Queen's D2 is a real PITA to sharpen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent about 4 minues on the paper wheels and have my Queen d2 canoe razor sharp!

When I bought my Canoe, I saw the slimline trapper that John has, and almost bought it instead. It is on my radar screen now. I have to get creative for fundage, I can steal more of the kids lunch money. They are getting better at pan handling for meals.

PM me with your address, I'll send you a Queen with a proper edge. Once you get them properly thinned out, it only takes a minute or two to put an edge on them that will scare the @#$@# out of you. I don't know where that saying about D2 comes from, it's been my experience that it takes a fantastic edge, and holds it a very, very long time.

Then you can decide for yourself if it's worth the time to put into it. Check out the other D2 sharpening thread also.

sodak,
Wow,I must've skimmed past your post the first time.I very much appreciate the offer!:thumbup:That's very generous of you,but I'm gonna pass.THANK YOU!:)

No worries,I'm getting the hang of it.I used the 20 degree setting on the sharpmaker(diamond,medium,fine).It took a long time,but I got it sharp enough to where I'm happy with it.
I think the next time I order a Queen,I'm gonna ask them to open the box & make sure it has a decent edge on it.;)

Thanks again to everyone!:thumbup:

I've had pretty good luck on my Queen D2 knives. They will need sharpening out of the box, but at no more than RC 57 the D2 seems easy to me compared to some. Of course they all fall to my DMT's.

I currently have around 8 D2 Queens. I really like the discontinued Cocobolo ones, but the Maple is pretty nice too.

Some seem to have higher build quality than others IMO. The "mountain man" folders I have seem to be consistantly higher fit and finish than some of the others, like the 5.25 inch 1 and 2 blade "folding hunters". Even higher levels of blade polish, and out of the box sharpness.They are polished enough to see the "orange peel" D2 is notorious for, while the larger hunters aren't. Still, the Folding hunters may not be as shiny, but they are stout, and cut just as well.

I've gotten great results using these 3 Lansky stones in order, lubricated with water (not oil):

Medium diamond stone (orange holder)
Fine hone (blue holder with purple stone)
Ultra-fine hone (yellow holder with white ceramic stone)
Very light stropping on leather to finish.

The medium diamond hone is plenty fast in removing metal. I've never felt the need to use a coarse or extra-course diamond hone. I just finished sharpening a Queen Country Cousin Sod Buster (in D2) last night, and the medium diamond grit made quick work of it. I WAS ABLE TO PRODUCE A BURR on the edge, which was then removed using the fine & ultra-fine hones. Lubricating with water makes cleaning up the stones much easier, with a green Scotch-Brite type pad and some Comet cleanser.

I used a DMT x-coarse to set the burr on both sides. Yes, I felt it with no problem. Then moved on to the coarse. Could still make out the burr. On fine and extra fine, I couldn't feel it, but I did each side long enough to know that I had done enough. Then, I wrapped 2000 grit wet/dry around the extra fine and finally, I flipped that same wet/dry over to use the back as a strop. I used the Aligner the entire time and the results are amazing.

:eek:Whoa!!I just loaded up my strop with some "gold" compound & spent about 3min on it.It is hair-popping sharp now!!:thumbup::D

I think all that time spent on the stones was a waste.

crappy attempted close-up pic :eek:

DSCI0623.jpg

Once you get D2 right, it will be fairly easy to maintain. I've a Queen #11 slimline trapper that I've carried on and off for five years, and it hasn't seen anything but a sheet of 2000-grit paper or a strop in that time.

Hi,

I just got done re-profiling a Queen Whittler. I did a re-profile and thinned the edges out to about 30 included. I used a small coarse aluminum oxide stone, a medium Arkansas, a fine ceramic, and a plain piece of leather. I was amazed at how well the D2 responded to the fine ceramic and even to the plain leather.

What took hours of work with the aluminum oxide and Arkansas stones to achieve an edge that would slice paper, (about 5 hours total), took mere moments to attain hair-shaving sharp on the ceramic to hair poppin' sharp on the plain leather.

dalee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back