Primalaft Jacket & Synthetic Insulation

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a synthetic insulation jacket to wear in temperatures ranging from to 45F (7C) to 55F (12C). Currently had my sights on jackets with Primaloft filling, and considering:

1. North Face "On Sight" Jacket
2. Mountain Equipment Fitzroy Jacket

Ok, now the thing is, I'm not sure how warm Primaloft is, and how comfortable it is in the cold. What I've seen on the forums is that 100g primaloft is good enough for 25 degrees F with just a T-shirt. While others say they feel quite good at 53F.

So I'm wondering if it will be too warm for me to wear such a jacket at around 50F. Anyone has experience with Primaloft? (If it helps I'm using the jacket for walking around the city and not serious outdoor climbing. No layering to be done except for a T-shirt)

Currently deciding between 60g and 100g Primaloft. Thanks!

I've got a Victorinox Primaloft jacket, but I'm not sure how many grams of insulation it has, but it is really warm. Its plenty warm for temps around 20F-30F at a moderate activity level (hiking without a pack for instance). For temperatures around 50 degrees its okay as long as my activity level isn't too high and I leave the jacket unzipped. Based on this I'd lean toward getting the 60g one for temps around 50F.

Brandon

I own quite a bit of primeloft. The list includes a snowsuit with gortex outer shell, primeloft mitts, a primeloft bomber type jacket and a primeloft sweater. Primeloft really excels in cold and while not as compressible as down, packs down better than many other synthetics and it works great while wet. I remember building an igloo with my kids using the primeloft mitts. It was too cold for the snow to stick, so I was adding water to harden the snow and my mitts became so soaked that the outsides became completely frozen, yet my hands stayed completely warm. From that point on I was sold on the stuff!

The fitzroy jacket looks like about the same weight as my primeloft sweater which is okay for the temperature rating suggested. I do suggest that this is probably overkill for 7 to 12oC, but I sometimes use my primeloft sweater to throw in the pack in these conditions and take it out when I get cold. Overall, I find that my primeloft sweater is more packable than a mid-weight (e.g. 200 wt) fleece, offers better wind protection that the fleece doesn't and I find it to be warmer. On the minus sides, like all synthetics, my sweater (and I suspect the same of your Fitzroy) is prone to spark holes near the fire and its not the most robust of material for thorns and nettles and requires you use a shell with it in these conditions. Like I said, I use my primeloft more as a back-up under the conditions you list. What I generally tend to prefer for lets say 5 to 12oC is a merino wool sweater with merino wool long underwear underneath. I find the wool a better temperature regulator, resists sparks and is quieter to wear but is not as packable as the primeloft and not quite as windproof.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Brandon, I guess I could go with a 100g jacket with the front unzipped like you suggested, but the sad thing is I tend to get warm quickly.

kgd Thanks for the write-up! I guess I will be looking for a 60g Primaloft jacket instead. I'm keeping away from down jackets since I can't get rid of the doggy smell from my last one after it was washed.

Thanks guys! By the way Mountain Equipment replied me as well. The customer service rep thought that 100g would be too warm for the temperatures I mentioned, and would be more suited for temperatures around freezing.

This is a bit off the topic, but why Primaloft for those "warmer" temps? I've always found a wool jacket to be more durable, warmer, but more breathable, and water resistant, fire resistant, with the drawback of being more heavy.
My down jacket is only necessary for winter temps, and it's nice that it's light. Any other time of year, give me wool, ala Ibex or Filson or Woolrich or Pendleton.

I'd say weight and volume. Even in summer I normally carry a light down jacket (of course it's not uncommon in the mountains for temps to drop to freezing or below at night) backpacking or day hiking.

I had a nice 60 gram primaloft pullover (Patagonia Nano), but I always ending up going w/ the down, so it was sold. If I lived in the PNW (or other wet environ), I'd probably purchase another similar jacket.

Agreed that around fire- anything nylon is susceptible. In cooler weather I often layer a down layer under a wool layer, works well :)

I had Integral Designs customize a primaloft jacket for me. I don't really know the weight. I ordered it to use for heavy kayaking and scrambling in summer arctic weather and it has turned out to be very versatile and surprisingly durable. The shell has to be chosen carefully of course. For me primaloft excels for active use because it works when wet and dries well, which is the opposite of down. To control heat and perspiration I customized with side zip vents. For me it works better than wool except around fires. Layering is the most versatile way to go.

Back