Polarized vs. Non Polarized Sunglasses

Hi

Do you guys recommend polarized or non polarized Sunglasses ?

Is there a real difference in terms of protection of the eye?

Polarized reduces glare. I have 2 pairs of Maui Jims and my wife has one as well. I love them, I used to wear Oakleys. You can often find new in the box deals on ebay.

I wouldnt worry so much about polarized vs non. What you need to look for in protection is UV rating to my understanding. Recently having melanoma, I was told it is a common cancer of the eyes. Blocking the UV light can possibly help prevent this.

Polarized is definitely better because it cuts way back on glare.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with a respectable pair of non-polarized sunglasses. I prefer Oakleys.

Polarized isn't protection, it just knocks down glare.

UV coating is protection.

I prefer polarized all the time, but the UV coating is what protects my eyes.

Polarized are well worth it for reducing glare.

They're especially useful for fishing in my experience.

A polarized pair of amber tinted lenses is the best IMO.

If you spend any time on or near the water (fish, boat, kayak) or in the snow (ski, hike, sled, etc.) get polarized.

If you spend any time driving in the rain they really make a difference too as long as the tint isn't so dark that it reduces your vision.

ukknifer, I do a lot of bass fishing & shallow water fishing. The polarized lenses are the only way you can see into 3'-5' of water in the summer months. Maui Jim is a very good pair, along with Costa Del Mar & WWS.
Be sure and get a hanging strap for these, first pair I had went over the side of my bass boat into 68' of water . . . :grumpy:
Be safe.

ukknifer, I do a lot of bass fishing & shallow water fishing. The polarized lenses are the only way you can see into 3'-5' of water in the summer months. Maui Jim is a very good pair, along with Costa Del Mar & WWS.
Be sure and get a hanging strap for these, first pair I had went over the side of my bass boat into 68' of water . . . :grumpy:
Be safe.

I believe they're called "croakies".

They've saved my butt a few times fishing, losing a pair of $150+ sunglasses sucks and it's a mistake you'll only make once.

losing a pair of $150+ sunglasses sucks and it's a mistake you'll only make once.

Losing 'em is something you only do once. Having your daughter accidentally sit on them and snap an arm off is another thing you only do once. :p

Lost a pair of Gargoyle Legends in North Carolina. Had my 8 year-old daughter sit on my jacket and break a pair of polarized Anarchy's.

Both were my fault. I shouldn't have left my jacket on the chair with my $120 glasses in the pocket.

Honestly I think that a good pair of sunglasses are more functional than a woman's ear rings. My wife would have no problem spending $200 on ear rings and they serve no purpose other than decoration. At least sun glasses protect your eyes. I've spent the past 18 years working with color. My eyes are my tools and I have to protect them the same way pianist would protect his/her hands.

I much prefer polarized lenses my self. I wear them for driving, riding, sailing and when snowboarding or treking in the mountains.
As stated already they really cut down on glare and reflections so are great for being around water or snow and driving or riding.
I personally prefer Oakleys or Black Flys but any good quality set of glasses will serve you well. :):thumbup:

i'll go against the grain here.

i prefer non-polarized lenses. the polarized lenses seem to affect my vision, blurring from some angles just a bit. i also don't like the way they filter out some lighting, like the digital readouts on gas pumps. but i don't spend much time on the water or in the snow.

so for me, the benefits do not outweigh the extra cost.

i go with the regular oakleys.

My wife and I both have had laser eye surgery. Both optometrists told us buy a good pair of polarized lenses to protect our "investments". His recommendations were either Maui Jims or Oakley. After spending several thousand dollars on our eyes, a couple hundred bucks seemed like a no brainer. If you are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a cutting instrument, why not do it for something as important to you as your eyeballs.

I will never buy another pair of non-polarized sunglasses. I find that I can wear a lighter tinted polarized lens vs a darker non-polarized and achieve the same sun reduction effect. I mostly use Native Eyewear.

I will never buy another pair of non-polarized sunglasses. I find that I can wear a lighter tinted polarized lens vs a darker non-polarized and achieve the same sun reduction effect. I mostly use Native Eyewear.
Same here, same here, same here:thumbup:
My Natives are falling apart after a few years, and got new lenses because they do scratch fairly easily, but they look good, and are the most comfortable of any sunglasses I've tried.

I believe they're called "croakies".
They've saved my butt a few times fishing, losing a pair of $150+ sunglasses sucks and it's a mistake you'll only make once.

A, I would have called them anything if I would have had them . . . :) And as you say, you only make that mistake once . . . The pro I was fishing with said he had lost his once too, but that did not make the feeling in the pit of my stomach feel any better.
Be safe.

I used nothing but polarized lenses for a long time, but then I got a GPS. An LCD screen works by polarizing light; if you're wearing polarized sunglasses that screws it all up. So I had to get some non-polarized glasses for when I'm driving and need to see the GPS.

Polarized glasses are also more fun because you will see rainbowlike interference patterns on things, Moire patterns in safety glass, and if you tilt your head, surfaces that strongly polarize light will lighten or darken. I think it's highly entertaining, but many other people don't.

There can also be issues with viewing LCD monitors and displays.

Back