Questions for the Kydex Benders - Molding Pancake Sheaths

I've been playing with leather for about three years now, and I'm just now getting around to tinkering with kydex. I've made three fold-over type sheaths for some Moras, but I'm interested in making a pancake style sheath. My questions pertain to the technique that's used while molding a two-piece pancake type sheath.

Is it common to cut two pieces of kydex to shape and juggle them and the knife around while trying to keep everything lined up in the press quickly enough to get a decent press on it?

Or is it better to cut one single piece and mold everything like a fold-over sheath while keeping the folded side away from the spine and then removing the fold during shaping thus producing a pancake? This way would seem to be more wasteful of material, but I'm betting it's less wasteful than cutting two pieces I can't get lined up right!

Not looking for any big trade secrets or anything. I don't make holsters & sheaths as a business - just as a sick, twisted addiction. :D

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here's my big collection of kydex so far...

morakydex01a.jpg

Last edited:
Or is it better to cut one single piece and mold everything like a fold-over sheath while keeping the folded side away from the spine and then removing the fold during shaping thus producing a pancake?

Sometimes I do it this way, others I use two pieces. Using two pieces is easier for me. Just lay one piece, then the knife, then the other piece, and press.

Sometimes I do it this way, others I use two pieces. Using two pieces is easier for me. Just lay one piece, then the knife, then the other piece, and press.

Thanks for the quick response. I went back out with a little more patience, determination, and some tweaks to my press materials and had better luck with two pieces the second time around.

same here, just like makin a knife sandwich :D it's not crucial to get them exactly lined up because that can be taken care of with the trimming.

Back