Please re release the 1311 in INFI

Hard to beat the utility of the 1311, especially if you like machetes. Like I said a long time ago, the 1311 is a very nice utilitarian tool and perhaps one of the most practical choppers that won't wear you out. Even though now I mainly use a tuned 16inch Fiddleback which is super quick in the hand, the 1311 is always there in top contention as a one-stop survival tool. And, lets not forget about my trusty Basic 9 which still (after all these years) gets an honorable mention.

I would take a hard look at a 1311 in 3V or other high end steel.

…lets not forget about my trusty Basic 9 which still (after all these years) gets an honorable mention.

I would take a hard look at a 1311 in 3V or other high end steel.
Agree. Also don’t forget the Basic 11, faster and stouter than the 1311, though not quite the reach. Midway between the B9 and 1311 and super easy to carry, super fast and easy to swing. I’m to the point that if I want something more than a B11 to process thicker wood, I typically just use a bow saw. Would love a 3/16” thick INFI 1311, though. 👍
Also very interested in an INFI DT12.

Last edited:
David, is that the INFI model in your photo? I could not remember if they made it in an SR101 variety or not. At any rate, mine clocks in at just over 1.5 pounds which is a similar weight to the Cold Steel ATC that was sold some years ago in Carbon V. If I could find one of those, I'd pull the trigger. Always liked that design and cutting performance in a smaller package.

For reference, the 1311 is just a bit over one pound, just slightly heavier than my Basic 8. My old GI True Temper machete is very close to the 1311 in weight and feel. Both knives feel quite a bit quicker in the hand than my BB13. And that old Fiddleback is right at one pound. Is one pound the magic number? If you trek long distances to camp and back you tend to notice any extra weight in the pack.

David, is that the INFI model in your photo? I could not remember if they made it in an SR101 variety or not.
👍 INFI BB13’s had tan handles like the one David posted above and were nominally ~.22” thick (originally listed at .25” thick but were reduced in thickness prior to actual manufacture). SR101 models had black handles and were thinner/lighter @ 3/16” (~.187”) thick.

Thanks for the clarification. That .187 iteration might be closer to the weight of the 1311, then again, each blade feels different in the mitt. I sure do like the looks of that custom shop BB13 with the mirror treatment! Bet her owner does not use that beauty for fear of an unwanted blemish or two...

Has anyone turned a BB13 into a 1311 ? I mean it’s INFI - surely someone has the skills to grind a 1311 profile out of a BB13

Back