Patina

Jerry, now that we're a bit into this thread, the bulk of my "disagreement" with your opening post stems from not being a fan of beer. I might use my carbon steel blades more on fruits and veggies than meats; but they do cut meat as well.
Here's an idea for you... use one to cut cooked sausage (while it's still hot). The grease beads up on the blade, and can leave an interesting pattern.

Jerry, now that we're a bit into this thread, the bulk of my "disagreement" with your opening post stems from not being a fan of beer. I might use my carbon steel blades more on fruits and veggies than meats; but they do cut meat as well.
Here's an idea for you... use one to cut cooked sausage (while it's still hot). The grease beads up on the blade, and can leave an interesting pattern.
Oooooh. I see. Nothing wrong with that pov, no one should tell you how to feel. lol, now regarding the hot sausage grease, that is truly something I have never considered. Thanks for the idea a man!

How long does it take? I never thought to purposely develop a patina, that chicken one looks sweet.

How long does it take? I never thought to purposely develop a patina, that chicken one looks sweet.
Im not exactly sure how long it takes, because I use my knives to cut up the chicken I'm having for dinner. Letting it sit a bit after eating may also help a bit.
If I remember correctly the larger areas of golden patina came from fried pork chops but you do get some of that from the chicken ( especially when it's fried )

I don't think chicken is the most reactive meat, but when it does do it's thing the result is awesome though can be almost invisible depending on the light which almost makes it a ghost flame patina.

In my humble opinion, the only way to properly put a patina a knife is to cut open several properly cooked rare steaks (obviously on a cutting board.) Preferably on a Friday night with some cold beers so that you can enjoy your new knife properly. If I'm the only one who looks forward to putting a patina on a new knife over beer and steak, then I feel bad for you "only stainless" guys. Although I still respect your opinion and am certainly thankful you are in the community.
Then feel bad for me as I prefer my blades to look newish. Don't care if a patina develops with normal use, but I don't intentionally create one.

Proper patina is a happening ! A Forced Patina is a bit of a fraud . The real patina is a constantly changing thing .
Speaking of chopsticks , I have a pair of chopsticks which seemed very light .On close examination I realized they were made of tubing !! Carefully closed on the ends. Of course Ti will not form a patina it's too corrosion resistant !

Proper patina is a happening ! A Forced Patina is a bit of a fraud . The real patina is a constantly changing thing .
Speaking of chopsticks , I have a pair of chopsticks which seemed very light .On close examination I realized they were made of tubing !! Carefully closed on the ends. Of course Ti will not form a patina it's too corrosion resistant !
I don't really like the patina where something is smeared on the blade, but just using you're knife right away on patina causing foods and possibly letting it sit to ensure it develops a patina isn't a forced patina is it ?
It is normal use, but it is intentional patina forming.

Back