Rare Benchmade Inbound: 705-02

Hi everyone. I dont think I've ever posted in this sub before. Many years ago, I used to exclusively carry Benchmade knives. I have branched out much further now but there was a time I didn't think a better knife was around. In that time, the 705 was my favorite knife, and already discontinued.

I've had 3 different 705s in the past, and a 707. One was a 705-401, another was a PE 705 in ATS34 and another PE in 154CM. I always felt that the 707 was an improvement in some ways, but ultimately just not as pleasing to use/handle as the 705.

Today I finally found the 705 I was looking for. a 705-02 Prototype, marked with my birth month. I am extremely stoked to get this knife, and will post lots of pictures when I do get it in.

Very cool. I'm more partial to the 707 blade shape. But I really like the series either way. It has great blade:handle ratio that gives you an adequate 3" blade in a surprisingly small handle. My 707 isn't going anywhere.

Post a family shot when you get them all together.

I think I saw one of the prototypes on Ebay for like $230. It was blue. I really liked it. Somehow they appear up there somewhat often. Its a neat knife. I really want a 705. obviously with my username the 707 is near and dear to me. Post some pics when its in?

Very cool. I'm more partial to the 707 blade shape. But I really like the series either way. It has great blade:handle ratio that gives you an adequate 3" blade in a surprisingly small handle. My 707 isn't going anywhere.

Post a family shot when you get them all together.
I carried and used my 707 well then lost it going to college about 6 years ago now. I gifted the others away and sold one unfortunately, so this will be my only 705 now! Seeing how hard they've become to acquire, I really wish I kept the 705-401 and the ATS34 one...

I think I saw one of the prototypes on Ebay for like $230. It was blue. I really liked it. Somehow they appear up there somewhat often. Its a neat knife. I really want a 705. obviously with my username the 707 is near and dear to me. Post some pics when its in?

Yeah funny how that works, I never see them for sale here or really anywhere else. I'll absolutely post pics! My primary thing is that 705 filled my hand way better than the slim profile of the 707.

I think you can toss on a blade from the 707 if you want. Best of both worlds I guess.

As a matter of fact, you can, but you need to shave down the back spacer for the larger 707 blade. I actually did this with my 707 and 705-401. Stupid choice really, taking the blade out of a LE knife and popping it into a different regular production handle. Wasn't working out very well so I just swapped the scales instead eventually. Hindsight 20/20 it wasn't worth it. While I lost the 707, the friend I gave the would be 705-401 with 707 scales still has it so I'll see if he can send me some pics of it, or take some myself next I see him.

Congrats on a very nice version of the 705, which I much prefer over the 707. Being a Prototype that makes this an heirloom collectable and a piece of Benchmade history. Lucky find!

Congrats on a very nice version of the 705, which I much prefer over the 707. Being a Prototype that makes this an heirloom collectable and a piece of Benchmade history. Lucky find!

Good to see some more 705 enthusiasts. When I used to be on the Benchmade forums years ago, it was a knife with a huge diehard following of users and collectors. Thanks!

Good to see some more 705 enthusiasts. When I used to be on the Benchmade forums years ago, it was a knife with a huge diehard following of users and collectors. Thanks!

I would suggest there are many 705 enthusiasts out there. Compared to the 710, the 705 was short lived. They are still worth seeking as great EDC tools.

At one time, the 705 was my favorite BM, hands down. So much so that a friend and I petitioned BM with the help of the old school BM Forum folks to make the 2001 Forum 705 with M2 blade steel, carbon fiber scales, and Devo-hat standoffs.

Mine is #1/100, not 1 of 100. Mine is the number usually reserved for Mr. D'Asis. I'll take some pics one of these days.

Congrats on your incoming 705.

Professor.

At one time, the 705 was my favorite BM, hands down. So much so that a friend and I petitioned BM with the help of the old school BM Forum folks to make the 2001 Forum 705 with M2 blade steel, carbon fiber scales, and Devo-hat standoffs.

Mine is #1/100, not 1 of 100. Mine is the number usually reserved for Mr. D'Asis. I'll take some pics one of these days.

Congrats on your incoming 705.

Professor.
Believe it or not, I remember you from the BM forum. Cool story! Les is a great guy, I had the pleasure of meeting him at the BLADE BM Forum lunch in 05 and 06.

Regards

Believe it or not, I remember you from the BM forum. Cool story! Les is a great guy, I had the pleasure of meeting him at the BLADE BM Forum lunch in 05 and 06.

Regards

Heck, I probably met you also. I was at one of those lunches, I believe! I know my good friend Pete was. Man, he woulda loved that BFC has a BM forum now.

Last edited:
Heck, I probably met you also. I was at one of those lunches, I believe! I know my good friend Pete was. Man, he woulda loved that BFC has a BM forum now.

Man, we did meet! Wow! Pete was there and so was John (Sabu71) and a bunch of other guys. I was very young back then, 16. I'm 24 now so still very young but not as much of a jackass, I assure you. Engaged, no free time, etc. Life has taught me some very valuable lessons in the last 10 years. Sorry for my ignorance but it's been a long time, Pete is no longer with us is he? I hope that isn't rude to ask, I don't know what other way to word it...

Nah, he wouldn't care. Pete was one of a kind. He passed away several years ago. Between he and I, we at one time owned just about every Bali-Song USA, Pacific Cutlery, and Benchmade model ever made. He kept me interested in knives all the way from the other side of the country. He'd come out and stay with my family once a year -- I was too chicken to fly out west.

Was that the luncheon that Mike Snody and Neil Blackwood came and sat in on?

I've been to three Blade Shows, and I couldn't tell you what years they were!

Nah, he wouldn't care. Pete was one of a kind. He passed away several years ago. Between he and I, we at one time owned just about every Bali-Song USA, Pacific Cutlery, and Benchmade model ever made. He kept me interested in knives all the way from the other side of the country. He'd come out and stay with my family once a year -- I was too chicken to fly out west.

Was that the luncheon that Mike Snody and Neil Blackwood came and sat in on?

I've been to three Blade Shows, and I couldn't tell you what years they were!
Several years...man have I been gone a while...RIP, he was truly a great man. I remember being an eager kid always checking your posts and learning from your knowledge of BM models and their history. Thank you for your kindness.

That lunch you mentioned was not in 05 but might've been 06. Can't recall really, but I met Mike Snody at his booth not the luncheon.

Man it's nice to see some of you guys over here. Between the bunch of us there's a lot of Benchmade history. And Blade's the better for it.

Cheers!
Joe

Several years...man have I been gone a while...RIP, he was truly a great man. I remember being an eager kid always checking your posts and learning from your knowledge of BM models and their history. Thank you for your kindness.

That lunch you mentioned was not in 05 but might've been 06. Can't recall really, but I met Mike Snody at his booth not the luncheon.

Man it's nice to see some of you guys over here. Between the bunch of us there's a lot of Benchmade history. And Blade's the better for it.

Cheers!
Joe
Cheers Joe! It's amazing how much has changed. My first 705 was ATS34 and my Grip was 440C with the oval hole sheepsfoot blade before they changed it to circular hole. Maybe the hole is the same and I just have a clouded memory. Great to be here talking about older days.

The 705 is still one of my favorites, too. I have a satin PE ATS-34 and a BK PE 154CM. Great little knives.

Congrats on a great find! The 705 is a nice knife. I prefer the 707 and think it is the most practical knife Benchmade has ever made. If you had to choose one knife for dress, casual, and field, I would be hard pressed to think of one better. The 705 is in a similar category and the 707 is the natural evolution of the species, so to speak.

Back