• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Pics of Knockoffs- Ultramar, Bugout, Infidel

scorpnsnake

Gold Member
Man these scumbags are really putting in some effort on these counterfeits. Chaves production models are now in the mix. Nothing new for BM obviously.

A guy I know ordered these. For personal use, he wouldn't sell them as authentic. Figured it would be worth posting up for everyone to see.

Here are three examples. All were $40-$50 from various sources.

Watch yourselfs out there knife Brothers and Sisters.

1. Fake Infidel with packaging

105367.jpeg105368.jpeg105366.jpeg105370.jpeg105240.jpeg105241.jpeg105246.jpeg

2. Fake Bugout, hardware only

Screenshot_20240309_085002_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240309_084950_Gallery.jpg

Medford Knife and Tool has stood up this sort of thievery and was labeled racist.

Look forward to the pendulum swinging the other way and the counterfeiters trying to scrape some crumbs together to make a dust sandwich.

Last edited:
Is this Chavez model one that is also produced by one of the "reputable" Chinese knife manufacturers? 🤔

Is this Chavez model one that is also produced by one of the "reputable" Chinese knife manufacturers? 🤔

It is a copy of the 229 model like the reate builds. But I don't think it came from them after hours or anything.

Feels too light, not titanium. Action is loose, lock-up is so-so. Don't believe they offer a dark stonewash on the real mccoy, not positive on that. Kickstop runs decent. Blade is marked M390.

It is a copy of the 229 model like the reate builds. But I don't think it came from them after hours or anything.

Feels too light, not titanium. Action is loose, lock-up is so-so. Don't believe they offer a dark stonewash on the real mccoy, not positive on that. Kickstop runs decent. Blade is marked M390.

Yea, I don't think Reate themselves would have much incentive to do anything underhanded like that, and I debated on whether I should remove the quotation marks from reputable. Still, the sceptic in me can't help but wonder if it would be happening if he weren't having knives produced in China, and if there may be some there there, from the packaging to the intellectual property of the design.

Whereas with a large company like BM the knock-offs are more understandable.

Pure speculation on my part anyway

Yea, I don't think Reate themselves would have much incentive to do anything underhanded like that, and I debated on whether I should remove the quotation marks from reputable. Still, the sceptic in me can't help but wonder if it would be happening if he weren't having knives produced in China, and if there may be some there there, from the packaging to the intellectual property of the design.

Whereas with a large company like BM the knock-offs are more understandable.

Pure speculation on my part anyway

Roger.

My understanding, and I use the term lightly. Is that crooked factions of some product manufacturing companies will run after hours or post batch runs of real, fakes. Sometimes blessed by said manufacturers or sometimes without their knowledge. Doesn't seem like a case of that to me.

No doubt keeping it all at home would be ideal. But as humans do, we mucked that all up beyond repair. lol

Medford Knife and Tool has stood up this sort of thievery and was labeled racist.
That they can label somebody a bigot who has posed nude for a t-shirt is beyond me. I've always associated alpha masculinity with nude male photography.
Just one guy posing nude for the benefit of other men.

The first clue should have been the prices. Everyone has the internet today. It is easy for the seller to determine what they have. Sure you MIGHT find the odd bargain here or there, but three of them stretch credulity.

The first clue should have been the prices. Everyone has the internet today. It is easy for the seller to determine what they have. Sure you MIGHT find the odd bargain here or there, but three of them stretch credulity.

He ordered them intentionally. I just saw it as an opportunity to learn about, and show some image's of what's circulating currently. May be helpful for somebody.

He ordered them intentionally. I just saw it as an opportunity to learn about, and show some image's of what's circulating currently. May be helpful for somebody.
Gotcha. Missed that nuance in the first post.

Gotcha. Missed that nuance in the first post.

I'm going to loan him a real knife and get my paws on that bogus 229 for a few days. Put it on a scale, magnet test, examine closely and list any tip offs I can come up with here. 🤷‍♂️

Back