Pinnacle Platinum Plus & my buddy

So earlier this year i got my buddy, who mainly fishes saltwater, to come out with me a lot in freshwater. He mainly used an ultralight (yuck) and later on in the season he wanted me to try saltwater. So we went down to the docks and we were fishing and i spotted a jellyfish. ADHD moment: i grabbed his pliers and went to grab it with them and they slipped and are now happily laying on the bottom of the ocean. oops! Well, i felt bad and had no money at the time so i gave him my old Shakespeare SKP3000 round baitcaster. He's used it up until recently. He was getting tired of that one and liked my quantum accurist pt i have so i told him to start cheap and when he knows he really wants to use a baitcaster a lot to buy one that's more worth while. Plus i said, start learning maintenance on this one and if you break something, it falls in the water or someone ruins it, you aren't out a lot of money. So he went and bought a pinnacle platinum plus. For a 40$ reel at walmart it's pretty smooth. The drag is amazing and the only complaints he has is it's a righty and i later realized it's plastic. Oh well. Brought him out to a little river i fish at and we just brought baitcasters. I think all the time practicing in the backyard payed off for him because even though he got backlashes here and there his confidence went up and we caught fish and had a great time. Probably one of the best fishing times this year. So if you want to buy someone a baitcaster to introduce them to fishing buy one of these, they're cheap and nice. It's extremely smooth. Anyways, that was my little story.

thanks suzuki much truth in what you say. my problem with most beginners is that they wo'nt take the xtra effort to learn the casting reel. everyone wants the easy way & although i explain that the control & accuracy with casting outfits is superior, everyone is too lazy to make the effort. the only time spinning tackle is supreme is casting into heavy wind.
dennis

Yeah, well he saw me casting mine and asked if he could try it. So i handed it over and he liked it. Then the pliers incident happened haha. So ever since he's been coming over and asking me to critique him. The problem i see a lot of people have is that they don't turn the reel at the end of the cast, they have the rod tip pointed to the sky and they either thumb too hard or not at all and the end of the cast turns into a mess.

Back