Possibility of lock/handle failures.

Hi there! Just wondering if you can point me to some technical data regarding the possibly of handle and lock failures in your folders.

The relevant thread is in the Knife Reviews forum, where Cliff Stamp does a review of the CS vaquero grande lock. He suggests Outdoor Edge for products which are similar in price.

Eric

------------------
Eric Chan, ekfchan@hotmail.com
ND student
www.ccnm.edu
www.bastyr.edu

Outdoor Edge knives are engineered as strong as possible for their intended use. Up until now we have never performed failure tests on our locks so we have no techical data for lock or handle strength. Buck Knives was planning a comparative test on several knives which was supposed to include the Magna however my contact person at Buck left the company and I don't know if the test was ever performend.

In Cold Steel's marketing they state that they make the "World's Strongest Sharpest Knives". In order to back this up they made a video where they cut rope and put a lot of weight on their knives. Note that they are only testing Cold Steel in this video so it does not show how sharp or strong their competitor's knives are.

Since our knives are plenty strong for anything you would use a knife for I don't see much need to find how much force it takes to break our knives, although this information would be interesting.

No matter how well a knife is made or designed, defects do occur and everyone's knives do break from time to time including Cold Steel. One thing to keep in mind is that Outdoor Edge/Edge Tech fully stands behind out products. If one of our products does break we will promptly repair or replace it.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

Eric,
I have been considering buying the Kodi-Pak set. Before I purchase a knife, I like to see how the company interacts with it's customers. I have read a number of David's replies to questions about his products and warranty. He is confident in his product without making fantastic claims about it's performance. The most telling thing about his company is that the product is backed by a lifetime warranty. I have never tried to return an Outdoor Edge product so I can't tell you if they stand behind it.
What I can tell you is that I haven't found anything bad in the Good, Bad, and Ugly forum yet. That is usually a pretty good indicator.

Jim

To Jim:

(Off Topic Post)
Before purchasing the Kodi-Pak, Take a look at our new Griz-Pak. It holds the Kodi-Skinner and the 2" longer Griz-Saw on a compact Zytel sheath. I recommend the Griz-Pak over the Kodi-Pak because it carries easier on the belt. If you really want the caping knife that comes with the Kodi-Pak you can buy the Kodi-Caper separate with a Griz-Pak and still have all three tools.

Thanks for your comments.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

Back