Plumb Manufacturing Thread

My Plumb wall - still a work in progress. Been awhile since I've been around.....

20181208_130350_zpspla8cjtz.jpg

20181208_130350_zpspla8cjtz.jpg.html
You win.

I know this is a lathing hatchet but i believe it is an underhill pattern. Am i correct?
dsjjCKY.jpg
I could not find that exact head in the Plumb information I have and I am not exactly certain of the definition of an Underhill pattern. But FWIW here is a Blue Grass advertised as an "Underhill Pattern".

Bob

I could not find that exact head in the Plumb information I have and I am not exactly certain of the definition of an Underhill pattern. But FWIW here is a Blue Grass advertised as an "Underhill Pattern".

Thank you for posting that. I too have found underhill pattern lathing hatchets in old catalogues.
aasx2DZ.jpg

I think it refers to the swoop down in front of the eye. At least that seems to me to be the difference.

Thank you for posting that. I too found references to the underhill pattern lathing hatchet in old catalogues
aasx2DZ.jpg

I think it refers to the swoop down in front of the eye. It appears that way to me anyhow.

Does anyone know if the size of the Plumb stamp helps date it? The reason I ask is I had a gut feeling confirmed with a painted boys axe being a Plumb and as I was rounding up the Plumb family for a pic I noticed all but 2 of them had small stamps while the boys axe and cracked head had large stamps. Most of the small stamps looked older while the large stamps, while still high quality, looked newer and the one had Perma-bond in the eye. If you compare the half hatchet to the boys axe you can really tell the difference.
IMG-1543.jpg
IMG-E1548.jpg
IMG-E1549.jpg

Another type of Plumb stamp. It appears to have a barcode or identification number along with the name and the "Wear safety goggles" warning. Has anyone else seen this type of stamping before? Maybe it's from the era when they changed from stamping axes to putting paper labels on them? A transitional marking, perhaps? Another head with more questions than answers.
IMG-2429.jpg

IMG-2431.jpg

I am really enjoying this thread . I used Plumb hatchets and hammers 43 years ago when I starting apprenticeship in the woodworking trade . I also was given a Keen Kutter hatchet then that I still own. It was old then already .

Where can I find the links to your other threads like this on other brands?

I was perusing YYT to try to find info about the head shown above when I realized my Clean Cut Fire Prevention boys axe is Plumb too. So I'll add him to the Plumb picture lineup and contribute to this awesome thread.
IMG-2080.jpg
IMG-2076.jpg
IMG-E2077.jpg
IMG-E2078.jpg
I have never seen one like yours. A fire prevention axe? How would I try to find one of those ?

Reactions: A17
Back