Question for Cliff Stamp re: Ed Fowler's knives...

Status
Not open for further replies.
CM Arrington,

If you feel the need to directly challenge me further about my purchases, for some reason, please send me a private Email.

I owned around 120 hand mades at one point several years ago (not counting production knives)... it's probably 1/2 that now. More than some, less than others.

How about you, CM?

Also, I own a safe. It's heavy.

Originally posted by c.m. arrington
Hey guy, just asking. Lighten up a little, it's just an internet forum. How heavy is the safe? :D
You and your mother-in-law could probably lift it... if she can drive a fork lift. :D

This thread has been quite a ride. Thanks, Mongo.

I'd also like to thank each of the principal players for doing his job so well, especially Ed and Cliff. I think each has offered his best here.

And special thanks to Gabe Newell for his knife. Gabe, if no reimbursement is forthcoming from any other source, as I’ve told you privately, I’m hoping you’ll allow those of us who have gained from this thread to contribute to a knife fund “re-Newell” on your behalf.

I gather that some are disappointed with the outcome of Cliff's testing, but I felt thoroughly enlightened by the process that unfolded here.

The result for me personally has been the acquisition of an Ed Fowler Pronghorn.

Thanks again to all,

Will

It's been quite a ride. I feel a little dirty for starting it now, I assure you all, my intentions were honorable.

Sorry you feel that way. I think the passion reflected in the responses to this thread, on both sides, only shows how serious each participant is about his blades. This kind of exchange should be encouraged, and certainly not discouraged, IMO.

Just to clarify my previous statement, I never intended for this to become perhaps the longest thread in the knife reviews forum. There was certainly a bit of ruffled feathers along the way, but we did get some spirited discussion though!;) Just for the record, I am a fan of Mr. Fowler and hope to one day be fortunate enough to own a creation of his.

Will,

Good points. As far as taking up a collection I would like to know if Gabe gave consent for his knives to be tested to destruction. I know that in this thread he requested his pronghorn be returned in a similar condition. Since his Clark knife was also destroyed, I assumed that at some later point he gave his consent for destructive tests. If that wasn't the case, then I agree, he should somehow be reimbursed.

-Jose

Dear Mr. Stamp:

When you review knives will you please use scientific terms correctly?

The bending test you describe does not seem to apply to ‘lateral stiffness’. (Lateral stiffness: The resistance of a vehicle body structure to lateral impact.)

I am somewhat surprised that someone with your academic and scientific credentials does not routinely cite the source such as ASTM, ASM, ASE or similar.

If you can cite a definition from an approved source I should very much appreciate seeing it.

Sincerely,
Tom Walz

Mr. Waltz:

It's a good idea to use terms precisely and with that in mind I took a look at your website. I was impressed to read on your "white sheet" that the alloys you market are less "corrosive". Just how "corrosive" are they? Also interested to read further that they may affect "electronic" fields. Did you mean "electromagnetic" fields?

Originally posted by tomwalz
When you review knives will you please use scientific terms correctly?

The bending test you describe does not seem to apply to ‘lateral stiffness’. (Lateral stiffness: The resistance of a vehicle body structure to lateral impact.)

I am somewhat surprised that someone with your academic and scientific credentials does not routinely cite the source such as ASTM, ASM, ASE or similar.

If you can cite a definition from an approved source I should very much appreciate seeing it.
It's not clear what your agenda is here. I believe you are the Tom Walz that is employed by, or has a business interest in Talonite (which is fine), www.carbideprocessors.com

Tom, do you have some axe to grind about Cliff's prior testing of Talonite and Stellite knives? If that is the source of agenda, a direct approach to your issues might carry more gravis.

You seem to be trying to find something, anything, about which you can throw a short jab at Cliff. Whatever your agenda, it is looking kinda late, and kinda pale.

I'm not sure I've seen ANY maker, custom or production, cite ASTM, ASM, ASE... not while testing blades. But there is plenty I’ve not read. Maybe there are some appropriate standards to cite around heat treating, but again, not normally the fodder of these forums.

I've not even seen makers cite the ISO 8442.5:2003 standard, a standard to which the CATRA machine apparently tests blade edge holding capabilities. Not even Sal Glesser, one of the handfull of production house owners who owns a CATRA. I didn’t even know ISO 8442.5:2003 applied to the CATRA machine until the earlier post by Rick Baum (I don’t think Rick is a scientist… he’s a knifemaker, forges knives) caused me to dig a little bit. His post shows on page 6 of 8 of this thread (6 of 8, the way my profile is set up).

My point is that these forums are not a materials testing laboratory type environment. BF is populated by knife enthusiasts, some of which are production or custom makers. You are asking for a pretty high standard that is, apparently, not suitable for these forums (would only be received well by a few engineering or materials science or very curious types), or if it is, only in passing and in some direct circumstance.

Having said that, I'll emphasize that I personally would love to see more strict, controlled, disciplined test results posted on these forums. It would be great if a maker would post something along these lines:

• * “here is the exact heat treat I used on steel XYZ, with this equipment, and here is a graph showing 10 different Rockwell hardnesses vs. Transverse Charpy-C notch testing I did on 40 heat treated samples, 4 per hardness”... or
    * “I sent 60 blade mules out, 5 different hardnesses, 4 different final edge angles, and 3 different grinds, hollow, flat, convex, and here are the CATRA results I obtained from XYZ testing company.”
    * "I tested the Yield Strength, and Ultimate Yield Strength (rupture) of this specific blade profile in this specific manner, and did so in 3 ways:
    1. full blade hardness (4 hardnesses tested, Rc56, 58, 60, 62)
    2. hard edge + spring range spine (spine @ 3 points, Rc48, 51, 54)
    3. hard edge + dead soft/annealed spine...
    ... and I found the following..."
That'd be some reeeeal good quote! ;)

But I'm not holding my breath either. See me exhale => :barf:

Charpy testing only seems to be done by the steel producers (and of course by materials labs, etc, who own the machine), and CATRA by those that have ante’d up for this ($50k? $100k?) machine. (I believe it was Sal Glesser who indicated recently that he’d purchased a Charpy machine, but hadn’t set it up and done testing quite yet.)

Bluntly: if you can do a better job of testing and reporting your findings on any knife, please do so, and post your results here for others to review.
Goose <==> Gander, and so forth.

In your post, you landed on something from which to throw a jab, that being "lateral stiffness". And then you cite a definition... "The resistance of a vehicle body structure to lateral impact" ... that appears to have come from an automotive industry testing context maybe? Auto chassis stiffness to side impacts maybe? :confused:

And here is what is listed in your BF profile:

• * Interests: materials and their applications
Now I’m not a materials engineer (full disclosure: I’m an electrical engineer (BSEE), and practice instrumentation and control systems engineering). Having disclosed as much, I think if you want to chase your point in a more focused direction, you might start from the materials sciences rather than from what was, best I can surmise, an automotive chassis structural testing/integrity standpoint...

Lateral stiffness may have strict definitions in some focused scientific niche, but the phrase seems to be a more generic one than, say, any of these that apply to the materials sciences:
yield strength
tensile strength
ultimate tensile strength
bending strength
elastic region
elastic limit
tensile region
tensile modulus/Young's modulus
stress
strain
rupture point
proportional limit

Here are some definitions to get this headed in a more germane direction should you wish to further your point on Cliff’s testing:

Generic definitions:

Lateral:
lat•er•al ( P ) adj. Of, relating to, or situated at or on the side.

Stiffness: [n] the physical property of being inflexible and hard to bend

More scientific definitions:

Lateral strength (Mech.), strength which resists a tendency to fracture arising from lateral pressure.

Lateral pressure or stress (Mech.), a pressure or stress at right angles to the length, as of a beam or bridge; -- distinguished from longitudinal pressure or stress.

The bending strength is the resistivity of a test piece in the
state of loading on bending at the moment of the rupture.

Originally posted by tallwingedgoat
Can anyone give me a short summary of what happened?
Short summary... uh ... well... me writing, and short. Hmmm.

Mongo asks Cliff a seemingly innocent (?) question.
Gabe Newell volunteers his Ed Fowler knife for Cliff to test.
Cliff Tests.
Many are surprised at results.
Knife apparently was made more than a couple years ago.
Many come to Ed's defense.
Ed responds.
Then, other stuff is posted.

Rob, you are correct, of course and put it very well. You actually explained it much better than I did. Thank you

Re: Cliff Stamp Either I truly do believe in the right of everyone to have their opinion or I don’t. My reply was certainly petty and I apologize to cliff Stamp.

Daryl, there are maybe 200,000 words on the web site. And, as hard as we try, there are mistakes, many of them mine. I do appreciate your pointing them out.

You each went to some trouble to tell me things you thought I should know and you did it in a very courteous manner. I thank you for that. I would like to show my appreciation by sending you each a Rob Simonich neck knife in Talonite. (Please email your address to president@carbideprocessors.com) They are being sold on Blade Art if you want to see them. http://www.bladeart.com/artists/rob_simonich/rob_simonich.htm “Blade Art” “Bitter Root” BladeArt# 03608 s

Dear Forum members, in apology to you I would like to run a contest with a free knife as a prize. It is a Tom Mayo TNT. It will go up as soon as I can buy the advertising here.

Tom Walz

John Wayne’s advice from his father; "I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally

I was surpeised to see this knife sharpened at 22 degrees (44 degrees total?). What is the normal angle for sharpening a convex blade, all be it not normal to sharpen microbevels on it, but still what would be the expected equivalent. Don't see this as a sufficient issue to explain the performance level by any means, just wondering.

Many convex knives have slight v-flat bevels on the primary grind, Fallkniven does this for example, Fowler illustrates the same in his sharpening video. Which angle to use depends on who you ask, 20 is a stock answer which is really common, most of the higher performance knives tend to be more acute and tend towards 15 unless they are extreme use tacticals. Bark River runs full convex grinds and the edges are ~10 degrees per side.

-Cliff

Just re-read this thread with wonder and amazement, it's been a long time since I first saw it.

Any participants with Ed's knives have any observations 18 years later?

Did Gabe ever respond back to any of this? I am curious what he felt about the testing, performance, and what he ultimately did with the knife.

WOW.... talk about a surprise to me. Found this is a bit of bored surfing. An interesting thread for sure. And, no... sadly, I still do not have an Ed Fowler knife. Wish I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back