RAT II in D2 ??

I heard there was a Rat 3 in M390 from a certain place because the D2 Rat 2 didn't come to market quick enough. Could there be any truth to this? Sure hope the D2 Rat 2 is in stores soon.:)

I purchased an Essee Zancudo in D2. They are reportedly made in the same factory as the RAT knives in Taiwan. It gets super shart but the edge is a bit prone to rolling. Does Ontario use the same D2? Anyone else with issues?

I purchased an Essee Zancudo in D2. They are reportedly made in the same factory as the RAT knives in Taiwan. It gets super shart but the edge is a bit prone to rolling. Does Ontario use the same D2? Anyone else with issues?

Good question, hope someone can answer this. I would assume so since they are both produced at the same facility.

I was going to order a Rat 1 with D2 steel for a weekend outdoors beater here soon, should I stick with AUS-8?

No, definitely not! I got in two Avispa's this week to resell. I was very impressed. If I was to do my personal edc purchase again, I would go with the RAT-2 over the Zancudo but I would take the Avispa over the RAT-1. I think the D2 still holds an edge better but is definitely harder to sharpen but not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't have a zancudo in d2, but i do have Rat1's in d2. I also don't know your level of sharpening experience, but my guess is it either came with a wire bur or you created one from sharpening it on something like a spyderco sharpmaker. That bur is likely rolling over whenever you cut something stiff. search youtube or this website for bur removal and try a few methods. Properly stropping D2 can be difficult since it is such a tough steel. I found i need to apply a lot of pressure for bur removal, and then return to the stones for 10-12 extremely light alternating passes and then another 10-12 extremely light alternating passes on the strop.

Hope this helps

i don't have a zancudo in d2, but i do have Rat1's in d2. I also don't know your level of sharpening experience, but my guess is it either came with a wire bur or you created one from sharpening it on something like a spyderco sharpmaker. That bur is likely rolling over whenever you cut something stiff. search youtube or this website for bur removal and try a few methods. Properly stropping D2 can be difficult since it is such a tough steel. I found i need to apply a lot of pressure for bur removal, and then return to the stones for 10-12 extremely light alternating passes and then another 10-12 extremely light alternating passes on the strop.

Hope this helps

Thank you! You are correct, I'm using lansky crocsticks. I also strop my knives and I will follow your instructions. Have a great day!

Thank you! You are correct, I'm using lansky crocsticks. I also strop my knives and I will follow your instructions. Have a great day!

Yeah my guess is you are probably folding the bur from one side of the apex to the other as you alternate strokes, and then "aligning" it with the cutting edge during stopping. So on first few cuts through any medium the bur is acting as the sharpened edge but then is getting folded over every cut. Strop with a lot of pressure after the course stone. Just realize that you will take off the bur (good) but you will also dull the apex (bad) from the pressure. So you will have to redefine the apex again with light alternating strokes. At this stage, the lighter stroke the better to avoid another large bur formation. Then Strop lightly. Check for a bur. I like to trailing drag the edge across my thumbnail to feel for a bur. It feels almost like nails on chalkboard with a bur present, very smooth if the bur isn't there. Remember to check both sides of the edge because it may be folded over on one side.

On there FB page, OKC said they don't know if a D2 Rat-2 will be made. I've since moved on to the Esee Zancudo. Sad, because I really like the Rat-2 format.

I haven't written anything on bladeforums since the departure/migration of ESEE. I check this thread just about once per day to see if there's any update (and to poke around in other subforums). Someone somewhere thinks there's enough of a demand for an updated RAT 2 to ask you guys to make it, and some folk here are eager to meet that demand. I've held off on a RAT 2 purchase for this specific update. I'm ready to throw my money at you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A friend of mine just showed me his new RAT model 2 this morning. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfy it felt and how slim it was.

I am so ready to buy at least two of these. Updates please!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

While I understand the whole D2 thing, I love my Rat II in AUS8. It gets razer sharp and holds an edge well enough for me. Personally I find D2 rather hard to sharpen And when my Rat II needs sharpening, just a few strokes and its ready.

You know, I was initially all for a D2 version of the Rat 2, but now that I think about it, D2 would not be a good choice for the Rat 2. Given the overall size is smaller than the Rat 1 and the drop point shaped blade could potentially chip/break easily with a hard steel like D2, I would pass on this. Plus, D2 does absolutely zero for corrosion resistance. D2 works great on the Rat 1, and I know OKC may not want to hear this, but I have the D2 version of the Jeff Randall-designed Avispa and Zancudo. The modified shape and point on those two models, in my opinion, make better use of the D2 steel. With that said, you'd be hard pressed to find a better all around knife than the Rat 2 in AUS8. I own several and love them.

Back