Pretty neat grinder build I thought you guys might like...

Drew Riley

Riley Knife and Tool
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Been following this YouTuber for a little while now, and he's got some really good vids on various projects. He's pretty young, and perhaps a little quirky, but seems to have a good head on his shoulders and a great sense of humor.

He recently built a 2x72 using mostly 3/8" flat stock and a welder, and I think he had some pretty cool innovations in a couple of spots. Not sure I wouldn't have done everything the same way, but I'm sure he'd say the same about my grinder build. ;)

Anyway, here's Jeremy Schmidt, and his build vid for a nice 2x72 grinder:

[video=youtube;a_RlL1O-bK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_RlL1O-bK4&t=0s[/video]

I really like his quote: ""If you can't make it perfect, at least make it adjustable."

Let's see if that link above works - this new website will take some learning to use properly.

That certainly is a solid build - not sure I agree with ALL his ideas, but he does a GOOD job of putting it together..... and editing a video!

Ken H>

Thanks Ken,
That young fellow has some serious shop skills. I really like the co-axial setup for the main arm. Having it inline with the belt instead of offset is genius. His hinging and adjustments are also superior.

i like the tracking and the hinge that leaves the rest in position. i just dont see how he's going to ever get a contact wheel of any size to bolt up. for a platen only set up it's great, but the body of the grinder is going to prevent mounting of a wheel. he has great building skills, i believe he just didnt think past a platen.

Let's give Drew credit for the link to the video - I just fixed the link so it was visible without having to copy 'n paste.

I agree, while I admire his building skills, the grinder itself just seems a tad overly complex with his build. I do think with a platen it's a solid grinder. I can see having the drive wheel in line with the tool arm there would be less flex, but not sure there is enough flex to be a problem anyway.

It looks to me like with the right offset you could use the second tool arm slot for a contact wheel.

That looks pretty well thought out to me.

I really like his quote: ""If you can't make it perfect, at least make it adjustable."

Let's see if that link above works - this new website will take some learning to use properly.

That certainly is a solid build - not sure I agree with ALL his ideas, but he does a GOOD job of putting it together..... and editing a video!

Ken H>

That quote should definitely be a a tee shirt some where. Thanks for fixing the link; I had posted this right before the forum went down for upgrades, and apparently it's a bit different now.
The kid can definitely edit a video!

Great video Drew!
I like the tilt on that. I also like that he got the upright support behind the belt.
Great video making, I enjoyed the entire 35 minutes.
Just one gripe: Why grey? :)

Pretty cool that he did the grinder from scratch and the video itself is well done. Thanks for sharing that!

Here's the first attachment that he made for the grinder. I pretty neat little radius jig.
May have to do something like this myself one of these days!

He's got some good features, well thought out.

Nice farm shop, nice tools.
Good fab skills.
Give this kid's parents a pat on the back.

Last edited:
Back