Polishing Water Buffalo Horn Handle

V44

Received a Service #1 the other day (from a dealer) and now I know the difference between a tourist toy and the real thing. However, the handle had a few longitudinal cracks almost the whole length of the handle through the the grip-enhancing designs.

They don't appear too deep, but I am going to fill them nevertheless with epoxy, then sand them down flush.

My question is: how to restore the high polish to the handle afterwards? Buffing with what? Then shoe polish to restore the color and high gloss?

Any help appreciated.

------------------
Dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.

I've had pretty good luck using Flitz (which is also excellent for removing rust and restoring a mirror polish to blades).

Originally posted by Berkley:
I've had pretty good luck using Flitz

How'd you know a tube of Flitz was sent along in the package when I got the khuk? You got ESP or something?
wink.gif

------------------

Hi there. I know you probably don't have one of these sitting around in your basement or garage, but when I need to do a quick polish job, I use a rotary polisher with a cloth polishing wheel and some rouge. With it, I can get a mirror sheen on horn, wood - just about anything. Just don't over polish the horn - it'll burn if you are not careful. Also, don't heat up the handle, as you can cause problems with the laha - the natural glue used to help hold the handle in place. I also use the same wheel to restore small surface abrasions on blades - it works wonders as long as you don't heat up the blade too much (can ruin the temper). Barring a big polishing wheel, I think Dremel makes some polishing attachments for its tool. You can buy them at Home Depot, and that offers you a smaller version of what I use.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig, hello. Truly a stunningly well made knife, much more refined than I anticipated from having seen run-of-the-mill Khuks previously; and if it is an example of duty carry, then all the more kudos to the kamis who made and finished it.

All I had to do was a bit of filing to round the points on the ends of the brass butt cap, and it fits my hand perfectly.

Thanks for all your efforts in getting such fine examples of handmade work to us.

As for polishing the horn handle, I've used the Flitz and it did the job. I don't think I am going near my polishing wheel; it's too nice in its present state to fuss with any.

------------------

V44,

I understand that Super Glue (Liquid, NOT Gel) is a good way to go in filling the cracks. It's nearly invisible and will bond the horn forever.

Hope I got this out in time for you to try it.

------------------
Blackdog
ffca0608.gif.orig.gif

Back