[picture review] Fantoni HB 02 folder

choombak

Gold Member
I recently received the Fantoni HB 02 from a Finnish dealer, in about two weeks from order. For under $200, this is one of the best fit and finish I've seen on a production knife.

Knife blade is about 3" (this is the smaller version, the larger one is HB 01), a good blade to handle ratio, and very tight tolerances. It snaps open with no other squeaks except for the lockbar engaging. The liners are titanium, with bead blasted hardware, though the blade has a light stonewash. The titanium clip is super tight, and I'll have to bend it outwards for a comfortable clip. With dual thumstuds, and jimping on the liner lock, its a pleasure to open and close. Blade steel is stamped S35VN (though the literature reads S30V), and has the name of the designer stamped on it (haven't seen any other production knife with the maker's full name). Scales are G10, grippy, but not overy aggressive (two colors available, black and tan/brown). The butt of the handle also has jimping with gradually changing diameter (see photos). Blade is shaving sharp out of the box.

My initial impressions are very positive, I'll update this review after a month or so of using it. Enough chat, I'll let pictures do the talking... (shot with a Panasonic Lumix LX7 on fully auto mode):

Innovative packaging
P1020748.JPG

P1020749.JPG

Included literature (Italy follows the Metric System, hence all measurements are in mm, rather than inches)
P1020750.JPG

P1020736.JPG

P1020741.JPG

Notice the internal pattern of the pivot screw
P1020738.JPG

Notice the butt-end jimping that gradually increases in diameter
P1020737.JPG

P1020730.JPG

P1020733.JPG

P1020732.JPG

P1020731.JPG

P1020745.JPG

P1020747.JPG

Fit and finish is superb
P1020746.JPG

Jimping on the liner lock
P1020735.JPG

Perfect engagement
P1020734.JPG

P1020739.JPG

Centered blade
P1020740.JPG

P1020742.JPG

I have one of these. Simply a fantastic folder. It shames many more expensive folders.

Congratulations choombak. Beautiful and very well made knives. Fantoni seems to have all of the details covered. One of my favorites. I'm definitely a fan of William Harsey's designs. Great pictures also. Thanks for sharing. Mike

Great knife and picture! Thanks for sharing.
I looked at Fantoni's website and almost all of their blades are in S30V, the HB-02 as well. There's a desert tan version that caught me. Think I'm going to hide my credit card.

Last edited:
I had a Beretta Harsey at one point. It was an HB 01 that Beretta OEM'd from Fantoni. Very nice folder at a price I won't tell you because I don't want break your heart. (Beretta was closing them out at the time I bought mine.) The only reason I sold it was because it was too big for me. The HB 02 looks like it would be a much better fit.

Last edited:
I remember the Beretta version and wish I had been smart enough to get one.

As for the HB 02, I found two issues:

Why design a flipper that doesn't flip -- I just don't get that.

As for the thumb studs, Harsey's designs don't place them where my size medium fingers can easily grasp the studs. They are too close to the cutout. I found that to be the case with the HB 02 as well.

A very-well made product that I wish I had found easier to use.

I remember the Beretta version and wish I had been smart enough to get one.

As for the HB 02, I found two issues:

Why design a flipper that doesn't flip -- I just don't get that.

As for the thumb studs, Harsey's designs don't place them where my size medium fingers can easily grasp the studs. They are too close to the cutout. I found that to be the case with the HB 02 as well.

A very-well made product that I wish I had found easier to use.

I don't think it was ever designed as a flipper, but rather acts as a superb finger stop -- so it doesn't slide onto the blade while greasy or slippery. However, you can still flick it open by applying pressure on the flipper and flick of the wrist. Interestingly, the ergonomics of HB 02 are just perfect for me. :)

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures as much as I did clicking them -- it was raining that day, and the light wasn't bright, though I think the pictures came out reasonably well. Merry Christmas!

Glad you all enjoyed the pictures as much as I did clicking them -- it was raining that day, and the light wasn't bright, though I think the pictures came out reasonably well. Merry Christmas!

Thanks for the photos -- they're the equal of the excellent fit and finish on your folder!

I picked one of these up based in part on your review and what others have said about the knife. Have to say, I'm very pleased. Overall it's a great knife, fit and finish is excellent and its the closest thing to a Sebenza that I've handled as far as tight tolerances and smoothness.
It's not without its issues though. In my opinion the following issues are design flaws, and in no way related to poor workmanship or execution.
1. The relationship between the liners, scales and pivot. You need to remove the scales to get to the liner screws, and you need to remove the pivot pin to remove the scales. In other words you can't take the knife down without removing the scales, and you can't take off the scales without pulling the pivot pin. Certainly not a deal breaker but it is annoying, and is compounded by complaint number
2. Takedown requires 3 different sizes of Torx bit AND a Phillips bit, making an already convoluted process that much more annoying. I don't know the sizes off the top of my head, but the pocket clip is held on by 2 small Torx screws, the pivot by a large one (and as the pivot is perfectly round and has a tendency to spin, you'll need another bit to hold the pin side still) the liners by 2 medium sized in both sides, and the liners are held together by 3 Phillips. Which brings me to my last point.
3. The liners are held together by 3 one way Phillips head screws. Most high dollar knives are held together with screws coming from both sides into a threaded spacer or standoff. Aside from being a "nice" touch that setup has a real benefit—if you cross thread or strip a screw or standoff , all you need to replace is the screw or standoff. On the Fantoni, only the lock side liner is threaded and there is only one screw per "standoff". Aside from being an obvious cost (or maybe corner) cutting method, this means that you also have the risk or stripping the actual liner. Who knows how helpful Fantoni will be when it comes to replacing a liner for you?

That said, I love my HB 02 and it's not going anywhere. Oh and I dyed my scales. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421174994.198171.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421175018.089488.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421175031.046473.jpg

I picked one of these up based in part on your review and what others have said about the knife. Have to say, I'm very pleased. Overall it's a great knife, fit and finish is excellent and its the closest thing to a Sebenza that I've handled as far as tight tolerances and smoothness.
It's not without its issues though. In my opinion the following issues are design flaws, and in no way related to poor workmanship or execution.
1. The relationship between the liners, scales and pivot. You need to remove the scales to get to the liner screws, and you need to remove the pivot pin to remove the scales. In other words you can't take the knife down without removing the scales, and you can't take off the scales without pulling the pivot pin. Certainly not a deal breaker but it is annoying, and is compounded by complaint number
2. Takedown requires 3 different sizes of Torx bit AND a Phillips bit, making an already convoluted process that much more annoying. I don't know the sizes off the top of my head, but the pocket clip is held on by 2 small Torx screws, the pivot by a large one (and as the pivot is perfectly round and has a tendency to spin, you'll need another bit to hold the pin side still) the liners by 2 medium sized in both sides, and the liners are held together by 3 Phillips. Which brings me to my last point.
3. The liners are held together by 3 one way Phillips head screws. Most high dollar knives are held together with screws coming from both sides into a threaded spacer or standoff. Aside from being a "nice" touch that setup has a real benefit—if you cross thread or strip a screw or standoff , all you need to replace is the screw or standoff. On the Fantoni, only the lock side liner is threaded and there is only one screw per "standoff". Aside from being an obvious cost (or maybe corner) cutting method, this means that you also have the risk or stripping the actual liner. Who knows how helpful Fantoni will be when it comes to replacing a liner for you?

That said, I love my HB 02 and it's not going anywhere. Oh and I dyed my scales. View attachment 505031View attachment 505032View attachment 505033

Did you take down your knife to dye the scales or was it for some other reason?
I have 4 Fantoni HB knives a HB01 (green) HB03 (black) and 2 HB02's (one black one tan).
I've never taken them apart and don't intend to there's no reason to. I have taken blade off on all of them without any issue (to polish bushings and clean/lube). Because the knives use the thumb studs as blade stops there is no blade stop pin to fuss with and after removing the pivot I just used a flat blade screw driver and put a "slight" twist between the liners for clearance when re-installing the blade and bushings it was remarkably easy. I've never taken scales off I see no reason to.
Thank you for pointing out the single screws used holding the liners together I did not know that and I agree it's probably both a cost cutting measure and time saver when producing. That said it doesn't detract from the fact these knives (IMO) are at the top of my list for a "production" folder.
I've never dyed G10 but have researched it and people that have done it just dye the whole knife w/o taking it apart and claim there were no issues. I never thought of dying mine but after seeing yours I might give it a go. I assume it (was) a tan HB02? what color dye did you use?
The "issue" #1 you mentioned if I understand you correctly is not an issue at all the way you explained it, I don't know of ANY knife that has full scales over liners that you can take the scales off of w/o removing the pivot.
I can't think of any reason to take this knife all the way apart other than adding or removing tension to the lock bar.

I picked up the Beretta-stamped version on the Exchange a while ago. It's the older model with S30V and, other than the branding, is otherwise identical to the Fantoni-branded version.

It's become one of my favorite EDCs. To say I've changed my mind is an understatement.

I still think the thumb studs ought to be moved further away from the scales. Fantoni has been told this many times but is not open to change......But I can live with it -- somehow, my hands have become used to the slightly awkward positioning of the thumb studs. With a little effort, I even learned to flip it. Now it's easy.

I never cared that much for G10 scales. But I just love the feel of these.

The quality of this knife is so good I went looking for the current version, with S35V steel. When I couldn't find one -- they are out of stock everywhere -- I bought the larger HB 03 model. (The even larger HB 01 is bigger than I need or like.)

The quality of both of my Fantonis is just superb. I can't wait for the HB 02 to be back in production, which Fantoni says will be in September.

Last edited:
Back