possible to swap out blades on a Leatherman?

I just got a Wave second hand, and as useful as most of the tools look, there's a couple on there I know I'll never hardly use.. I'd really like to swap in an awl and a little tweezer.. opening the security torx looks easy enough, but.. would that break something? Are replacement parts available somewhere?

New Wave Or Old Wave? Old wave has messed-up torx but the new Wave takes a standard security torx. No, you won't break anything if it's a new version. IMO!

New wave.. well, I guess. It has locks on the little tools to, and the screwdriver comes out and reverses. I got it second hand, and I like it mucho better than the old one I had once upon a time.

So... where can I get the other tools? Do I need to just find another model to cannibalize? Will the tools interchange across models? Or is there a place to order 'em as pieces parts?

I think you will have to cannibalize. I don't know of any places that sell parts, and Leatherman certainly doesn't (and won't change implements for you either).

Kaylee said:
New wave.. well, I guess. It has locks on the little tools to, and the screwdriver comes out and reverses. I got it second hand, and I like it mucho better than the old one I had once upon a time.

So... where can I get the other tools? Do I need to just find another model to cannibalize? Will the tools interchange across models? Or is there a place to order 'em as pieces parts?

The Kick is the cheapest model to cannabalize but it does not have the awl you mentioned. It would have to be an awl from a Leatherman to work without serious modification. Maybe the Surge would suit you better since it has the awl in it. You can alway make the awl yourself if you want just use the implement you are going to replace and make sure it is the same thickness and not too long.

Tsquare said:
The Kick is the cheapest model to cannabalize but it does not have the awl you mentioned. It would have to be an awl from a Leatherman to work without serious modification. Maybe the Surge would suit you better since it has the awl in it. You can alway make the awl yourself if you want just use the implement you are going to replace and make sure it is the same thickness and not too long.

The Surge awl won't work, at least not without heavy modification. I have a Charge XTi (same size as a Wave) and a Surge in front of me. The Surge awl is wider and longer than what would fit inside a Wave. Not only that, it's thicker than the small bit driver and the opener on the Wave, and probably (although I cannot verify this) the scissors and large screwdriver as well. So more than one implement will have to be removed to make room, or one will have to be removed and another made thinner, or the large bit driver would have to be removed.

You may want to consider doing something else. You can carry the very small Leatherman or SAK scissors elsewhere on your person easily. The Leatherman Squirt P4 has an awl, and it's keychain-sized. The Squirt S4 has tweezers. So here an idea... get both Squirt models and combine them so you have a custom model with both tweezers and an awl. Unfortunately the Squirts are not held together with screws... it's held together with rivets, and they're convex to boot. Still, if you are motivated enough...

No problem. The Surge may be too big if the smaller size tool is easier to carry, not to mention the cost. The cost of these things is not getting any cheaper, all these new improvements just keep getting more expensive.

Back