Photos Petty's Celebrated - shear steel butcher's knife

Another thrift shop find is this old butcher's knife, made by John Petty & Sons Ltd in Sheffield.
The blade is most likely shear steel, and the plan is to make the knife at least functional again.

(more pics later)

Last edited:
That i don't know yet.
Currently i'm thinking either green, black of natural brown Micarta (if i can find some reasonably priced pieces where i live), or some type of tropical hardwood, or maybe even some simple wood like what was on it originally.

Consider the possibility that putting on a synthetic handle might confuse the little darling, since it was born WAY before such materials existed. It might even forget how to slice!

If you are interested in tropical wood scales, I have a supply of it, as well as hickory, oak (white, I think). All of the pieces would need resawing, so access to a bandsaw is recommended.

I would be glad to send you some.

Regards,
Joe

Last edited:
That is a very generous offer Joe, but i will politely decline and try to find something on this side of the ocean (as i'm in Europe)
You could very well be right about the synthetic handle materials btw.

This is how the blade looks now, as for me this is a more useful blade shape.
I'm also starting to think the metal isn't shear steel but instead double shear steel.

Last edited:
...but i will politely decline ...
Very good, sir.

I like the reprofiling.

I really like breathing new life into old forgotten about knives. I’ve got quite a nice assortment of Old Hickory knives that I’ve refurbished. You ended up with a great profile and the blade finish is striking. Can’t wait to see it with a new handle, personally I’m hoping for an extremely light colored wood and nickel silver pins.

Tidbit of info: It seems that the knife was made before 1888, as in that year the trademark was changed by removing the line under the barrel.

That is an amazing restoration / regrind of that old knife! I would love to see what it looks like once it is finished with a new handle!

I still have to make a new handle for it, but at the moment i'm unable to do that.
A few years ago i won the jackpot regarding eye problems, and as a result my sight has deteriorated quite a bit.

I still have to make a new handle for it, but at the moment i'm unable to do that.
A few years ago i won the jackpot regarding eye problems, and as a result my sight has deteriorated quite a bit.
I'm really very sorry to read that. I hope things improve for you, or at least stabilise!

Your choice in all thing shear steel (in particular) and sharpening is of great interest to me and I was anxious to see how you returned this beauty to use.
If you were nearer I'd offer help, I recently re-handled a blade in Lignum Vitae which would look smart on your Petty.

Best of luck to you.

Back