Pocket knives!

Those Paul knives look really nice... If I had one I'd be afraid of scratching it up. It's too purdy.
I carried and used the Paul II for a while then "downgrade" it to display with the other collectibles.
I bought the Prankster just before Benchmade swallowed Lone Wolf and killed the Paul line. This one went straight in my collectibles.

what is the appeal of a pocket knife to the collector? is the the machinery of the fold? the blade itself? just the tactile sensations associated? help a fixed blade/ antiques guy understand why folders and spyderco are so appealing? or is it just one of those things if you get it you get it? kinda like the khukuri fevah

It's definitely all three of those things. You'll understand it when you open and close a well made folder :)

For me there's two more factors: just like with fixed blades or antiques, many of these folders have histories going back a hundred years. They're traditional to their cultures. It's fun participating in that.

Secondly, I have way more use for a folding knife than I do for a fixed blade. It's fun trying different shapes and opening mechanisms to see what works best for me even though I'd probably be better off with a box cutter. If I could walk around the office with a khukri or Takouba slung across my hip for opening boxes, I would. But I'm pretty sure I had better stick to folding knives if I want to keep my job.

well reasoned ! pocket knives have always been a more utilitarian tool , everyone needs a knife, and its nice to not need a sheath

I guess whenever I have to buy something utilitarian, I end up turning it into a big research project. Like when I needed a new leather belt, rather than just going to the mall I did a ton of research and ended up buying a hand made, oak tanned bridle leather belt with solid brass fittings. It doesn't look that much different than a regular belt, but it'll last forever and I appreciate the craftsmanship put into it.

Not to mention the development and history of ingenious mechanical ways to skirt the law. eg. gravity, friction, billisong, Assisted, lock types. etc. They cant make laws fast enough to catch all the mechanical possibilities that exist to open a knife. Yes you can definitely tell a well built knife when you open it, wiggle it , lock it, etc. The many mechanical configurations of a simple hinge are fascinating alone.
It's definitely all three of those things. You'll understand it when you open and close a well made folder :)

For me there's two more factors: just like with fixed blades or antiques, many of these folders have histories going back a hundred years. They're traditional to their cultures. It's fun participating in that.

Secondly, I have way more use for a folding knife than I do for a fixed blade. It's fun trying different shapes and opening mechanisms to see what works best for me even though I'd probably be better off with a box cutter. If I could walk around the office with a khukri or Takouba slung across my hip for opening boxes, I would. But I'm pretty sure I had better stick to folding knives if I want to keep my job.
The Khukuri shaped blade is the first fixed blade i am able to carry (front pocket) and be close to my 5.5 blade length limit otherwise I would be confined to folders.

My favorite "quick open" system is the type used on the Okapi and Cold Steel Kudu. You can flick it open with your wrist but you have to do it just so. Tons of fun to practice.

When it comes to fixed blades around here it seems like every municipality and city has their own rules, so even if I was okay by state standards I might not be by local standards. Too much hassle so I stick with folders.

Modern folders (I won't say "tactical"), especially the better ones, are just well thought out. That's what got me re spyderco. (And I don't like making folders other than gent's lockbacks, and hate working with stainless...) and sometimes I get sick of people getting in a squink because I have a fixed blade. I think I'm done buying folders at this point, though- unless I break/lose one or run across one o those little O-1 gems like Phill has...
Blue- how in the world do you flick an okapi open?!?? I'm happy when I get mine open at all.

The other gem in my carry rotation is a Fallkniven FNU2- the little laminated folder. Alas it is small, and like almost all my small knives I CAN'T FIND IT!!!

I've lost and found my fallkniven so many times that I just stopped carrying it. I don't mind shelling out $15 to replace a lost SanRenMu, but I really don't want to have to worry about replacing the fallkniven.

I lost my Caly 3 for a couple weeks one time and I was super bummed. Ended up finding it in the spare bedroom but I was about to shell out the money to get a new one because I love it so much.

I lost a small knife, just a cheap Kershaw but I really liked it under the floor boards of my little 16' aluminum boat. It was there for like 4 years. We had a small bass slip through the cracks underneath and of course it started to ripen rapidly.
Ended up pulling the floor boards up and found lots of treasures including my knife which miraculously was not very much worse for wear.

I've pretty much went full fixed blade myself. I still have several folders but generally have a fixed blade on me.

I have only one folder, a small red Swiss army knife with two blades, 1" and 2" long. Opening is easy: You hook one fingernail into the little slot in the blade and pull it open. Never fails. :)

I've had this knife for maybe twenty years and I've used it more times than I can count to scrape off excess paint, putty from glass, even bottle labels. Small jobs, of course. I can't think of how many times this was the only tool that could get into tight spots and do those scraping and slicing tasks that none of my other tools could touch because the blades were too big, or too thick, or too straight, etc.

It still looks like new and never lost its edge.

Bawanna- i lost my leatherman under te bedliner of my truck for 2 years or so. Suprised how well it handled a couple Vermont winters like that. Phill- lost my PPT, but REALLY lost it-near as I can figure clip got caught on a trashbag when I was chucking shop trash outta the truck. Couldn't bring myself to get another taiwan spydie when the para 2's are made in Colorado but I still miss that knife.

For the last 3 or 4 days, I've given the folders a break. I recently dug out one of my HI JKM-1s. I had forgotten what a little gen these pry-beasts are. I stropped the edge to a "shaving axe", slipped it into a quick and dirty back pocket sheath, and I haven't needed another blade yet. On top of that, while I really, really, really love my Fiddleback Hiking Buddy, I hate boogering it up. The JKM will handle anything I throw at it, and if I dig the edge or scrape the horn handle against something, I'm not really going to cry about it.

Just a wonderful overall design that allows me to EDC some Nepali steel:)

That's what I'm hoping for in the upcoming micro mini bowie. I'm wearing my Mini AK Bowie on my belt today but it pushes the limit for social acceptance. Good thing I never gave a rats posterior for social acceptance so I'm good to go. It does feel really nice on my belt. A tad heavy but heavy means sturdy and sturdy, well it don't get no better than sturdy.

If it's sturdy and gosh darn cool looking too, well you've arrived at perfection and I think the Mini Ak fits that title too.

I recently dug out one of my HI JKM-1s. I had forgotten what a little gen these pry-beasts are.

I'm debating on ordering one of those. How thick are they at the spine?
The single image showcasing them on HI's site doesn't provide any indication.

(Also, the two rivets on the handle let me to believe they are full tang)

Im gonna get in trouble if one of those MAKB's come up! Im gonna take my beatings like a man and patiently heal! Ill just make sure and rid of the lemon juice and salt before it arrives. If ya get a chance i want ya to do me a big favor! Measure that blade and tell me its 5 1/2" or less! Then im ready for my beatin. Im thinking of calling Aunti and checking to see if she has one in stock. Then im goin beaver huntin!
That's what I'm hoping for in the upcoming micro mini bowie. I'm wearing my Mini AK Bowie on my belt today but it pushes the limit for social acceptance. Good thing I never gave a rats posterior for social acceptance so I'm good to go. It does feel really nice on my belt. A tad heavy but heavy means sturdy and sturdy, well it don't get no better than sturdy.

If it's sturdy and gosh darn cool looking too, well you've arrived at perfection and I think the Mini Ak fits that title too.
Steely I got to look that one up again. From what I remember its similar to Kumar Karda in size? OK looked up! Yep! Its chirruwa! Cool! Thats full tang Sno!

Im gonna get in trouble if one of those MAKB's come up! Im gonna take my beatings like a man and patiently heal! Ill just make sure and rid of the lemon juice and salt before it arrives. If ya get a chance i want ya to do me a big favor! Measure that blade and tell me its 5 1/2" or less! Then im ready for my beatin. Im thinking of calling Aunti and checking to see if she has one in stock. Then im goin beaver huntin!

Steely I got to look that one up again. From what I remember its similar to Kumar Karda in size? OK looked up! Yep! Its chirruwa! Cool! Thats full tang Sno!

Well under 5 1/2? If they follow my plan along with Mr. Talls help it's be around 3 1/2" blade, so it's legal pretty much everywhere.

About 7 1/2" or 8" overall length. I feel it in my pores that it's gonna be an awesome belt knife. I think it will make a great hunting knife for those into that. Skinning and such.

I'm really anxious myself, like nobody knows that already.

Oh I was talking about the one on your belt now. The regular mini. No question im gonna grab up a micro if I get half a chance:thumbup: I want the whole set. I already got the big daddy! Its an amazing piece of steel! Love the way its balanced! Hope they get the power squared away soon so these customs get rolling!
Well under 5 1/2? If they follow my plan along with Mr. Talls help it's be around 3 1/2" blade, so it's legal pretty much everywhere.

About 7 1/2" or 8" overall length. I feel it in my pores that it's gonna be an awesome belt knife. I think it will make a great hunting knife for those into that. Skinning and such.

I'm really anxious myself, like nobody knows that already.

Back