Personal Defense Blades Under $200

Hmmm, I'd have to agree with all the kudos for Newt Livesay's knives...my personal recomendation is a fixed blade knife he calls the U.S. Marshal...it's my *favorite* fixed blade EDC, usually packed in what Bob Kasper calls IWB "appendix carry". That goes for about $100 bucks. A close second choice is the Camillus/Terzuola CQB-2 (the Mini-CQB) fixed blade...which I got from 1SKS for about $115 w/postage included? Awesome blade, also carried IWB mostly, although I have used the Tek-Lok to position the sheath across the small of my back...

Couple either of these with a Spyderco Endura/Delica or (in my case) a Spydie Goddard LightWeight or old-style BM Mini-AFCK (picked mine up from a friend for about $45 bucks/$65, :D :D :D )--and you are totally good to go, for less than $200 bucks! Woo-Hoo! :)

~bayani~ (Lester S.)

CS X2Voyager as primary and a serrated endura for left hand draw. Whatever more expensive blades I find myself with, I am always more comfortable carrying the knives I can afford to replace.

Here are a few that I like: Spyderco Fred Perrin fixed blade, Spyderco Keating Chinook, Livesay Woo and Bu-Shi.

As far as customs go, base model Perrins, e.g. street bowies, sell for under the $200 mark.

Had to jump in on this one:
Daily carry is a Benchmade Ascent, I like it because it is light and is just the right size for me. I also swap this from time to time with a Crawford Frame Lock (only when I think I won't "lose it"). Occasionally I'll wear a sheath knife such as a Schrade Sharpfinger or a Buck Pro-hunter.

Cheers,
D

MOD ATAC V, Microtech SOCOM, Al Mar SERE2000,AL Mar Operator,
Emerson Commander,Camillus CQB,

Hard to beat any iteration of Fred Perrin's Griffe, whether it be a custom (available for under $200), or the Emerson version in 154-CM with a hawkbill blade. For a folder, you can pick up a Spyderco Gunting with Skunkworks belt sheath for under $200 and have an impact tool/fistload plus a surprisingly effective blade, in a package as solid as a fixed blade.

Ok, I'll try to do it in under $100.00

Fixed Blade: CRKT Companion - Great ergonomics. AUS-6 is ok for defense blades. Sheath offer a lot of options. Around $40.00

Folder: Fully Serrated Spyderco Endura - Proven design. Good lock up and excellent cutter. VG-10 makes it even better. Left or right handed Around $50.00

Total: $90.00 Not bad if you're on a strict budget. I think this combo would cover all the bases pretty well.

As an addition to this thread in a similar vein, what are thoughts on the new CRKT Ryan Plan B? It is really inexpensive and I love the design. With a well made Kydex sheath that would be a great SD piece IMO.

As for me, I carry 3 tac-folders, all by CRKT;

Large CRKT Crawford Point Guard, M16-04 Folding Tanto and the Large Crawford/Kasper...

Gotta love the AUS-series stainless. Cuts like premium stainless, without the massive pricetag...

My daily carry knife is my Strider Buck Tactical folder w/Tanto blade. Carried either inside the waistband or clipped to my strong side pocket. I'm very comfortable with it being my only knife but if I'm wearing light clothing I'll switch to my Benchmade CQC-7.

BF's very own R W CLark, makes some great looking knives for under 200, i dont own any but they seem to always get a wonderful reception.

His MAU (modern ASian utitlity) may have utitlity in mind but i dont doubt that it would be an effective personal deffense blade as well.

He also makes some other knives that i think would fit the bill.

Nobody has yet mentioned the Benchmade/Elishewitz Nimravus...could be had in M-2 steel, along with an Axis TSEK for less than $200.

do a search on this guy, i am impressed.

Most of his stuff goes for less than 200, a real value.

What a great bunch of knives, and good values all of them.

I have a Greco Persian which I carry as a fixed blade self-defense knife.
John probably doesn't make the Persian anymore.
However, he makes several knives that would do as well.

Gene Osborn of CenterCross Metalworks makes some neat folders.
Some of his blades have "point," and although very light I think they would do well for self-defense.

As my constant companion I wear an old Spyderco Native with a Gin-1 steel blade.
Sometimes I can't believe how little I paid for it.
I sharpened the last half inch of the swedge and only cut myself about once a month.
I wouldn't describe the Native as something I would take to a knife fight, but I trust it would serve to discourage a sane attacker and I always have it with me.
Sometime I need to get the CPM 440V version.
I don't think I'll sharpen the swedge of that one.

Does anyone have a url for Barry and Philip Jones?

You're right, Ken--Greco discontinued the Persian a while ago--I tried ordering one on your recommendation.

The CRKT M18 is another good value if you've got time to take it apart and file down its thumbstuds--even after doing so on mine, it ate holes in all my watch pockets.

Re TOPS, the Sea Wolfe is a great knife. Not the best sheath, but then that seems to be TOPS' weak spot, and anyway, with Mike Sastre, Normark, and Scott Hendrix, that isn't much of a handicap.

Amazed no one's brought up the Benchmade 806 yet. Not cheap by my standards but well within the $200 limit.

BTW, Mr, Walker--the price you gave for your CRKT KFF and Glock knife combo intrigued me--I hope that was the Pro model KFF, otherwise you got hosed on one or both, at least from the prices I've seen. I'd appreciate your feedback if you get back to this thread.

I agree, the 806 is a great SD blade.

And M-P can tell you its also my fastest to deploy.:D

A Spyderco Fred Perrin fixed blade and a Spyderco Lil' Temperance folder would be a nice light, quick combination. These would put you right around $200 or just a little over.

Back