Protecting your knives using TUF CLOTH

hey, Have any of you guys used tuf cloth? they say it wont wash off and will protect your knife for a while, but i am skeptical. what do you guys think.

Also what other products besides oil can i use to keep my knives in good shape?

you just brought up a great point, what does parkerizing and blueing do to a knife, i have a knife from WWII that is parkerized and it is great, although i do not use it since it has sentimental value for me

I don't know but it's something worth researching. There is also a process called passivation.

T

TufCloth is highly recommended as a rust preventative. It's one of the best.
Bluing is a thin layer of oxide on non stainless steels. It is not good at preventing rust.
Parkerizing is a phosphate coating over a blasted or roughened finish on non stainless steels. It holds oil well.
Passivating is a process of pickling stainless steel in acid to in crease rust resistance.

It's my personal opinion that any and all coatings(except maybe BK and similar "semi-permanent" coatings) are useless with frequent use knives.

My experience with the TufCloth wasn't too promising. I had thoroughly coated my Endura with ZDP-189 using the TufCloth(the smell was just awful), and after trimming 5 cases of corn, I had found faint rust spots along the backbevel about 2-3 hours later(yes, I rinsed the knife with water and wiped it clean).

Ren-Wax proved equally ineffective after the knife is used in cutting moderately abrasive material(cardboard, or the wood-like stalk of corn).

Anything more "abrasive" than paper will easily rub off the coating. The coating is only useful for light cutting tasks, perhaps in the kitchen, though I'm not sure if you want any of the coating to go in your food(or someone else's). Even briskly rubbing the knife dry on paper towel might rub off the coating.

Though personally, I've found my Ren-Wax to be especially useful when protecting knives that I rarely use(high humidity pretty much means that anything that sits around for a long time will rust).

I would simply rely on the inherent corrosion resistance of the steel itself, and good general knife care practices(washing your knife and wiping it dry after each use). As such, I'm trying to limit my future knife purchases in knives with S90V or S110V steel for high corrosion resistance without sacrificing the ability to be "rough" with it.

Your only other option is to frequently and regularly recoat your blade, which may or may not work depending on your knife steel's natural corrosion resistance. As I pointed out before, my ZDP-189 started forming faint rust spots in mere HOURS after the coating was rubbed off.

Back