quick question about my Ka-Bar

woody d

BANNED
ive been trying to find another 1272 and cant seem to locate one anywhere. i will be the first to admit i dont know alot about the different ka-bar models, so im curious...is this a knife that was discontinued making it somewhat rare? im a sucker for big fixed blades and love the design, so id really like to pick up a second one.

thank you much
woody

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yes, it was discontinued in the late 90's I think. Tooj will be able to tell more about that.

They are a rare bird and hard to come by these days. Last one BNIB I saw sold, went for like $250.

Good knife, 440A stainless, and who doesn't love that fighter pattern. Your best bet would be this, one

1271_h_lg.png

The only difference is the double guard, and pommel. But it will work the same, is currently produced, Model 1271.

Moose

thanks for the info Moose, it has a '98 ka-bar catalog in the box, so i was assuming it was a late 90s manufactured knife. if you had it, would you use it, or just put it up?
i really wanted to take it to deer camp in december...the guys i hunt with tend to bring a conversation piece to show off. a couple of them are Vietnam vets and we even have a WWII vet who doesnt hunt but is our camp cook and they all love Ka-Bar knives. i figured this big one would really draw some attention and would get passed around the poker table. im usually the guy who brings the most outrageous knife (last year it was a BK9 which was a huge hit with the guys) and i know theyre gonna expect me to top that one this year. lol theres no denying it, this knife is a real beast.

thanks for the info Moose, it has a '98 ka-bar catalog in the box, so i was assuming it was a late 90s manufactured knife. if you had it, would you use it, or just put it up?
i really wanted to take it to deer camp in december...the guys i hunt with tend to bring a conversation piece to show off. a couple of them are Vietnam vets and we even have a WWII vet who doesnt hunt but is our camp cook and they all love Ka-Bar knives. i figured this big one would really draw some attention and would get passed around the poker table. im usually the guy who brings the most outrageous knife (last year it was a BK9 which was a huge hit with the guys) and i know theyre gonna expect me to top that one this year. lol theres no denying it, this knife is a real beast.

Hmmmmmmmm.........

Use or not to use, that is the question. Lets see,

Pro's
Badass, big blade......

Con's
Can't be replaced
Out of production for 14yrs
BNIB, never used to date
Not many out there....

I'd say, bank it, use it as a convo piece, but if you want one to use, just get a current production out of 1095CV and use the hell outta it. Kabars are one of those knives that I try to find old, and in decent shape, for my collection. I just love them.

Like I said, last one I saw sold recently went for $250.......which is a helluva lot more than it cost new....

Moose

i traded for it on this board... a $100 pair of brass knuckles straight across and i had no clue what it was worth. guess a guy gets lucky once in awhile lol

i traded for it on this board... a $100 pair of brass knuckles straight across and i had no clue what it was worth. guess a guy gets lucky once in awhile lol

Daaaaaaaaamn...............

Good trade......

I got some stuff to trade if you aren't wanting to keep it anymore.....

:D

Moose

lol...thanks Moose but i think im gonna keep this one. i'll just keep it around the house for fondling and maybe i'll order one of the HUGE Ka-Bars for deer camp.
nothing says "dont be peeking at my hand" like a giant knife stuck in the card table. :D

Wow! I never knew that Kabar had paired their next Gen handle with that blade. Good score! I say keep it NIB and get a current style to use.

Back