Rainy afternoon project (Pic heavy)

Title says it all, decided to etch, strip and create a sheath for my Axe Hammer. It was my first time etching with a 9volt battery and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I've learned a lot here but I'm always humbled by the great work of others. Cheers!

Etching and stripping

etching-stripping_zps9rtzco2m.jpg

Bending Kydex

sheath-making_zpsx7rw7rjj.jpg

Finished Sheath

finished-sheath_zpsxjxagnr2.jpg

Finished Project

finished-project_zps6bvyvrl9.jpg

Nice!!! Looks like old school competition finish. Well done :thumbup:

How did you post pics side by side?

Nice!!! Looks like old school competition finish. Well done :thumbup:

How did you post pics side by side?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I created a photo collage with an editing tool before I uploaded them.

Sweet man, looks great! I've recently tried some etching myself. Very surprised how easy it was, thanks for the tips rcb, did 4 blades yesterday.

Wow that looks mint !! !! Really great work there !

One of these days I'll get up the courage to remove the coating on one :) lol

That looks like a factory Comp finish !!

That's a real bang up job! Really, really nice...:thumbup:

Is your negative lead clamped onto the bare blade edge itself?

If so, did it corrode or scale up the edge in any way?...I'm guessing "No" or you wouldn't do it that way, duh :eek:....just trying to be certain.

Well done! I need to do this, but actually was wondering the same thing P2.1 asked. :)

I have a bunch of 9v batteries and leads I put together for some ti anodizing, but haven't tried etching yet.

Well done! I need to do this, but actually was wondering the same thing P2.1 asked. :)

I have a bunch of 9v batteries and leads I put together for some ti anodizing, but haven't tried etching yet.

Yup, and when you guys talk about using a 9v cell, you're talking about one of those large lantern batteries, right?

Positive lead clamped to blade
Negative lead clamped to Q-tip
This is how I did it.

thanks zom-b!

I also used regular small 9v batteries for my anodizing. Hook them up in series to change the voltage, which in turn changes the color of the titanium. It's been a while since I've done it, but iirc: one was bronze, two was purple, three was blue, and so on.

Connect as many as needed for the desired color, like this:

2my57r5.jpg

For anodizing, the only other things you would need are a cathode and an electrolyte bath (borax and water, cola, etc.) I was thinking that using several batteries in series would also potentially help speed up the etch.

i also used regular small 9v batteries for my anodizing. Hook them up in series to change the voltage, which in turn changes the color of the titanium. It's been a while since i've done it, but iirc: One was bronze, two was purple, three was blue, and so on.

2my57r5.jpg

for anodizing, the only other things you would need are a cathode and an electrolyte bath (borax and water, cola, etc.) i was thinking that using several batteries in series would also potentially help speed up the etch.

cool!

Thanks for all the kind words guys!!!!

Yup, here's a pic of the primitive setup I had. Nothing really to it. Just attached the positive to the edge (I'm not sure if it matters either way) of the blade it didn't cause any damage to the blade. I didn't even think of the potential of it causing a problem beforehand to be honest oops! The only other thing I did was attached a q-tip to the negative end and dip it in salt water. I put about a half a cup of hot water in a cup and just kept adding salt and mixing it up. I really didn't keep track of how much I used. I just made sure when I pressed the q-tip to the logo it had a reaction. You get this really nasty smoke that comes off it so make sure you do it in a ventilated area.

20170226_150714_zpsdkim8okt.jpg

Last edited:
I also used regular small 9v batteries for my anodizing. Hook them up in series to change the voltage, which in turn changes the color of the titanium. It's been a while since I've done it, but iirc: one was bronze, two was purple, three was blue, and so on.

2my57r5.jpg

For anodizing, the only other things you would need are a cathode and an electrolyte bath (borax and water, cola, etc.) I was thinking that using several batteries in series would also potentially help speed up the etch.

Nice inkynate, I didn't know you could anodize with 9v batteries too!

I really need to get some gator clips. There's no going back from here. I used to use pcb etch and leave it on all nite but the results weren't even close to what I got after 2 min using a 9v battery.

Great job. I got the stuff, now I just need to get this done. I have been talking about doing this myself for a long time. Was looking at the etchant this weekend and still did not make the plunge. I just got to make that jump and not look back. Thanks for posting.

Back