Poll. Those who forge vs those who do stock removal.

Do you forge, use stock removal, or both?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning! Looking to get a poll going of how many people forge there blades vs how many people do stock removal or a little of both. By stock removal I mean grinding a knife from a block of steel not cleaning up a forged blade on a grinder. Not looking for a argument on which is better just a poll of who does what.

Daniel.

I have only done stock removal so far (about 25 knives). I plan on forging when I can find a good anvil. So in the future I hope to be both.

I prefer good quality stainless. I only do stock removal.
I do like the looks of blades forged out of round stock

Currently I only do stock removal.
However, I really want to learn and start to forge.
I voted stock removal though since that is how I make my knives.

started the first year with stock removal, now I only forge
I like high carbon steels and the ability to ht myself.

getting things flat (by forging) is more work (for me)
if I had to make a living at knife-making, I would probably do stock removal, I think it's more efficient to make a profit.

Last edited:
I'm a stock removal guy. I'd like to start forging when space allows, however. I like working with stainless so I'll probably be in the "both" category eventually.

Forging is and has always been the superior way to make a knife....

That'll get em going... lol... joking... I do BOTH but find more enjoyment in forging, personally.

I use Superior Modern Stainless Steels so I use Stock Removal only!:p
There is a Pyromaniac inside everyone that Forges!

Both, but I have mostly forged. I stock remove for steels like 3V and AEB-L. I send those out for HT. I also did stock removal with the very thin .110 115W8 stock I got a while back but forged the .200 stock and obviously the damascus I made from the thin stuff and 15N20. I guess that technically, I also "stock remove" the bevels on ladder pattern and mosaic damascus blades.

It depends on the steel, I forge most steels but something like 15n20 I usually do stock removal due to the thin stock

Both. Majority stock removal so far but mostly because of keeping up with orders and not lack of desire to forge more.

One more option would be good for folks like me who are 90% stock removal, but do sometime forge a blade. I'd like to forge more, but seems most folks want stainless, and my shoulders don't allow much in the way of forging either. Maybe:

1. forging
2 stock removal
3 mostly forge with some stock removal
4 about half 'n half forging vs stock removal
5 mostly stock removal with some forging

Hmmmm - that got 5 options.

Good survey anyway.

Stock removal.

I would like to learn to forge at some point, but I don't have the time right now.

Forging is and has always been the superior way to make a knife....

That'll get em going... lol... joking... I do BOTH but find more enjoyment in forging, personally.
I believe that you are probably right about forged blades being superior but I can't help but notice that the stock removal knife makers are a little more intelligent and usually better looking. Larry

I do both. I started out forging because I didn't have a very good grinder and so I tried to forge as close to shape as possible.
Once I got 2"x72" grinders and 36 grit belts I found I could stock remove much faster than if I forged and then went to the grinder.
If I forge a blade I have more time in it and need to charge more.
There is certainly a place for forging. If I have a piece of steel 1 1/2" wide and wish to make a blade 2" wide, forging is the way to go.
Forging also saves material. But for me, unless it's Damascus my time is more important than saving material.

For me so far it has only been stock removal. I have built a disc grinder, belt grinder, and a heat treating oven. I have only worked with oil quench steels. I do have plans to do some forging in the near future. I am currently gathering materials to build a blown PID controlled forge. In the future I want to build a press and make Damascus. It just looks like it would be a lot of fun creating the patterns!

I do both, but prefer the forge.
But knives are really a minor percent of my overall. Worked as electrician/millwright 36 years. Aside from large constructions, there is crap little in metalwork I cant do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back