Problem with brand new BUCK.

I have a question regarding BUCK’s customer service. For Father’s Day I received the new version of the 277 Folding Alpha Hunter with 154CM steel and rosewood handles. I opened the box and started playing around with the new knife but something just didn’t feel right. Opening and closing was not nearly as smooth as my several years old 277 with the 420 blade. I noticed that the Torx bolt that holds the blade in place was a bit messed up looking and upon farther inspection I realized that the blade only has a washer on one side instead of both sides. This causes the blade to lie against and rub one side of the inner frame. My old 277 has washers on both sides with one being a little thinner than then other.

Now, after all of that, what do you guys think that Buck customer service will do regarding this problem? Will have be sending the knife in for several weeks before getting it back or will they just send the two parts needed to fix the problem? What a downer this was after the initial excitement of receiving the new version of the 277 Folding Alpha Hunter.

Thanks for your input,
Kevin

They WILL make it right. They have great customer service, call them and have them send you the washers.

Sending it in would work, usually pretty quick. Why cant you just take it back to where it was bought and exchange it?

moving-van.jpg

The knife was purchased online and was ordered before it was in stock and now they are out of stock again.

I called BUCK and had to explain what the problem was to four different people. Finally Carol asked that I send the knife in but what they were going to do was take the 154CM blade out of this knife and put it in another frame and it could take several weeks. I was told that they do not have the 277 folder w/154CM in stock. After a lot of pleading she said that they would ship me the washers and Torx bolt that’s needed to repair the knife. Hopefully all will end well.

Hey KLJ,

I got the same knife yesterday for fathers day and it's a jem. This knife feels like it's saoked in teflon it opens and closes so smooth. It's always a bummer when you run into a minor hitch but you'll be grinning ear to ear when you resolve the problem which sounds like a simple fix. Hang in there, it's well worth it.

My old 277 with 420 blade and Walnut (I think) handles is a very smooth opening knife and also built like a tank. It would appear that once the new has washers on both sides of the blade that it will also open and close as smooth as silk.
Happy Fathers Day to you, knives make wonderful gifts.

...Hi Kevin...That knife you refer to as your "old 277" with 420HC must have a model number somewhere on the blade. Can you read that number at all??...

I’m wrong about it being a 277, I would have swore that what model it was. The blade reads 279T, my mistake, but it is an older version of the Folding Alpha Hunter with a little lighter color wood handles.

...I kinda thought that's what it was...I also have a 420HC 279 with Walnut scales. They only made that one for 1 year. Nice one to have. Doesn't matter if it's 420HC or 154CM...they both sharpen up great and are terrific edc's...Nice folders...:thumbup:

Back