Question for anyone who preordered the Ritter/Becker

Did you get any kind of confirmation email from Knifeworks? The money came out of my credit card on Dec. 6, but I didn't get any confirmation from them. Sent an email with no response too. I just want to make sure I get it when they ship.

Did you get any kind of confirmation email from Knifeworks? The money came out of my credit card on Dec. 6, but I didn't get any confirmation from them. Sent an email with no response too. I just want to make sure I get it when they ship.

er, that's not quite legal, OR right is it? even on a pre-order? ie: the credit card companies FROWN deeply on charging for non shipped items.

i'd like to start seeing weekly status now on ship date.

ETA:

according to the page, the knife has slipped to LATE January... only the crickets know why...

2 months, already paid? mmm

Last edited:

call you credit card company and do a back charge so you get your money back.

Roger's note to me....

When you place a order by credit card, your card is authorized and the money may be held from your account, this is only a authorization so when the order comes through we will not charge it, The authorization will fall off and the money should go back in to your account. When we get these is we will go back and charge your account. Hope this makes sense.

thanks for the nudge -- when I ordered mine, according to knifeworks these were supposed to ship by the end of December -- this is now changed on the website to ship by the end of January. :(

Roger is rather busy right now, there's this holiday coming, so let's see if I can shed some light on this:

1. Yes, the delivery date has moved to January. Best laid plans and all that... There were production issues. S*** happens. Nobody is less happy than I am. :( We even built in extra time and it wasn't enough. Very sorry, but out of our control. If you want to cancel your order, no problem, see below

2. WRT the charges to your Credit Card. Your card was NOT charged. The way the system works, like it or not and we don't, when the pre-order is processed the credit card account is "authorized" for the sale, which assures there is money in the account, BUT since KnifeWorks does not "charge" the card when they review the orders, the sale does NOT go through at that time. Eventually, the bank's system recognizes this and drops the "hold" on that money and puts it back into your bank balance. That can happen in as few as 2-3 days or can take a couple weeks, just depends on the bank. That is entirely up to the bank. Nothing Roger has any control over.

Note that with PayPal it is different. Once the sale is processed the money is transferred, end of story. That's just how PayPal works. Yet another reason not to use PayPal, IMHO.

So, bottom line, if you paid by credit card, your card was authorized, it was not charged, and the money will end up back with you sooner or later. Once the knives arrive the card will be charged. For PayPal, if you are unhappy with the money being in his hands, Roger will be happy to refund your money.

Given Roger's e-commerce system, that's all he can do. Nobody is out to cheat anyone or take advantage of anyone. Our goal is happy customers.

Personally, I think you can be assured that if it is up to me there will NEVER be another pre-order on an RSK knife again. :(

Hope this answers the questions.

Yeah I thought it would put a hold On the amount, but the actual charge went through. My main concern though is I didn't get an order number or anything.

Yeah I thought it would put a hold On the amount, but the actual charge went through. My main concern though is I didn't get an order number or anything.

Please PM me with enough information for me to have Roger look into your issue and get back to you.

At the end of my order, I printed an order summary, that states the details of the order.
I just went to KW site, logged in, checked account order history, and the record of the order exists there, by number. Hope this helps.

that's... unclear.

I thought it was a bit unclear too, but I figured he meant it was about like giving a hotel a card. They keep your number with a hold on the amount, but don't actually make the charge until you check out. Does that analogy sound about right?

ETA: Nevermind, I see Critter's note above. That's a much better explanation.

I also pre-ordered a HEST folder there, and it was different. I didn't even have to put in payment info, and they're going to contact me for the money when the knives arrive.

Looks like I unintentionally made a mess here, and it is my fault. I went back through the order page and I must have used the paypal option which would explain why the full amount was paid already. Not a problem at all. I was just concerned because I didn't get an order confirmation. But with the holidays, delays are to be expected.

Mr. Ritter, I in no way think of you or Knifeworks as cheats. The total opposite actually. I own or have owned just about every knife design you have and I think they are awesome. I've been eagerly waiting for this Becker collaboration ever since you posted the first prototype many years ago. And I am still very excited for it, no matter what the release date is! Thanks for your input, and sorry for any undue confusion.

Doug,
thanks for the update - unfortunately for me, I used PP. :(
production issues I can understand, especially when components are coming from out of country.

Looks like I unintentionally made a mess here, and it is my fault. I went back through the order page and I must have used the paypal option which would explain why the full amount was paid already. Not a problem at all. I was just concerned because I didn't get an order confirmation. But with the holidays, delays are to be expected.

Mr. Ritter, I in no way think of you or Knifeworks as cheats. The total opposite actually. I own or have owned just about every knife design you have and I think they are awesome. I've been eagerly waiting for this Becker collaboration ever since you posted the first prototype many years ago. And I am still very excited for it, no matter what the release date is! Thanks for your input, and sorry for any undue confusion.

OK, thanks for the update. Just trying to keep everyone happy. :thumbup:

OK, thanks for the update. Just trying to keep everyone happy. :thumbup:

WEEEEELLLLLLLL, in that case, I'll email you my address, and you can mail me something that looks an aweful lot like the Ritter/Becker Collab knife, and that will make me happy.

If I knew that's all I had to do, I would have done this 2 weeks ago. Man, all you guys preordering and buying, he says he wants to make us all happy, and there you go.:p:D

Thanks, we all appreciate the info.

Moose

when I sell knifes on the net they are sitting on my shelf. I will not sell something then have to get it for shipping later and I have never had this problem.

This just in: The kind folks at Knifeworks got me a confirmation number and eased my feeble mind :eek: So all is well on my end. I am happy that I didn't miss out on this run and will contentedly wait now :D

This just in: The kind folks at Knifeworks got me a confirmation number and eased my feeble mind :eek: So all is well on my end. I am happy that I didn't miss out on this run and will contentedly wait now :D

i too used paypal. so, it's paid in full, and my paypal receipt is good enough for payment rendered/etc.

on the flip side, if it was known the last couple days that the knife had slipped, to get an announcement about it, not just find out in the one place it's mentioned on the knifeworks site by chance. waiting is often tolerable when you have a known period to wait.

it will make me very happy to get the knife finally. perhaps a nice lagniappe thrown in would be nice for the extra month ;)

I jumped on the Paypal Bandwagon too twice. I'm OK with the wait as long as it doesn't turn into August. My problem is I'm moving today and will need to change my Address with them.

I think this knife is worth waiting for. So much so, I pre-ordered two. I agree with Critter the pre-order thing is a double edged sword. (Pun intended). Folks want to get on the bandwagon. Companies want to sell knives. But things happen. And the excitement turns to anxiety, and that turns to frustration on both sides of the fence.

The fact that the Owner/designer is already on here putting his reputation on the line that the knife will be delivered is enough for me. Let's all give these guys a chance to come through and do it right. Let's also not forget Ethan's name is on it as well. Two men who are both very reputable and prone to spectacular customer service. Not to mention Rowen.

Back