Popular and/or controversial Chinese knives, from around 2010

I like the huge variety of knives we have, from all over the world, these days, but I also remember how things were a few decades ago.
These knives below were talked about a lot, for various reasons in the early 2010s, though many may no longer be aware of them. Some may still be available.

So, here is an overview of them, from my memory. They all have decent heat treat and lower end but OK steel, 8Cr. No bearings at the pivot, as they were not common then.

The top one, the Enlan EL01, was at the time popular as it was a large linerlock folder, with good construction that opened with an authoritative "clunk". They were very solid and provided a cheap hard use knife for many. It came in a few covers and has had changes in some parts, like the pivot screws through the years. Was under $10 at the time.

The middle one was the Land 961 (or Land/SRM 961). This may look OK know, but in the early 2010 the axis lock patent was still valid, in the US at least, so some people were upset about it being used (out of the US), though I am not aware if any action was officially taken. I assume it was not sold, directly, in the US. It was changed to different locking mechanism in later years, based on a Google search. The lock was solid and the overall knife had a solid feel.

There was some panic buying at the time as due to Law changes it was rumoured that bigger bladed knives would no longer be sold in China, thus they could be discontinued.

The third one was the SRM 710. The issue at the time was the resemblance to the Sebenza, not being helped by many calling it the poor man's Sebenza, that led to countless discussions of how similar they were, at the time. Solid farmelock, heavy as it is SS. Very popular, at the time.

Last edited:
I remember these knives. I gave out SRM 710's as stocking stuffer Christmas gifts to 4 or 5 guys on my team at work one year. One had rust issues but the others seemed to be just fine as beater knives around the office. Never had much use for them myself as I don't care for tip up carry.

Here is another interesting and popular SRM, from the same era. SRM AL-H02

It is a non-locking slipjoint folder, with halfstop, AND two thumb-studs making it OHO and ambidextrous. Nice colourful covers
This may look common today, a modern(ised) traditional, but it was unusual at the time. Around $6

I like the huge variety of knives we have, from all over the world, these days, but I also remember how things were a few decades ago.
These knives below were talked about a lot, for various reasons in the early 2010s, though many may no longer be aware of them. Some may still be available.

So, here is an overview of them, from my memory. They all have decent heat treat and lower end but OK steel, 8Cr. No bearings at the pivot, as they were not common then.

The top one, the Enlan EL01, was at the time popular as it was a large linerlock folder, with good construction that opened with an authoritative "clunk". They were very solid and provided a cheap hard use knife for many. It came in a few covers and has had changes in some parts, like the pivot screws through the years. Was under $10 at the time.

The middle one was the Land 961 (or Land/SRM 961). This may look OK know, but in the early 2010 the axis lock patent was still valid, in the US at least, so some people were upset about it being used (out of the US), though I am not aware if any action was officially taken. I assume it was not sold, directly, in the US. It was changed to different locking mechanism in later years, based on a Google search. The lock was solid and the overall knife had a solid feel.

There was some panic buying at the time as due to Law changes it was rumoured that bigger bladed knives would no longer be sold in China, thus they could be discontinued.

The third one was the SRM 710. The issue at the time was the resemblance to the Sebenza, not being helped by many calling it the poor man's Sebenza, that led to countless discussions of how similar they were, at the time. Solid farmelock, heavy as it is SS. Very popular, at the time.

I can only speak for the enlan picked one up in a group buy on another forum maybe 12 years ago , beat the hell out of it and last year gave it to someone who continued the beating . It is still going strong and sharpens up well and is still smooth with regular pivot oil etc .

Back