QUESTION ON BLACK FINISH

Has anyone tried stripping the black coating from a Magnum Tanto and polishing the metal work? Wondering what the guard and pommel are made of, with the black it could be cheaper steel than the past and not clean up as nice. Got enough black ones now and would love a newer steeled one bright and shiny.

No need to strip the finish off a 3V blade when you have these available.
San Mai Knives
Seven Cold Steel fixed blades will now be available in their San Mai laminated steel configuration. These knives feature a hard cutting core of VG-10 clad in a protective outer sleeve of softer steel. Five are tanto blades – the Master, Recon, and Magnums II, IX, and XII. They appear alongside the Tai Pan and clip point SRK in the new for 2018 San Mai fleet. According to Thompson Cold Steel is moving all San Mai production except for the Trail Master Bowie from Japan to Taiwan due to industry changes. “The rest of our San Mai products will feature the same quality Japanese steel but will be made in Taiwan now, creating savings that I am pleased to pass on to my customers,” he says.

http://knifenews.com/new-cold-steel-2018-knives/

Has anyone tried stripping the black coating from a Magnum Tanto and polishing the metal work? Wondering what the guard and pommel are made of, with the black it could be cheaper steel than the past and not clean up as nice. Got enough black ones now and would love a newer steeled one bright and shiny.
It's his knife and he's free to do with it what he wants. I was simply offering an alternative that he may or may not have been aware of.

Back