Picture request - Bk2 & ESEE5

myright

Gold Member
Alright - I searched and searched and can't find the pic anywhere. I want to buy either the ESEE5 or the BK2. I onced owned a BK2 and thought it was big but it seems to match up to the 5 pretty well. I love my BK9 and my RC3 and am not sure if I should buy another becker or another ESEE.

I'd love to see a side-by-side pic of the two. Please help!!! :thumbup:

I have had both:

The ESEE 5 is a well built knife, I reckon it is perfect for Soldiers the point at the pommel is a nice touch for notching coconuts. The handle profiles are slimmer and the micarta it comes with is what the Becker should have on it from the factory.

With that in mind...

I have two BK2's one is set-up for only knife duty on camping trips the other is set-up for belly side cross draw EDC on hiking trips, walks etc...it never leaves my person. The ergos on the BK2 are superior to everything I have carried for 90% of what is called for on a knife, this includes, SAR, Regulator, Game Warden, Master Hunter, TAK, Recon Tanto, TOPS Anaconda and Screaming Eagle.

The BK2 has a wider blade and a bit higher grind, the 1095CV that Ka-Bar uses is every bit as tough as the 1095 Rowen uses, that said it holds an edge and takes an edge very well.

The handles are more comfortable with the palmswell in the center.

I had no intention of making this a thread bout which knife is superior or which maker is superior so lets not go there. They just seem like similar knives and I'm on the fence about which to purchase. I don't currently own a knife this size.

Thanks for a great response Zombie!

bk2_rc5_esee4_01.jpg

bk2_rc5_esee4_02.jpg

bk2_rc5_esee4_03.jpg

bk2_rc5_esee4_04.jpg

They are both great knives. Theres a guy on youtube that does a side by side comparison.
Above me is your answer.

As Zombie pointed out, the handle shapes are different, and you would be best served by getting your hands on them if at all possible. Everyone's hands are a little different, so there will be different preferences in handle shapes. I didn't like the more squared-off handle of the ESEE-6, so I sold it. The Becker handles just feel better to me. You really won't know for sure until you hold them.

Huh. did not know they were that close in size, hard to figure just from interweb pictures. neat.

I think a big difference is the edge and height of the grind. The ESEE 5 has the thicker edge, the grind starts about 1/2 way. The grind starts sooner on the BK2, and the edge is thinner.
One is more for SERE, one is for camping. One comes with micarta and the other does not. The are both excellent knives.

Here's a couple for you. Got em' both. These were taken before I stripped my BK2. In the first pic, the BK2 looks a bit bigger, keep in mind I shot them at a slightly weird angle on that one. Sorta a forced perspective shot. They're pretty close in overall size. I prefer the 5, but the BK2 is a good knife.

P1000271-1.jpg

P1000262.jpg

While I was on the fence for these knives I chose the 2, not only for the price but because it simply looks like it means business In a no-nonsense way.. I like its shape better and after handling one at a gun show it sealed the deal..

I will never own a five, its simply redundant for me, however I would take that same money and buy a hunglass..

As much as I appreciate thin and how well it cuts. Think and hefty is cool too. I've been eyeing both for awhile now but finally pulled the trigger.

I have both and think the BK2 handle is more comfortable. The RC5 is a very nice knife, but the handle slabs are pretty square. They are easily shaped. When heading out and grabbing one or the other, the BK2 is the one that gets grabbed. The bank book may make the answer for you.. BK2 is priced to sell..

The BK2, if it lives up to the hype really is priced to sell. My Busse and Swamp Rat days are kinda done. I've actully paired down to enough knives to outfit only a small army.

Back