Post your 165's!

Last edited:
Serial #2102 on "left" side of blade. Probably 1968. Sharpening stone sealed in factory plastic. Strap on sheath oriented diagonally. Not even a fingerprint on this one.

122ya2v.jpg

Nice! That is one rare assembly to find these days! Did I mention that I have number 00009? I did? :D

Congrats! By the way, the tray is in the box (WITH PATENTED HINGES) backwards. ;) Be very cautious if you attempt to remove and rotate it though. While only held in by friction, those thin vac formed trays can become brittle with age.

Also... if it hasn't shipped yet, have the seller wrap and ship the stone and knife separately as they tend to eat each other and the tray in shipping. It is worth any extra cost to take this precaution.

It's nice to see this thread is still going. You guys have found and posted some really nice examples. :)
Someday I will repost my 165 pics which were deleted from photobucket. A caution to all who tread these hallowed halls- if you want to refer to any images at a later date, it behooves you to save them to your own computer; they may have a nebulous life on the forums.
Quite a few years back I was involved in a lengthy discussion about just that. It seems that the best idea that was come up with is to not only store them on your PC, but burn them to archival quality disc as well. If you have ever had a hard drive take a dump on you the reason will become immediately apparent.

I have an external backup hard drive running all the time, and sometimes do additional backups of various things on thumb drives, which are relatively inexpensive, very reliable, tiny.
So, you trust thumb drives pretty well? I might have to look into that as an option. I know I do "not" trust hard drives any more. They are good while they work, until they don't.
More recently I have been looking at SSD's (Solid State Drives). In fact I bought a Dell Laptop with one in it as the main drive. I just haven't played with it enough to be sure. Since they have no moving parts they should last a long time. I just worry about files becoming corrupt for what ever reason they do become corrupt. I have lost a lot of data in the past when hard drives crash. Just call me gun shy because of that. :eek:

was just given a schrade walden165 UH (03245) marked on the left side of the blade with a sharpening stone on the sheath brass buttens

Welcome to the forum Craig! Here is some information about your knife from a research post I made some time back:

Early success of the 165OT inspired Schrade to issue an Uncle Henry version of the knife. The UH version, named the Prospector, made a short two year production run at Walden (1969-70) and was revived in 1994 for a four year run in Ellenville, retiring again after 1997. Later, the pattern was produced for limited editions and private issues from time to time.

So your knife was most likely made in 1970, judging by the serial number. Any time one is found in good condition with the original sheath also in good condition after all these years is a bonus. New in the original box with the associated papers would indeed be a rarity and I don't recall having seen one in years. Though I do own several of the earliest Old Timer 165OT base patterns new in the box complete. Including the serial #00009, the 9th one made in 1966.

Yes, WELCOME to the forums Craig. :) Photo's of your 165 when you can are also a bonus. ;)

will get some photos asap I think my kids used my usb as a leash for the dog thanks
you for the info

Yep, that was another 165 Craftsman variant stolen from my collection some time back. IIRC it had the elephant hide sheath with metal throat guard, and besides the hidden tang with brass pommel and screw, had bowling ball black Delrin handle. The blade was also etched, "Deerslayer - A.C.A. Edge".

2z6gpli.jpg

2r72d02.jpg

259jvoz.jpg

Last edited:
Back