - it happened that Spaniard knew that most Moroccan are Muslim so Muslim Filipino were considered as Moro! If only the Spaniard knew that most Arab are Muslim, then most probably they would called Muslim Filipino as ARAB! ... and all of the forumites also will called them as ARAB!!!

... but now, I think they are very proud to be called as MORO because it gives them a very special identity!

NEPAL HO!

I must say that I completly agree with the post about the staffs. It's one of my favorite weapons when it comes down to some street scrappin'. You can pick one up almost anywhere and dispose of it in the same fashion when neccessary! Another thing, how many of you have ever handled a chinese horse cutter? My instrutor is going to beat me for calling it that but I can't remember the proper name right now. I was taught to use one and I'm at least half competent with it. Once you get the feel for it, it's quite easy to use. Only when you get into complicated forms does it get difficult. At any rate they're fun. If any one gets the chance I suggest playing with it.

- D

Makes you wonder that the Iberian peninsula was, I believe, conquered by the *Moors*, and am not sure how long it was governed by them.

One thing I and most forumites have by now realized is that people abuse ( power, land, position, religion, money, etc. ). So people are evil at times they think they can get away with it. They are also capable of great goodness when led by Grace.

I don't remember which psalm it is, but it's about "yea, though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil."
In the book, it continues "for thou art with me, ..." In the American special forces it continues "for I am the meanest s.o.b. in the valley." Ask Pala if the Gorkhas have a similar saying.

Point is that the benefits of the spiritual walk are greatest when you realize your example has encouraged others. On the other hand, it would be immoral to tempt another to sin by not keeping sword and shield handy and not acting like prey. LOL. to everything there is a season, they say, or was it something like "si vis pacem parabellum" ( if you want peace, prepare for war ).

I too have a CS Assegai, and the Javelin. However, I'm like Bill-I throw them once in a great while.

-----------------
Bob

Has anyone thought about an entrenching tool or the Cold Steel "special forces" shovel? While they are not very sharp these small shovels have a lot of momentum. Also, they are combat proven. The entrenching tool seems to be a favorite hand-hand combat weapon for many soldiers during WWI.

The likelyhood of shovel confiscation is remote even here in Canada.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 01-18-2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back