Rattle in my 0350 giving me concerns

I've recently obtained my very first Zero Tolerance today, and have began hearing a rattle in the knife when fully opened, but not when closed. Could this be an issue with the SpeedSafe mechanis?

I would hope that this knife wouldn't of suffered damaged after cutting a can of soda in half and a little box cutting montage. Hopefully I don't have to send it to warranty services and can just fix the problem myself.

Any advice would be appreciated

It's normal, it's just the torsion bar rattling (the spring for the assist) if you take it apart and put some lithium (or other) grease on and around the torsion bar it will take care of the rattle. But to answer your question, no, it's not a functional problem. ~Kirby

I forgot to mention, there is no play in the blade and the lock up is solid. Although I do wish the lock went over a bit more

It's normal, it's just the torsion bar rattling (the spring for the assist) if you take it apart and put some lithium (or other) grease on and around the torsion bar it will take care of the rattle. But to answer your question, no, it's not a functional problem. ~Kirby

Ah, thanks for the info. Will do when I get off my shift

Mine does the same thing. Still opens like a champ I wouldn't worry about it.

Had the Kershaw rattle on the 0350 awhile back too. Nothing to worry about, it's normal. Like 9Blades said, open it up and put some grease it. I used Vaseline, and no rattle since.

It won't rattle when closed because the spring is compressed and the tension keeps the spring snug in the cavity. When the blade is open the tail end of the spring is floating in the cavity and can rattle. From the factory all speedsafe knives have grease in the cavity to dampen the rattles, over time however the grease disappears and rattles start. Any grease can be used but if you ever use a knife for food prep, consider something like Superlube multipurpose synthetic grease http://www.super-lube.com/synthetic-multipurpose-grease-ezp-49.html that is NSF approved for contact with food. Vasoline would probably work as well, but it's not a synthetic and from what I've learned reading marketing literature on lubricants, synthetic lubricants may increase the life of your knife by up to 10,000 miles, and Vasoline doesn't sound as... super.

Back