Question concerning lock bar

I noticed that the lock bar (Tri Ad) on some of my CS folders sinks deeper into the handle (when the blade is open and the lock is engaged) than on some of my other CS folders. This has nothing to do with a certain model because I have three Recon 1s on which the lock bar sinks in differently and on my 2 Broken Skull folders it's different too. This can't come from wear and tear because some of the knives haven't seen much use. I just received the SR1 (really nice knife) and noticed that the lock bar on my model sinks in so that you can feel the jimping and see the jimping on the inner side of the scales protrude beyond the lock bar. The more you get towards the blade the more you can see the jimping protrude/the deeper the lock bar sinks in (which should be normal because the lock bar is like a seesaw). Like I said I noticed that on some of my other Tri Ad lock knives too but I guess it started "bothering" me only now because I have waited that long for that knife. Has anybody else noticed that the lock bar on some knives sinks in deeper when the lock is engaged than on others? Is this just cosmetically or does it affect the knife?

Last edited:
tolerances most likely.

no i never noticed on my many tri-ads. i only check for blade play and function. gonna play with some of them tonight and see if i see what you are talking about.

Great. I wonder if you will see what I mean. I'm a real nitpicker and often notice things on my knives that other just don't see or don't pay attention to :-D

Last edited:
Great. I wonder if you will see what I mean. I'm a real nitpicker and often notice things on my knives that other just don't see or don't pay attention to :-D

i gotcha.

i get home around 7 or 8 pm est. ill look at my tri-ads with a keen eye and report back tonight...maybe tomorrow if the wife nags me to do something.:)

Yes it's something I've noticed before. I agree that it's a tolerances issue. If the rear of the lockbar by the button is sticking up above the frame then that bothers me. So I'd say that I prefer that they not engage too deeply. That would also allow for more wear without bladeplay developing.

yep. some sit a bit higher open some a bit lower. same with being closed. very tiny amounts almost undetectable visually. didnt try measuring differences. pretty sure its factory tolerances from my dozen or so tri-ad visual check.

Yep it's just the lock bar tooth sitting slightly deeper in the tang cutout than others. Similar in a way to how not all frame locks will lock up at the exact same spot, there are always small tolerance differences, it's only cosmetic. Out of 3 Sebenzas i've handled, all 3 had different lockup, so these differences are present on all knives, regardless of price. As long as when the knife is disassembled (one scale removed) you can see the lockbar hasn't bottomed out in the tang cutout, you'll never have an issue, it'll seat in and function as normal.

Thank you very much for your replies. Good to know I'm not the only one who noticed it...but maybe I was the only one nitpicky enough to be anxious about it :-D

So, while examining my folders I found something interesting. On two of my folders there is a light "click" when opening the knife and you can feel a tiny shock in the handle. This happens at the beginning of the opening process, before this click it runs smooth and after the click it runs smooth again. To me It feels like there is some small bump on the lock bar or the blade tang that causes this noise and shock when the tang rubs against the lock bar while opening the knife. When I took the clicking knife apart and replaced the lockbar with one of a non clicking knife the clicking was gone...so I think it has something to do with the lock bar...maybe I should sand it a little bit to smooth it out .

Last edited:
So, while examining my folders I found something interesting. On two of my folders there is a light "click" when opening the knife and you can feel a tiny shock in the handle. This happens at the beginning of the opening process, before this click it runs smooth and after the click it runs smooth again. To me It feels like there is some small bump on the lock bar or the blade tang that causes this noise and shock when the tang rubs against the lock bar while opening the knife. When I took the clicking knife apart and replaced the lockbar with one of a non clicking knife the clicking was gone...so I think it has something to do with the lock bar...maybe I should sand it a little bit to smooth it out .
Did anybody else notice this clicking on his folders?

Is it a detent of some sort?
I don't think so cause it's only on some knives...I have 4 recon 1 models and the clicking happens only on one...and when I changed the lockbar it was gone. Plus it happens at the beginning of the opening process but not at the very beginning...you begin to open the blade, it runs smooth for a moment then it clicks and you feel a little shock in the handle and after that it runs smooth again till its open

Last edited:
I've noticed that "click" on my 4" Talwar. I think there's probably a small artifact left over from the manufacturing process on the underside of the tang that didn't get polished off. From this pic (not my pic) you can see how the lock bar in a Tri-Ad knife rests against the underside of the tang while closed. It feels like there's a small protrusion (or groove) left over on the part of the tang that's just below the stop pin, so when you are first opening the blade, it feels smooth, then you hit that part of the tang and feel the click, then you hit the polished curved part of the tang and it goes away. That's my theory, anyway. :thumbsup:

iu

edit to add: I only notice this if I open the knife slowly. When I flick it open I don't notice it.

i only notice a click on some of mine when i unlock it or as it locks. not during the process?

I've noticed that "click" on my 4" Talwar. I think there's probably a small artifact left over from the manufacturing process on the underside of the tang that didn't get polished off. From this pic (not my pic) you can see how the lock bar in a Tri-Ad knife rests against the underside of the tang while closed. It feels like there's a small protrusion (or groove) left over on the part of the tang that's just below the stop pin, so when you are first opening the blade, it feels smooth, then you hit that part of the tang and feel the click, then you hit the polished curved part of the tang and it goes away. That's my theory, anyway. :thumbsup:

iu

edit to add: I only notice this if I open the knife slowly. When I flick it open I don't notice it.

Sounds like a good explanation and makes more sense than my lock bar theory because the lock bar is kind of stationary and a bump on the lockbar would constantly rub against the tang and not just make a single click...then again the clicking was gone after I changed the lockbar....strange.

I wonder if there is an artifact/bump on the tang which the lock bar has to overcome everytime you open the knive...would this increase wear and tear?

Back