Protection knife against wild animals.

I've seen some argue the 20% version is a much better option than a handgun. Heck if I know the right answer.

Telling isn't it. The majority of us know that in the real world. #1, We will likely never or rarely even see a bear unless semi remote camping. #2. The odds of being attacked are extremely low. #3. Anything less than a powerful firearm wouldn't instantly incapacitate a bear. Well, maybe my feet and breath could..................:barf: :D Yet something primal dwells deep in our psyche warning us. Maybe it is the knowledge that it could be an extremely savage and painfull death as opposed to say walking downtown and getting smacked by a city bus. And the knowledge that one could be eaten alive is often distasteful. This is a worst case scenario\fantasy thread that touches something in us. Look at the view numbers, x6 of anything else current. I'm sure that most here take it all with a grain of salt. :) Although we know that some geographic locations DO increase ones odds of an encounter, that is real as some of us have lived there, or still do.

Exactly. To combat that think of it this way. Would you rather die in an instant with your adrenaline pumping and have it in your obituary that you got killed fighting a bear with your bare hands or would you rather die over months in painful agony from prostate cancer? And which one is more likely? Be aware of bears but don't worry about them. There's plenty of other things to worry about.

The warden and I were having an evening fire in a deserted regional park last night. It is getting pretty nippy in the evenings now, zero or a bit below. We heard the Coyotes doing their thing here and there across the lake etc. So I call them and join in. People do that around here, kind of a southern Saskatchewan farmer thing. Anyway, next thing you know we get a reply from some just above us on a hill in the jet black, and really close by. It kind of spooked us as we've never had them this close in the pitch black before. It sounds cliche and cheesey but what did I reach for ? My little Izula 2 in my pocket. My wife shot right up to me and I told her to go to the fire, which I stoked up to a bigger blaze. I never heard another peep from that hill. So, the rational side of me knows that NO Coyote will come near us by a fire. But the primal part of both of us was spooked a little. From hearing these animals close by in the pitch dark. My instinct was to grab a weapon and I had no stick or club. I found it amusing later at my instinctive response considering all of these threads.

All joking aside.Wouldn't a full sized sword/Katana & a basic to intermediate knowledge of how to use it fend off most wild animals?Except for maybe a pack of wolves coming at you from all directions.I can see lopping off a bears forearm or paw with a sharp sword.Pumas are usually stalking you & you don't know it until they're leaping onto your back,not much use for the sword against a silent predator like that.However if you seen him coming that'd be a different story.

All joking aside.Wouldn't a full sized sword/Katana & a basic to intermediate knowledge of how to use it fend off most wild animals?Except for maybe a pack of wolves coming at you from all directions.I can see lopping off a bears forearm or paw with a sharp sword.Pumas are usually stalking you & you don't know it until they're leaping onto your back,not much use for the sword against a silent predator like that.However if you seen him coming that'd be a different story.

All joking aside?

When was the last time you were 20ft. (or less) away from a big bear?

Never.:D Point taken

Sorry, not trying to be a jerk. But realistically, is anyone really going to carry a sword in the backcountry? There are far more practical deterrents, that are much easier to carry, imo. And that don't require getting as close.

But if I was on the set of a samurai movie, which just happened to be being filmed in bear country, and a bear attacked me, and there was a sword lying on the ground from the scene that was just filmed? Heck yeah, I'd use it. :D

In what can only be described as morbid curiosity to keep this riveting thread alive I must pose the following question. Clearly we have all read the story of the cougar attack fought off with a spear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24026618

According to our friends at Cold Steel it was their Boar spear.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Cold-Steel-Boar-Spear-Defends-Family-From-Cougar-Attack.aspx

"The Cold Steel Boar Spear struck a decisive blow for personal defense recently when it was used to successfully defend the life of a Vancouver woman who was being mauled by a cougar!"

By now most people have worked out the question that everyone wants answered but only a few intrepid souls are willing to toss caution and possibly reputation aside to address:

KNIFE vs. SPEAR which is best for self defense against wild animals? There.... the dice has been cast!

If I absolutely HAD to defend myself against a bear with a knife, I'd want one of these:
[video=youtube;Sa_NC-_fvKs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_NC-_fvKs[/video]

Or I'd want to be this guy:
[video=youtube;QHSXZnxLZ0I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHSXZnxLZ0I[/video]

One of my least favorite folding knives I suppose. A Mil-k with a tipped blade. I would hate for one of my good ones to lay out in the weather until it was found and taken by a stranger. Or to go through the digestive tract of some unappreciative carnavore.

One of my least favorite folding knives I suppose. A Mil-k with a tipped blade. I would hate for one of my good ones to lay out in the weather until it was found and taken by a stranger. Or to go through the digestive tract of some unappreciative carnavore.

Haha....Codger for the win.

And....

rip.gif

I've been watching this thread with a lot of interest, as I'm planning a long distance backpacking trip through Eastern Europe next year.
Let me first say that there's a lot of bears in Europe & they're big brown ones too. There's been quite a few attacks in recent years in the countries that I'm going through.
Now here's the problem. I can't carry a firearm & bear spray is illegal in most of the countries.
My solutions to this "little" problem will be a cold steel bushman mounted on a three foot stick so that I can carry it on my rucksack. I use trekking poles so I can't mount it on a staff. I've chosen this instead of a machete, as quite a few places don't like big knives over here & I can store the knife in my pack if needs be. It should also be useful against any stray dogs or rabid wolves that I might come across.(I hope!) I'll be carrying a five inch camp knife for daily chores/wood splitting etc, but I just wouldn't feel safe with this alone.
I've also been trying to find something to substitute Bear spray. I thought about making my own, but there's nothing suitable to spray it with, so I'll just have to carry some hand held smoke flares instead & hope for the best if I get charged! :eek:
I'll be using all of the best practices for eating & storing food & an alarm system at night, so I'm not too worried about night time encounters, but I am really worried about coming across moma bear & her offspring when they've just come out of hibernation.
Any ideas & suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

oh man i love these posts that come around every month or so. I'd get something capable of prying, like a cold steel tanto. So when the great white has you in its jaws, you can pry them open without damaging the tip.

jajaajajajaaaaa

I think some kind of stabbing rather than slashing tool if it absolutely comes down to it. Fur is thick and I think would resist most edges. Stabbing would be the way to do it.

Back