Question for me, ask away.

Hey Allen. Just curious if there's any cherry bomb left and if not, will it ever be available again? Thanks.

What do you consider your signature knife?

A year ago, when I first started loitering around your site, I would have thought the Bush Adder. Given that it looks like you have not made one in all of 2016, I am not so sure. Do you have plans of making any more?

What do you consider your signature knife?

A year ago, when I first started loitering around your site, I would have thought the Bush Adder. Given that it looks like you have not made one in all of 2016, I am not so sure. Do you have plans of making any more?

That is a good question. Honestly, I am not sure what would be considered my signature model. The bush adder I do consider as my first model that actually propelled me into making true good designs. The BA will always be a special model for me. I have made a few over the past year and plan on sprinkling them in the mix from time to time. I am very happy with all of my models since the BA, but I don't feel that I have found my signature style or model yet. Although I know I will aleays ned to make changes here and there, new discoveries, market change, and such. The new frontier inspired blades as of recent is a nice direction, will it be the primary focus, I don't know. I love so many types and styles, minus the "tactical" blades.

After further thought, maybe the closest to a signature knife would be the "quartermaster ". I feel it is a fine mesh of what I learned at the Loveless shop and my base style feom learning with Andy.

Hope some of this helps and is not just me rambling on.

I am loving the new "frontier" series! To see a Rustamuk w/copper, some wrap, and some bone would be killer... So close to picking up that Jackly with Oosik but for my uses I'd prefer it to be .5" shorter. Allen you are killin' it lately bud!

Last edited:
Allen,

First, please understand I am in no way making any sort of judgement call regardless of the answer, I am just curious. Sometimes "tone" can be misconstrued via the web and I want to make sure it is not in this case.

I just wanted to know whether you make 100% of your own knives or if you have others working on parts of them the way Andy does? Handle prep, polishing, etc.? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. If so, I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
Jim

Allen,

First, please understand I am in no way making any sort of judgement call regardless of the answer, I am just curious. Sometimes "tone" can be misconstrued via the web and I want to make sure it is not in this case.

I just wanted to know whether you make 100% of your own knives or if you have others working on parts of them the way Andy does? Handle prep, polishing, etc.? Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. If so, I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
Jim

Hey Jim,
Good question. Honestly, all depends on the knife. If there is a metal guard or bolsters, it is all me. If it is a standard model, i.e., huntsman, inlandar, bison, etc., there is a good chance that one of the guys at the shop did the hand sanding portion. For the most part, the knife is completed by me. I still sand some of the standard models. So even the one ones I don't completely do myself, 90-95% is still completed by me. Hand sanding kills my hands. I will need surgery in the nex couple of years on both hands. There have been days after sanding only four or five knives, that i wasn't even able to pick up a baseball or softball that afternoon. Make sense?

Hey Jim,
Good question. Honestly, all depends on the knife. If there is a metal guard or bolsters, it is all me. If it is a standard model, i.e., huntsman, inlandar, bison, etc., there is a good chance that one of the guys at the shop did the hand sanding portion. For the most part, the knife is completed by me. I still sand some of the standard models. So even the one ones I don't completely do myself, 90-95% is still completed by me. Hand sanding kills my hands. I will need surgery in the nex couple of years on both hands. There have been days after sanding only four or five knives, that i wasn't even able to pick up a baseball or softball that afternoon. Make sense?

Thanks for the answer. Sorry to hear about your hands. "If" you have the means then delegating certain time consuming, but lower skilled tasks (or painful in your case) makes perfect sense. When you start to work in a kitchen you typically "get" to peel potatoes. It leaves the chef time to do the creative work and the more tricky stuff and takes nothing away from the final product.

(and no I am not a chef but I did peel a few potatoes in my time when I was young) ;)

Take care,
Jim

I can't express how thankful and lucky I am that Phil, Kyle, and Cody are willing to sand for me when needed. I started off sanding fiddlebacks when Andy hired me. There is definitely no glory in the labor, but the finish is amazing. They give such attention to detail and also allow another set of eyes to be laid on my knives before being offered for sale. I am also grateful that Andy supports this all the while I am still a full time employee for Fiddleback. There are very few companies out there that would allow this type of "double dipping " and support for both brands. Sanding is definitely not the potato peeling, more like placing the food i prepared on the plate for presentation before i add the garnishment. Or something like that. I am horrible at making analogies.

will we ever see a 3/32" Patriot in Blackwood over lime and natural?

Sanding is definitely not the potato peeling, more like placing the food i prepared on the plate for presentation before i add the garnishment. Or something like that. I am horrible at making analogies.

No, your analogy is better than mine. I was certainly not trying to denigrate the sanding job. I do think that passing around time consuming tasks keeps things fresher for everyone. My eyes tend to start blurring if I do the same thing for too long.

It also sounds like a unique working environment and, just judging by the end results, it obviously works. Looking forward to getting my new package at the end of the this week. :)

All the best,
Jim

Back