R7 Thoughts

I walked into the company CP. Sergeant Apala looked at me.

"Shirley, why do you have that deerslayer on your leg?"

"That's the knife a friend made for me."

"That's too conspicuous when you're not in battle rattle."

"Uh, okay, roger, sergeant."

Fortunately, I had a box from HI waiting. The R7 is a copy of the Shrade Sharpfinger, and a very useful and size-efficient knife it is...definitely not too conspicuous, even without armor!

The R7 is an attractive little knife, and the handle is shaped well enough that slippage should never be a factor. I do notice that the handle is gilded. We'll see how well that holds up.

A variety of holds can be utilized well, and the versatile shape maximizes blade length.

R7 in sheath.

n69403225_30214896_1345.jpg

On my side.

With the bottom of the sheath tucked into my pocket.

Saber.

Reverse.

Spine.

Looks great, John:)

Once upon a time, when i went off to college, i followed all the rules and left all of my knives at home (this is not a bad thing as I had not yet discovered HI). Before long, i found that even dorm life required a good sharp piece of steel to do the various tasks of a college kid. I eneded up picking up a Sharpfinger from Wally World. Man, did i ever put that knife through its paces. I even snapped off the tip and reground it twice. I still have it somewhere. However, your pics have me sold on picking one of these up from Yangdu the next time one presents itself.

Jake

I like the R-series knives. I've got one. Not that one though. Its a real useable knife. Great post. Its funny to hear of a soldier with weapons that are too conspicuous. You've got to let me make you a custom sheath for that one John. I'll send you one of my extras with the package that will go out this week. I'm pretty sure it'll fit it.

I was overjoyed to see the R7 offered, since I'd lobbied for it, but was taken back by the odd three-material handle in which it was originally offered. I think this design really offers a chance to show off nice wood- we'll see if that happens in the future.

A Sharpfinger was my first fixed blade, Jake. It's a design that just never gets "dated", it's so useful.

Andy, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks. :) Yeah, it's not like I carry an automatic weapon- and ammunition- around with me everywhere! Wouldn't want a conspicuous 5"-bladed knife...

John

So John, I read your Sergeant to say that a whacking big knife is too conspicuous when not in full battle rattle...

... but in battle rattle? Am I looking in vain for an HI handle peeking out somewhere?

Tom,

I couldn't find a good way to attach the Soldier's Knife to my IBA, so I just slid it onto my belt. This meant taking an extra minute to put it on every morning, but had the advantage of mounting my knife on my person, so it was with me, even when I took my body armor off...which means it's not in the pic. Sorry! :)

No apologies needed by me, John. Just glad to hear that regulations haven't prevented keeping something strong and sharp on your person, where and when it's needed.

t.

Thanks for putting that on in the morning.

Congrats on the great little blade that found its way to you.

Edit - any pics of this "Soldier's Knife" laying around? I went on a little trip through the archive (which was fun) but didn't find anything except your Crow that might fit the bill.

John, what is the handle material? Almost looks like aluminum. (And another one with brass liners?)

I have one of the 3 peice ones. Wasn't sure in the pic, but ended up being very well done and functional. I agree that for a soldier though the brass-antler-chandan might not be the most inconspicous choice. :D

Norm

Tohatchi, the Soldier's Knife was made for me by Shane Justice. (Shane had a pretty bad time some months ago; his infant son almost died. He doesn't have his own internet access anymore, but he's doing well now, and his family's healthy.)

(edit)There's a picture of Shane and his family in the first pic in my pics thread in the Cantina.

Norm, you're right, the handle does look like aluminum (I don't have a magnet, btw), but it's gilded- there's a little missing in places near the brass liners, and I can see darker metal underneath. The top layer of metal is obviously fairly soft, as it scratches easily.

Nice picture, thank you John

Thanks for the update. I ran across that pic in another of your threads, but having the details from Shane were great. Reminds me of an Ed Fowler Pronghorn.

Back