Premium mini multitool?

I’m fairly new to the world of multi-tools; recently started carrying a Gerber Dime as my edc keychain multitool. I’m fairly satisfied with its functionality and versatility, but I’d like to know if there are any premium versions of these small multi-tool pliers, with better steels, like s30v/s35vn and such. Any suggestions?

The steel is not quite that premium, but the Boker Plus Tech-Tool City 4 has pliers and a 12C27 main blade. The MKM Campo has M390, but doesn't have pliers. If you want S30V, you may need to move up to something larger like the Leatherman Charge TTi. Or, you might split duties and use a Knipex for the pliers and get a multi-tool without that. For comparison, here is the Knipex Cobra next to an MKM Campo. If you prefer SAK, the Campo is just a little longer than the Ranger.
53140022772_d78c3f46bd_k.jpg

53132035034_8691977917_k.jpg

I’m fairly new to the world of multi-tools; recently started carrying a Gerber Dime as my edc keychain multitool. I’m fairly satisfied with its functionality and versatility, but I’d like to know if there are any premium versions of these small multi-tool pliers, with better steels, like s30v/s35vn and such. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately I've been more and more disappointed with the smaller multitool options over the last couple of years. I was lucky enough to grab a couple Leatherman Juices, a Leatherman Squirt ($129 on Amzn now... really?), and Leatherman Craters to keep me tied over. Unlike my friend who needs a MT with pliers for larger bolts, I usually use the pliers for smaller things, like pulling staples out of carpet, and cutting a wire or zip tie. I have larger LM and Vic MT's but almost never carry them.

I have the Gerber Dime, two in fact. On the second medium duty job I tried the phillips and bent it. In comparison I used a LM Squirt to temporarily tighten a massive screw on one of those heavy hospital automatic doors without a hitch... down side is that I had to send it into LM once because the spring on the scissors broke with minimal use. Truth be told, even though the Squirt punches above it's weight, it doesn't hold a candle to the tasks I've done with the Juice. In the past I've also tried the Vic SAK's, but the side hold phillips was more of a pain to use for me, and I prefer a pocket clip for my preferred carry location. Your needs may be different.

Fast forward to today where I keep the Juice for travel (covers a lot of bases), I usually EDC a LM Crater C33TX (also discontinued) and a 4 1/2" Crescent Tongue and Groove pliers. Although it loses a couple things from the Juice, it adds to the bolt size capability... plus if I swap in my Curl for the Crater I can work on those bolts/nuts on my cyclone fence.

It really depends on what you generally use throughout the day. LM just seemed to have strong, well cut tools and strong joints at the pivots that punched above their weight compared to competitive offerings. I keep thinking I'll try going back to one of my Vic's but I tend to use the pliers often enough to favor the LM's.

As of today, I'll try to swap in the LM Curl for the Crater in my back pocket, but it's noticeably heavier and without texture under the pocket clip it slips out of my pocket too easily... also why I won't try the pocket clip on my Vic Spirit.

If you made it this far with my overly long rant, IMO if you want to take the next step in the MT continuum, you want a slightly upgraded steel, and you like pliers, my recommendation would be the Leatherman Skeletool CX. Its blade is 154CM steel (instead of the LM standard 420HC) and has no serrations. It was a step back for me from the Juice, but has decent quality tool set for the size/weight. I got a standard one on a 50% off deal locally a few years back, tried it for awhile, and later put it in my car's emergency pack.

Back