Pics of Edgeworks Sheath Prototype for GH WWIII

Okay, guys. Here are two photos of the kydex sheath prototype that EdgeWorks mailed me yesterday. They told me I could post the pics if I stressed that this is a prototype and not a custom sheath, as they are not quite ready (but will be soon) to do individual custom sheaths. Anyway, here's the prototype:

prototype1.jpg

prototype2.jpg

Please provide your thoughts on the design. Can't promise that all the recommended features will make it into the final version, but we'll try to balance functionality with price.

Also, we are introducing the sheath with the WWIII, but we have plans to adapt the style to fit our other models. The one he's building the prototype for happens to be a bhojpure (although taking the design and running production for the WWIII won't be a hard thing to do).

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 15 September 1999).]

Where's the beef? (pics that is)??

[This message has been edited by Jumbi (edited 15 September 1999).]

Craig, by default Netscape will not load BMP's, here are the JPG conversions :

[EDIT - duplicate images removed]

-Cliff

[This message has been edited by Cliff Stamp (edited 15 September 1999).]

Guys: thanks for the computer lesson. I should really learn more about that stuff. Anyway, I did change the file type from BMP to JPG, so they should now be viewable in color or, thanks to Cliff, in Black and White.
smile.gif

Yeah, we have a multi-million dollar computer here and I have access through a B&W terminal, go figure.

Nice work by the way. Is there a place for the Chakma and Karda? Ever thought of offering a dual sheath with say a Sirupati + Panawal as a combo offer? Lots of possibilities there.

I know it would be heavy, but you are starting to sell those 20+" heavy choppers and they would weigh more than that.

-Cliff

Cliff: yeah, I think I want the chakma and karda to go with. Shouldn't be that hard to do. But a combo? I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean on sheath that works for both knives, or one sheath that actually fits both knives?

Incidentally, I think that's a SN1 I sent them. I thought I'd sent a Bhojpure, but I'm glad I sent the SN1 instead - much wider application, as more people own SN1s.

Craig, yes both in at the same time. I like to carry a Sirupati for example for gathered dead branches off of trees in poor light, but then for the heavier wood after the fire has started I like a heavier khukuri. Having multiple sheaths means one of them is not going to be in the draw position I favor.

You see combo sheaths for this for hunters who typically like differnet style blades for the different types of cutting. Of course there you are talking about little knives.

-Cliff

Holy sh*t Cliff!

A double sheath for a 20" Sirupati and a Panawal???

I'm picturing them strapped to your back on a bandolier (sp?)... (the leather "belts" that criss-crossed the chest of the Comancheros) or the modern day equivalent, which I guess would be "web gear" (not sure if those are the right terms).

If done as a belt rig, you'll be putting some chiropractor's kids through college.

Dave.

Forget the chiropractor's kids! Put the chiropractor through college!
wink.gif
Cliff, I'll make a sheath like that if you promise to fly to Davenport to get your spine checked every week.
wink.gif

Interesting that I had the exact same thought for a sheath yesterday. IF (and I'm not, but IF) I was going to do it I would make them so they were piggybacked, and this would allow me to remove the outermost Kydex layer so the sheaths could be separated. It would be a messy thing, though, and ugly as all get out. Impossible for me to pull off with the time I have, but it would be cool all the same!

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

I can only imagine my small self lugging around a two-khukuri rig (especially with a sirupati). Cliff: you must be a mammoth person!
smile.gif

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

Nice looking sheath.

What is the retention like on it?.

It looks like it is made for a quick out-the-front deployment, just wondering if there is any provision for a strap or other holding device at the top of the sheath?

Is the kydex tight enough to hold the blade in place on its own - I've never used a kydex sheath so I'm just curiouse.

Andre

Very cool Craig! I can just see that big blued WW3 blade flashing out of that sheath setup now. <drool drool> Looks very sturdy and secure,elegantly simple. I really like front break sheaths for big knives,I have on for my 12" bladed EDMF bowie and it just flies out of the sheath. Before I made it front break I just about had to dislocate my shoulder to get it out with my same side hand (visions of Lethal Weapon
wink.gif
). The only suggestion I have is to square off the tip a bit and add a slot there. That way it will be a simple matter to fit it with 1" webbing for shoulder and dundee rigs. Is it secure enough to carry tip up without any additional straps or holddowns? What`s the belt loop made of and is it removable /movable? It looks like you made a good choice in choosing Scott for the job. Marcus

It would be great if this sheath could be also carried tip up in a dundee type rig. To carry this over the shoulder and under a heavy garment would be a very nice addition in versitility. Remember even if this is for the potential WWIII there would still be times when you would want to apear to be a lamb.

To drag back an old suggestion regarding the side knives, what do you think about a larger than normal knife -- say a 4" drop point. But just one instead of two. The spine can double as a burnisher. I never understood why they came it twos in the first place.

Regarding the sheath:

Can it be carried horizontally on the belt, over yer rump, with the edge pointing down? This is the most out of the way place I can think of. And with the way the blade is designed to come out, it'll be pretty easy to resheath from this carrying position too.

The but holding up the sheath is mine. I can tell you a few things about the sheath as its final function is to be intended.
1) The retention is enough to hold the blade with out an add strap but one will be added at the handle. The kydex actually wraps over the spine like fingernails grasping on to something.
2) The belt strap is removeable and at least one more option of carry will beable to be bolted on via sex screws. This will leave just about any option of carry open to the end user (say a harness).
3) The chakma and karda (sp? I assume the smaller two blades) are no small matter. Actually the fact that most of theses knives are hand made one at a time will play heavily in production. When kydex is formed in this way it has little tolerance for blade variances and the little blades seem like they will have a lot. Am I wrong? I guess thats a call for Scott.

By the way, I live in Jacksonville but have run like a chicken to Hartwell GA. with my wife and 5 youngins. A big bad hur'kin is blowin' out dare. Isn't the internet great.

------------------
&gt;)-RadarMan-(&lt;
Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.... Vermont Proverb

I would imagine that each of these knives will need to be individually molded for the best possible fit, including the khukuri itself. A lot depends on how tight the retention on the blade is, though. An interesting project, for sure, but it is seeming to get complicated! If I ever make a piggyback khukuri sheath, I'll let you know. Also, on the belt, two khukuris isn't all that much weight. If yu used a lighter sheath for the two fo them, also, then it isn't so bad. I was walking around the house yesterday with a 15" HI Dhankuta village model and 17.5" HI Sirupati village and it wasn't all that bad. But, it does beg the question, Cliff...why not simply leave the big khukuri at camp while you use the Sirupati to gather the smaller branches?
smile.gif

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath pagehttp://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

The reason to carry two kukri is probably the same as the; reason I am also found to carry 4 knives on me when I go out in public. You can never have enough.

Back