purpose of Talon Hole

Sorry for my noob-ness, but my search phrase kung fu is apparently weak as I've tried fruitlessly to find a thread in this forum that explains this. Can someone give me info on the practical uses for the Talon Hole? thanks

It serves as a trade mark to easily identify a Busse Combat knife. It can be used to attach a D-Guard.

An anchor point for a lanyard loop for extra grip on the knife when chopping is a common use ... also one of many lashing points to attach the knife to a pole ... not so much to make a spear ( as throwing away your knife is never a good idea when you need it ) ... but very useful when needing to gather fruit or drop a Bee's Nest or forage for any other type of tree growing food ... it's handy for tinder too if you want to use pine cones or lichen ... especially when others have taken the easy to grab ones around camp sites ...

On the smaller blades you would choose for gralloching Deer I have cut and threaded the leg tendons through the talon hole and used the knife to then scrape them off the bone ... once done and dried ... do the same again to fray the tendon to get useful sized fibre strands for sewing ... deer leg tendon is tougher strength wise than any man made thread ... similar to dental floss or strong fishing line ...

You can use the same technique for splicing spruce roots in order to thin them down for lashing twine ... cut a top section and peel back and then run it through the talon hole and run that down the length of root ... same thing applies to Nettle stems for finer "fibres" ...

Loads of uses :thumbup:

Man, I'm such a noob when it comes to high-end blades and their use. My search kung fu did teach me what a D-Guard was, though. :D And thanks, Peter, for an excellent explanation of the other uses of the Talon Hole.

I hate nettles! They grow thicker than thick up at my woods. Sorry no help just had to throw that one out there.

Back