My first Pruner, and I like it!

tN1mKeI.jpg

4UFowKE.jpg

Here are three oldies-but-goodies:
20230602_221945.jpg
20230602_222011.jpg
Only one has a mark, and I can't attribute it to anyone:
20230602_222020.jpg
It's a pick-lock with "BN" coined into the blade. It has horn scales and virtually no wear:
20230602_222129.jpg
20230602_222134.jpg
The other folder has integral bolsters and liners and horn scales, but it looks much more recent than the other:
20230602_222220.jpg
Lastly, the fixed-blade:
20230602_222234.jpg
20230602_222252.jpg
The tang is crudely finished and tapered. Nineteenth century, blacksmith made? Thanks for watching! T-A

This is not a big pruning knife at what I presume is a pretty typical 4.5". But, this seemed like the most appropriate place to post these pictures and tell this story.

I was down at my neighbors house the other day chatting. He's probably 80-85 years old? My best friend out here without question. I brought up a story he had told me before, because I wanted to get pictures to post here. He said his friend worked at a knife factory in New York, but he couldn't remember the name. Back in the 60's or 70's (??) his buddy said, "We got some knives at the factory they are getting rid of. 25 cents a piece." My neighbor said, "Here's two bucks, get me 8 of them." 😂 He gave most of them away to family and friends but did keep at least one for himself. Unfortunately, he said he'd have to try to find the knife some other time for me to get a picture. Still looking forward to posting that picture if he ever does find it because it's such a cool and funny story 😝

But, proceeding with the rest of this story... since he knew I was into pocket knives and curious about the ones he had, he took me into his tool shed. He had a Camillus Electricians knife that had a broken blade and a Wolfertz & Co Hawkbill Pruner in a drawer. I was particularly interested in the pruner as I didn't own any of that pattern and had never heard of the company. He said, "Here, take it!" I couldn't believe it and refused, but of course he insisted.

Based on the "Wolfertz & Co. Allentown PA" tang stamp, it was manufactured sometime between 1905-1944. It had no snap at all when I got and really gritty action. But, it cleaned up surprisingly well!! It has a decent half stop still and pretty satisfying walk and talk. I cleaned it up with mineral oil, a rag, and some 0000 steel wool. Got all the red rust off it. Put some wax on the wood to give it a bit of shine and gave it a new edge. This knife has clearly seen its fair share of work. The backspring is jet black from patina and there's plenty of patina on the blade. The blade seems pretty full though!

Super excited to not only have this knife, but the story to go along with it. Long after my neighbor is gone from this world, I'll be able to remember him with this knife. I haven't seen him working outside since he gave it to me, but I can't wait to show him the new life and love I was able to put into this kind gift!!

Before:
DBEwjSb.jpg

After:
x8oahX8.jpg

FN1dFwI.jpg

9g8BUqV.jpg

Last edited:
This is not a big pruning knife at what I presume is a pretty typical 4.5". But, this seemed like the most appropriate place to post these pictures and tell this story.

I was down at my neighbors house the other day chatting. He's probably 80-85 years old? My best friend out here without question. I brought up a story he had told me before, because I wanted to get pictures to post here. He said his friend worked at a knife factory in New York, but he couldn't remember the name. Back in the 60's or 70's (??) his buddy said, "We got some knives at the factory they are getting rid of. 25 cents a piece." My neighbor said, "Here's two bucks, get me 8 of them." 😂 He gave most of them away to family and friends but did keep at least one for himself. Unfortunately, he said he'd have to try to find the knife some other time for me to get a picture. Still looking forward to posting that picture if he ever does find it because it's such a cool and funny story 😝

But, proceeding with the rest of this story... since he knew I was into pocket knives and curious about the ones he had, he took me into his tool shed. He had a Camillus Electricians knife that had a broken blade and a Wolfertz & Co Hawkbill Pruner in a drawer. I was particularly interested in the pruner as I didn't own any of that pattern and had never heard of the company. He said, "Here, take it!" I couldn't believe it and refused, but of course he insisted.

Based on the "Wolfertz & Co. Allentown PA" tang stamp, it was manufactured sometime between 1905-1944. It had no snap at all when I got and really gritty action. But, it cleaned up surprisingly well!! It has a decent half stop still and pretty satisfying walk and talk. I cleaned it up with mineral oil, a rag, and some 0000 steel wool. Got all the red rust off it. Put some wax on the wood to give it a bit of shine and gave it a new edge. This knife has clearly seen its fair share of work. The backspring is jet black from patina and there's plenty of patina on the blade. The blade seems pretty full though!

Super excited to not only have this knife, but the story to go along with it. Long after my neighbor is gone from this world, I'll be able to remember him with this knife. I haven't seen him working outside since he gave it to me, but I can't wait to show him the new life and love I was able to put into this kind gift!!

Before:
DBEwjSb.jpg

After:
x8oahX8.jpg

FN1dFwI.jpg

9g8BUqV.jpg
Wonderful story to be told and a treasure to keep. Thanks for passing on a piece of Americana.

Nice hefty Pruner, Humason & Beckley, founded 1852!! Sold to Landers, Frary & Clark in 1912!! Lots of patina but little use; just how we like 'em - with 'gator snap & stamped blade - nicely swedged!! Well preserved veteran, ready to continue working!!H n B 1.jpgH n B 2.jpgH n B 3.jpg

Jack my friend, Taylor Eye Witness is a Stamp that immediately grabs my attention - what a beauty!

Nice Wolfertz & Co. Allentown PA. Lithicus, Great to see those awesome Old Ebony beauties come out from obscurity and into the open where a Tang stamp / Cutler that is not often seen, a great story and a great Knife!
I love that Wood, pretty sure it would be Cocobolo? Ebony can have all sorts of beautiful character Colours too ! Lots to look at - Love it!

Charlie, that Humason & Beckley is just gorgeous, another rare Stamp / Cutler we never see, like you say the condition is awesome!

Mr. Hilborn my friend, that Pruner is stunning, that was a very good score matey.

Rufus1949, Stag only gets better doesn't it! I can't get enough of older Stag like this, and whenever I pick up an older Pruner / Hawkbill the very first thing I look for is to see if it is Integral Construction like those two old beauties you have, now please forgive me my friend as I am sure I will have the dates wrong, but I think that most Sheffield Cutlers stopped Integral construction in the later 1800's fir example 1870's or so- but again I don't know I just remember discussions about this subject in the past.

Back