Ram horn handle

I've recently finished my first long blade, a 7 inch bowie with a ram horn handle. (Yeah, I know, but longer than the hunters I'm used to). The blade and handle came out great (even if I do say so myself). However, this was my first sheep horn handle and am concerned how it softened up under water (while cleaning the buffing compound out). Is there a stabilization that must be done to sheep horn? Anyone use this material much?

Thanks,

Dan
Hannon Bearpaw Knives

Ed Fowler uses nearly nothing but sheepshorn on his knives. The only thing he mentiones in his book and articles is that he seasones it for at least four years before using it.
Personally i don't like horn handles very much because there is no real way to stabilize it like you can do with wood. Nothing, not even epoxy, will really stick to horn. And it doesn't like humidity. It will come apart sooner or later even from the sweat of your hands.

Achim

You can send it off and have it stabilized just like you do wood and it will help some.
Bruce

------------------
Bruce Evans Handcrafted Knives
The soul of the Knife begins in the Fire!!!!!
Member of,AKTI#A000223 and The American Bladesmith Society
asmallpicofbruceforforums.jpg

Thanks, However, I've already applied the handle to the knife.

I've attached the picture to see if I can. Hope this works. Not a great picture, but another new trick...

Dan
Hannon Bearpaw Knives

imp]

Back