Rainy day waiting....WAS Shark & JouFuu Review

Elite_KG

Gold Member
Well just browsing the WAS threads as I often do these days. More so today since the weather is horrible and I'm waiting for USPS to deliver my WAS knife and JouFuu sheath. Been a long time coming and the pics looked awesome. I plan to post later with an update.
Anyone else browsing can comment on their WAS experiences or admirations of the WAS knives. I'm not going anywhere most if today. Internet is good in days like today!
Thanks Allen for the design contest and the other awesome creations your produce. I will be waiting on the lil'George next...

Last edited:
So the mail lady finally came. A little late, but who would want to be out in this weather. It actually arrive a "business" day early. The WAS "Shark" was suppose be here Tuesday. There is enough water in my yard it could have swam here.

Man all I can say is it is way better in hand to me. If anyone is biased it would be me since I originally designed it on paper, but Allen is phenomenal at making this thing come to life. I put the knife on my drawing here at the house and it matched within about 1/16" in length difference. I would attribute this to final grinding and shaping. The real deal gives tangibility to a simple thought on paper. I always wanted a "mini-Bushfinger" in SS. Never could find anything that could fill that role. Guess this is one way to get it.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the pics either here in the WAS forum or in the Allen's "new model" thread in the Fiddleback forum. I will post a pic here of the new "prize" possession next to my Bushfinger for context.

Later I can provide a real use opinion, but for now my first impression is quite positive. Fair to a true review or first impression the only lacking quality for me would be its not a tapered tang. I did not request or indicate tapered tang because of the smaller size, but my hand is familiar with my tapered tang Bushfinger. Also maybe just a touch more handle length, say 1/8" or 5/32" would make a 4 finger grip more natural. Anyone with larger than average hands may not find a 4 finger grip possible or comfortable. For me I can utilize both a 4 or 3 finger grip. Adds a bit of dexterity with the 3 finger grip and more secured grip with 4.

I must say I love the swedge. Not too "tacticool" but adds a touch of flare. Makes the spine profile quite attractive. I know it makes the tip more delicate, but for me it's a suitable loss for the overall appeal.

The scales Allen had chose from are amazing. I just wanted blue. The two tone is superb and the contrasting pins just add to the overall appearance. I like that Allen vertically centered the trinity pins as my rendition had them lower.

I live in SW Louisiana (near where Andy is originally from) and carbon steel, while popular, takes a beating from the salty atmosphere and salt/brackish water. This is my first custom fixed blade in SS and CPM154 is quite the workhorse SS. Couldn't be more pleased with that aspect.

On to the pants, sheath or scabbard; whichever you prefer. I delayed receiving this knife to have Bud (Bonafide: JouFuu) make a sheath for the new jewel. Since the Shark is a new model, Bud needed the knife to model. Luckily he is a Fiddleback Shark himself and had a knife to pick-up. Bud took the knife and crafted the scabbard at my request. It too is quite amazing. I really like the size, weight, and especially then "alpha wolf" tooling. I'm a big working dog enthusiast so the K-9 relation appeals to me. The lighter stitching provides a two tone looks and shows off the straight lines. The retention and Bud's belt loop design is such that it can be confidently carried in the vertical or horizontal position. I plan to use both as I will EDC this knife at times.

Together the package is pretty much my "grail" when it comes to smaller fixed blades. This is a knife of special origin and I don't intend to part with it.

Thank you Allen (WAS Knives) and Bud (JouFuu Leather) for your craftsmanship. You both have great talent and produced one hell of a package. I'm sure you both will have continued success with products such as these. I would also like to thank Andy with Fiddleback forge for turning me on to quality hand made fixed blades and mentoring Allen in the craft. Without Fiddleback I may never have known of Allen and WAS knives. My best to you all!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks Kevin. Glad you're happy with it. Looks good paired with Allen's knife for sure.

Last edited:
I really like the handles on your Shark! I'll be sure and post some pictures when my Skera gets here.

I really want to see the "Skera." Your scales looked pretty cool even in the rough-out. Do you know what they are?

The shark looks fantastic. Congrats to you and Cooper for winning the design contest. Can't wait to see what Allen does when he works these designs into his rotation of knives.
Preston

Burgundy micarta, with what looks like brass liners.

If it is brass it would be a first for me to see. I looked again and it appears to be natural canvas liners with natural pins. They use that configuration quite often. Especially with maroon linen. We'll see....

The shark looks fantastic. Congrats to you and Cooper for winning the design contest. Can't wait to see what Allen does when he works these designs into his rotation of knives.
Preston

Thanks Uncle_P! I've bee riding this high of excitement for sometime. Very pleased.

That maroon linen has some really nice black contrast. I really want to see it finished out. I'm sure you will love the knife. Kinda sweet having a thought in you head end up in your hand. It is great of Allen to do this.
So is your CPM154?

I'm not sure if it's stainless or not. I don't remember specifically requesting it.

I was just wondering. I know Allen uses both, but prefers SS. I prefer the SS as well given my location.

CPM 154 is one of my favorite stainless steels. It is strong, holds an edge very well and very stain resistant. This all ads up to a great user knife, especially where you guys living along the gulf coast reside.

Back