Passaround! Roundknife and Skivver.

Sure did! :)

Initial impressions. Both knives are totally alien to be so some "get to know ya" time is required. The skiver feels so light and airy in my hand! The handle feels a bit short, but a short handle may be a part of this tool that is necessary. I am used to a larger thicker handle on my knives and that is probably whats throwing me off. Wonderfully constructed, the fit and finish are fantastic.

The round knife is a piece of art. Wonderfully constructed and feels very good in the hand. Like the skiver its totally alien to me so I'll be cutting up some scrap today. :D I kept picking it up yesterday and thinking to myself "how the heck am I going to use this thing??" :p

Thanks Dwayne. On the roundknife I use the short side for parbably 90 percent of cutting I do with it. I use the long side for crunch type roll cuts or for cutting very tight corners.

Dwayne, there has to be some you tube videos showing the round knife in use and that might shorten the learning curve considerably. The main thing is the transition from pull cuts to push cuts…..just be careful to NOT have a finger in front of that blade. When I use the skivers my grip is more on the top end of the blade as opposed the handle. Much better control with the choked up grip.

Paul

If I'm remembering correctly, I initially used youtube videos to get the hang of using a round knife, but one thing I got from one of the Stohlman books was in regards to push cutting tight radii. I've definitely not perfected it (advice welcome), but the idea is to rock the handle down towards the surface of the leather, even touching it. This will probably work very differently depending on the knife, of course, but it was a help for me.

Also, might want to avoid using one of those green rotary knife cutting mats. They can snap the tips off a knife with a very acute point. I haven't had it happen personally, but the tip has certainly caught in the mat while cutting a tight corner. Best to use poly, uhmw (or similar) or a clicker surface.

Agreed Paul, the most difficult part of that transition is trying to override a lifetime of pull cutting, my brain screams at me that I'm doing it wrong! :p That and yes, my right hand goes right above where I'm cutting every time before I realize it.

one of the kids that sits in the shop on occasion was here yesterday and got to drool at the knives. He did cross his eyes a little when I showed him the round knife, but the beauty of it was appreciated. As was the sharpness, that skiving knife simply sails through leather.

Yeah Dwayne you kind of want the roundknife to skate across your cutting boards. I have one of those red clicker boards and it works well. The roller mats were just too soft. I was getting the knife stuck all the time. I had the same trouble with the polys. Found a $16 bamboo cutting board someplace and that worked very well for me until I got the red clicker board. Now that all said I have a buddy who has two of my roundknives and he cuts on the roller mats with no problems, perhaps a lighter touch. Quien sabe?

I've looked at those thin green cutting boards and just cant imagine them lasting long around me. The wife has one for fabrics and that is perfect, actually what its meant for. Not serious heavy cutting.

So far it skates over my white cutting boards pretty well, better yet over my well used ones with a little less texture thanks to years of abuse. :)

A few days later and its looking more toward old dogs than it is new tricks, but I'm not going to give up till I have to pack them up for the next guy. :D

Dwayne, I have very little experience with round knife use, beyond the little playing around prior to my surgery, but I was immediately impressed at how clean my lines were. And I could actually make a straight line by roll/rock (maybe that should be rock&roll:D) cutting. My edges were so rough when dragging that darned utility knife. Also, trimming the tinniest piece of over hang from the edge by rocking was so easy with a round knife. I think with time you'll really appreciate that thing, even if just for certain cuts. Keep the comments coming:thumbup:

Looks like my time with this pair is coming to an end, come Monday I'll need the address of the next person in line!

Got more insights to come, as soon as I get them sorted out in my head.

Many thanks to Dave for the opportunity to have some time with a couple of his creations! :D

I slipped away and spent a few hours at Paul's today. Dave, I got to handle that skiving knife you sent and it's a beauty! Wonderful size and balance. I'm still in no shape for even light work, so I didn't use it, but it sure felt nice. I couldn't help but think it would make one heck of a tomato slicer:D Paul was putting together a stunning sheath with an ostrich inlay for an equally beautiful damascus blade. I managed to snap a few pics of your knife in use. Keep up the good work:thumbup:

Paul%20Skiver%201_zpskp5no55v.jpg

Paul%20skiver%202_zps7kvj8uap.jpg

Just wanted to say that I received the pair of knives today safe and sound.

I'm down and out, again, for the time being, but my first observations are that I really appreciate the bolsters on these tools. The additional weight and balance screams quality.

I wasn't sure, initially, about the square-ish ergos, but man do they just plain work in my hand. That said I've managed to cut maybe a foot of leather so I'll save further thoughts. The inlays are a very classy touch.

The skiver. Well, what can I say? I haven't used it at all. I can say for certain that it is exceedingly sharp. I look at it and think Satan's own butter knife, but in a good/scary kind of way. ;)

You're gonna love that! I've got mine on a poundo board. That helps some with it sliding around the table when using it. I find it really makes a difference, this cutting board, it allows the roundknife to skate like I like.

How is the pass around going so far?
G2

Anthony has them right now and he'll be sending them to Chris here pretty quick.

Back