Preventing Tarnish on Brass rivets?

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering a purchase of the Saddleback Leather Large Thin Briefcase, depending on how much I like the Medium Bi-Fold Wallet I ordered(both will be in chestnut;)). Going back to school for my Accounting Degree and I just wanted something nicer and more durable to hold my stuff. A typical backpack lasts MAYBE a year for me with regular use, so I'm a little tired of sinking in $25 every year for something that simply doesn't last(including a Maxpedition backpack that is tossing frayed nylon everywhere). Plus I'd probably enjoy giving it a Lexol treatment regularly:thumbup:.

But living in Hawaii with somewhat regular rainfall at least once every week depending on the season, the brass rivets are a point of concern for me. While I don't think it would be that troublesome to polish them every now and then, I'd rather not have to do that every week. Not too concerned about the leather since the site recommends soaking it in freshwater for 24 hours as a solution for dropping it in saltwater, so I doubt a little rain(or tropical storm rains:D) will hurt it.

I'm wondering what kind of oxygen barriers would be good for protecting the brass rivets. I have Ren Wax, though I'm reasonably sure that stuff isn't mean for parts that has regular contact with other objects be it skin or clothing, as it would simply rub off. I'm curious about Eezox given the rave reviews it has. The one thing I'm wondering about is whether either of these would have any kind of a negative reaction to the leather.

I've used Flitz polish on my firearms, bike spokes, knives, etc. But to clean/polish/protect rivets on a leather brief case would be more than I would care to do. It would be a bit difficult to keep the polish from not getting on the leather. One suggestion I thought of was using a thin brush and coating the rivets with clear nail polish. I personally like the patina brass develops as it ages as it gives it more character. Good luck.

Last edited:
I've used Flitz polish on my firearms, bike spokes, knives, etc. But to clean/polish/protect rivets on a leather brief case would be more than I would care to do. I would be a bit difficult to keep the polish from not getting on the leather. One suggestion I thought of was using a thin brush and coating the rivets with clear nail polish. I personally like the patina brass develops as it ages as it gives it more character. Good luck.
I like a patina as much as the next guy(okay, maybe not AS much;)), but this disgusting green crud that grows on every bit of exposed brass I see(including the stuff on my custom M390 South Fork from Phil Wilson) does not appeal to me.

Plus I suspect it's not sanitary and does permanent damage to the metal, much more so than rust does on steel.

Nail polish has a tendency to rub off when it brushes against something. Paul, the maker of Eezox did suggest trying some on a piece of leather to see how it reacts, since he never experimented on what it would do to leather, so one of my strops will be the guinea pig:thumbup:.

NocTis- I'm live in Honolulu too, and have a classic large breifcase for about 6-months now and love it. I use it everyday and the brass hardware on the fastening strap remains unchanged showing no signs of wear or greenish patina (yet). So unless you take it to the beach I wouldn't worry at all. Heck, take it to the beach- I still wouldn't worry. Ymmv, of course. Ever consider the briefcase? The thing is wide and would hold books, notepads, and a lot of other stuff quite easily should you need to. The thin breifcase is, thin, and will limit what you are able to put into it. Good luck in accounting school!

Back