ragweed forge axe question

Hi everyone, I have been a member of bladeforums for a while but am new to this sub forum. I was hoping you could help me out. I found an axe on ragweed forge and it has me interested. Its a norse ship builing axe that is in the bearded axe style. I really like this style because it looks neat in my opinion and my family history comes from nordic countries, so naturally I'm drawn to it. I was wondering if bearded axes like this one are useful in real life and if anyone had experience with this particular axe. As much as I would love just hanging it on wall, I want an axe I can take out in the woods and USE.

-Alex

Are you referring to the Roselli axe? I haven't got one myself, but the Roselli knives are excellent.

The advantage of a bearded axe is that you can move your grip up behind the cutting edge, giving you as much control as with an ulu. So you can use it for carving and skinning as well as chopping.

Most Norse axes have a large beard for the reason Esav stated. The Norse used their axe as their primary tool, doing most work from wood cutting to carving to game prep, even food prep with it and being ablt to choke up behind the edge makes this much easier.

I assume you're talking about the Rosellis at Ragweed forge?
The 18" one:
r850.jpg

Would probably be the most useful all-around, as it's small enough for one handed use, and large enough for two handed use.

All of the stuff I've bought from Ragweed has been very good.

i saw the roselli and I do like it, but I am refering to the allen foundry ship building axe.

23L.jpg

And thank you for all the help on the bearded axe shape. I like the idea of choking up on it

well I have had good experience with ragweed forge in the past so I will probably get it with some birthday money. I'll make sure to write a review and put some pictures up.

-Alex

I have some bearded axes from the Gransfors Ancient Axes collection. One is a fairly practical shape (not too radical of a beard) with a handle a bit over two feet. I've taken it on a couple car camps and used it quite a bit with no problems. That said, I don't think it has any significant advantages over my axes of more modern style.

DancesWithknives

I've got that ship-builder's axe--from Ragnar, but in carbon steel. Although it's not been used extensively in the woods, I have used it while camping.

The model I have holds an edge well, and could certainly be considered a bit of a multi-tool; the beard allows for choking way up on the shaft.

It's a nice piece of work, and almost identical to one I saw at the Rosskilde ship museum. I will add that those ship-builder's axes don't seem to sit on the shelf too long, so I'd decide quickly.

Ragnar's a good man. Email him with your questions.

s12.aaxtell, you're very welcome. Your thread got me to drop by Ragnar's site, and I ordered one of his Viking Belt axes. I guess it goes with my "handle," a berzerker can never have too many axes.

Best regards.

Back