Paul Tsujimoto Knives

Naturally, this is the place to talk about Becker knives, but we all know that this is the place to be to talk about JAB and other KA-BAR knives. But, I rarely see much talk over Paul Tsujimoto (Toooj) knives. When brought up, people always seem to say great things about them, but I have yet to meet a Toooj knife fan like a Becker fan. Any ideas why this is? I currently own just the Short Heavy Bowie which I am keeping pristine as I try to trade it for the Large Heavy Bowie. I also traded away the Kukri simply because I had no use for one once I really thought about it. But still, these knives just seem awesome! If you haven't handled one, know that the handles are amazing. Your grip isn't going anywhere. The handles almost feels to me like it is gripping me as much as I'm gripping it... if that makes any sense.

If I'm not mistaken, Toooj says that he designed these knives to actually compete with the Becker knives before KA-BAR started making them. I think I read that here, but I'm happy to be corrected. Both the Short Heavy Bowie and the Large are almost .25" thick, a number people seem to really love in their knives for some reason.

To me, the biggest drawback to these knives are the big TAIWAN letters on the blades. I'm not the biggest "buy US" guy there is, but it is important. The sheaths could use some better attach points as well, and I've never seen a kydex project for one. My Short Heavy Bowie DOES fit nicely into my stock BK7 sheath, although the snaps won't make the girth. Also, I'm sure that some people don't like 1085 when 1095 is a whole 10 numbers higher, but something tells me 1085 isn't gonna be melting in the sun, or shattering in your face anytime soon.

The Cutlass Machete also looks fantastic, and with the new Grass Machete from SHOT 2011 looks like a winner as well. I want a Tooj Necker!

So? How about it? Does anyone have any good Toooj knife stories? Pics? Setups? or other insight to offer on these fantastic knives made by the man who has, for me at least, proven KA-BAR to have the greatest customer service around?

well, as it turns out, i'll be buying some of his stuff in the near future, on purpose, because he made it :)

doesn't hurt too that his big two originals, the cutlass machete and the khukri are shapes i like...

will also aquire the Zombie Gear i'm sure as well in part because Toooj was involved with those. perhaps KaBar will push a pass around? we'll see!

as for that Becker fellow, he's been at it 20 years with his name really out there, when he was his own Boutique, and people are following the name around and buying gobs of them...

Toooj will kill me me i'm sure, but other than KNOWING about stuff, i'm not aware of a signature knife by name? perhaps he should fix that :)

I have to say, that next to my Fallkniven A1, my Heavy Bowie is, without doubt, one of my all time favorites, and I love the 1085 steel! It's tough, sharpens up very easily, and holds a good working edge better than you'd think.:thumbup: I'm seriously thinking of picking up the Kukri next. The only flaw with the Heavy Bowie has nothing to actually do with the knife at all. The sheath is on the flimsy side. I really like the sheath design a lot, but it would be great if it was made with better materials, like cordura, kydex, or even just better leather. It would also be nice to be able to buy replacement sheaths (the leather on mine is cracking).

Tooj designed the Kabar Kukri? I used it to break down my Xmas tree. Big, heavy belly pretty much did the work for this noob :D

2011-01-29104035.jpg

2011-01-29104000.jpg

Apologies for the blurry phone pics :p

Tooj designed the Kabar Kukri? I used it to break down my Xmas tree. Big, heavy belly pretty much did the work for this noob :D

2011-01-29104035.jpg

2011-01-29104000.jpg

Apologies for the blurry phone pics :p

Wow! Where are those sheaths from?

Eric Lind. Not sure if I can say what company he's with, but a search on these forums'll give you the info. :D Sheaths feel great, btw.

There are numerous items in the KA-BAR line that are of Toooj's evil genius alone but what most of us don't realize is his designs are in every line they produce. BK&T, JAB, TDI, FIN, Dozier, BESH, ZK. Ask anyone of the designers who do business with KA-BAR and I guarantee they will emphasize his importance and eye for design. Toooj embodies all that is KA-BAR and is a true ambassador of the brand. You rock Toooj.

All,

Thanks for the kind words. I am very fortunate to work at something I really love....and for a great company like KA-BAR. I get to work with great people and great designers.
I learn something new everyday from guys like Ethan, Bob Dozier, Peter Janda, John Benner, Brent Beshara and Jerry Fisk. These guys are tops in their field; and hopefully they learn from me also.
I get enough recognition for my work and KA-BAR compensates me nicely so I'm actually
at a good place. Too much recognition is a double edged sword and usually does bad things to the ego.
Sqoon; You are correct. We made the Heavy cutting tool line to compete against Ethan's BK&T line when he was at Camillus. When he came over to KA-BAR, we going to drop the our Heavy line...but a funny thing happened; Both took off and are solid sellers.
Go figure.. In any event, I'm glad to be here with you guys.
Knives are cool.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Sqoon,
Check out Mashed Cat sheaths. That's Eric. I don't know if it's legal to attach a link so just Google Mashed Cat sheaths. I have two of his sheaths for a couple of Swamp Rats and they are absolutely top quality. Nobody bends Kydex better! He can make sheaths for just about anything.
Cheers
Balding

Awesome knife at a great price, i was seriously surprised at how well the edge held up after repeatedly chopping wrist thick branches from a stump that has grown up into my fence, with no sign of any damage to the edge. i was curious as to who actually designed the knife so i emailed ka-bar and got this reply an hour later:Thank you for the kind words, we are glad to hear that you are pleased with our product. Our Kukri Machete was designed by our own engineer, Paul Tsujimoto. Paul designs numerous different knives for us every year.

My Best,
Beth

thanks for designing such a great tool! im now looking to sell my cold steel frontier hawk since i doubt i will ever need it, the kabar kukri is way more efficient at chopping and doesn't kill my hands from the shock :p the following pics are of my kukri in action!
ka-bar01.jpg
ka-barkukri02.jpg
/ka-barkukri03.jpg[/IMG]

Toooj is the man, fo' sho'.

Can't wait until Blade, gonna be a riot.:D

Moose

Toooj is the man, fo' sho'.

Can't wait until Blade, gonna be a riot.:D

Moose

that's cuz the Toooj is an ENGINEER :)

we're gunna get the KaBar staff plastered, wearing pink lamp shades, and all photographed :)

oh yeah

I love my Kabar Cutlass Machette. I did not know that the Cutlass was Toooj's brainchild. Now knowing this, I will have to get that large heavy Warthog that has the same handle as my machette. Really starting to like this Toooj fellow. Will have to say when I use the belly to chop with and the section close to the handle to carve with, it really is a verstile tool. Awesome product.

This picture was the first day out with the Cutlass Machette, was a gift from my mother-in-law for Christmas.

bushcraft pics 011 by redmech, on Flickr

Thanks Buddy,

Toooj rocks out loud.

Don't mess with the Toooj, man, he'll mess you up.:D

100_2320.jpg

Then, he'll go out for some BBQ and contemplate your demise, with his friends.:D

100_2332.jpg

Moose:D

100_2332.jpg

and here's where Paul is thinking... don't look at him, nice and easy, yeah, i can get to my knife, yeah, dude isn't going to glass ME ...

next frame...

cut!

A fine fellow who designed an awesome knife which coincidentally is perfectly suited for cutting chunks of rat poison:

IMG_20110815_180551.jpg

someone have both versions of the Warthog? i'd like to see side by sides

I would not have bought one if it had the traditional or old/prototype handle. Personal preference i guess. I like the new version MUCH better.

If you haven't handled one, know that the handles are amazing. Your grip isn't going anywhere. The handles almost feels to me like it is gripping me as much as I'm gripping it... if that makes any sense.

I have a well used cutlass machete, and despite it's hollow ground edge, it processes wood with the best of them. Not sure if anyone's noticed, but there is another knife company that Paul may or may not have worked for ;) with some knives with the same type of handles. (Hint: it starts with O and ends with ntario.)

Back