Phosphate Coatings on Ontario Knives

I have a quick question which I'd like to have a really simple answer for if possible. The simple answer part... is because I do not want to get shut out of an answer because of trade secret stuff, or get anyone in trouble because of trade secret stuff. So, here goes:

I have an Ontario Air Force Survival Knife (there's already been a thread I started on that one many months ago) and a new Ontario M3 Trench Knife. Both of them are going to need refinishing work done once all polishing and reshaping is done. That said, does Ontario employ a zinc phosphate coating, or a manganese coating? I'd like to know, because the Parkerizing looks different depending on the process used.

Really, that's it. Zinc or manganese? I will need to learn the process myself and do some experimentation to get the job done, but that's an education for you. But knowing the first part would be a really nice help.

Thank you kindly, Dan. I imagine you've saved me a good bit of future costing and experimentation in freshening up my knives!

Over the years since the SP5's sunset, OKC had received a steady stream of requests to bring back this classic bowie knife design. But when we received word that an SP5 had survived a house fire with the blade and coating in nearly perfect condition, and the owner asked us to bring back the bowie, we knew what we had to do. Rising from the ashes by demand, it's the return of an American legend. The quarter inch thick, 10 inch blade will be your most faithful and fearsome companion.

SP5 Powder coating isn't it?

Back