Question about type of wood used in this Schrade Limited Edition "Collectors Knife"

I acquired this some time ago. It seems very clearly stainless steel. But, I was curious what kind of wood was used. I was unable to find any real information about this "Collector Knife".
I believe I read somewhere that the LB7's used rosewood. And so, I thought this might be the same? Any information about this knife would be much appreciated!!

oRBma7J.jpg

Crs4Wim.jpg

L1yIRQb.jpg

Thanks!

Schrade made a number of yearly commemorative knives for them so there are quite a few others to be found as well.

Most of Schrade's wood-handled knives during this period were made of stabilized wood. They called it WondaWood or Fibron (depending who was making it for them and when). This includes the LB7. This is a type of plywood where thin layers are laminated together using a strong resin. Such laminates are more resistant to warping and cracking.

That said, I don't know the details regarding your particular knife. They also used Goncalo Alvez, Ebony and Walnut etc. Does it look like uniform layers that have been laminated together?

Cool knife.

Oh very interesting!! I have no idea where I came up with the rosewood thing for my LB7...
I think you may be right about the knife pictured above being stabilized (ply)wood.

Here are some pictures of the thin layers I believe you are talking about. They exist both on this fish and boat knife as well as my 4pin LB7.
h6mZcJY.jpg

mW0EbX8.jpg

Thank you so very much for the information! Very detailed response and always appreciate learning something new!

Oh very interesting!! I have no idea where I came up with the rosewood thing for my LB7...
I think you may be right about the knife pictured above being stabilized (ply)wood.

Here are some pictures of the thin layers I believe you are talking about. They exist both on this fish and boat knife as well as my 4pin LB7.

Thank you so very much for the information! Very detailed response and always appreciate learning something new!

Glad to help. I tossed a grid on top of your new pics and I still can't tell if that's grain or layers I'm seeing. You are likely the best judge of that. Cheers!

Hahaha yea it was hard to get good pictures. I do think they are layers though. It's almost too straight to be real wood grain and it doesn't really align with the rest of the grain on the handles. Very good to know the varieties of wood Schrade did use though, such as walnut and ebony! Really appreciate your response and in depth knowledge on the subject matter!!

Back